Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Advice Required Regarding Carbon Deposits:

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

dotti
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:14 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Advice Required Regarding Carbon Deposits: Reply with quote

The brake cable broke on my bike last night, so while I got that repaired, I also got the sparkplug replaced, as there were signs that it needed replacing (misfiring, backfiring, getting harder to start etc).

If you have a look at https://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html , you will find that my sparkplug is a carbon copy (no pun intended) of sparkplug number 3.

Now first of all, the sparkplug I removed could have been in the bike for years and years. It is near impossible to find a tool to remove it. Even the bike shop struggled to find one to get the plug out. some of the other things that were lacking when I bought the bike signify that it was not well looked after in the past. I am not going to jump to any conclusions unless the new plug undergoes the same fate.

The website above suggests that there are four main causes for such a problem:
    1. A plug with too high a heat rating (it is running the standard, suggested plug. This was confirmed today).

    2. Use of a too rich air, fuel mixture.

    3. Trouble in the ignition system

    4. Improperly functioning cooling system (it's air cooled. How can it be too effective?)


The question I have is what steps could I undertake to establish which of these four points is most likely to be the cause?

Other factors:

    1. The carb had a blocked jet which was recently fixed. However, surely this would make the bike run lean, rather than run rich (or is my understanding of rich/lean incorrect?)

    2. Until very recently (which is why I changed the plug) the bike always started first time.

    3. The bike burns about 500mls of oil per 1000 miles, but according to the guy I spoke to at the bike shop today this is normal for GN250's.


Off topic, but on the bright side, the guys at the bike shop were very impressed with the condition of the bike. They said it is in "awesome" condition considering it is 23 years old. Incidentally only 2 years younger than me Shocked
____________________
Dangerous traffic offences spotted on 50-minute trip: Lost count after 100. Number of traffic cops spotted: One, sitting by a speed-trap camera


Last edited by dotti on 15:19 - 11 Mar 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:16 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mucky air filter? That'll make it go rich. I'm not sure if a dodgy HT lead will do much for it either. An unblocked jet would make it run richer, but if it's what it should be anyway, I shouldn't have thought it'd make much difference. If anything, unblocking jets would make it run more smoothly I should think.

No blue smoke from the exhaust I presume? Leaky valve seals, rings that kind of thing perhaps if so.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dotti
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:52 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned the new air filter 1200 miles ago. Incidentally, I already checked that and it is still in perfect condition.

Quote:
If anything, unblocking jets would make it run more smoothly I should think.


You're right there. You may remember my topic regaring this issue (I remember you posted on it). I had the blocked jet that caused the engine to misfire above 80mph (and only above 80mph which puzzled a lot of people).

Quote:
No blue smoke from the exhaust I presume? Leaky valve seals, rings that kind of thing perhaps if so.


No smoke at all and never has been.

Quote:
Mmmm, Guinness!


Agree Mr. Green
____________________
Dangerous traffic offences spotted on 50-minute trip: Lost count after 100. Number of traffic cops spotted: One, sitting by a speed-trap camera
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.52 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 38.92 Kb