Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


How long can you ride for?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Craggles
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: How long can you ride for? Reply with quote

Hi,

I was just thinking about how long I could ride without stopping - I tend to feel that's about an hour.

I did a 50 mile run today (as it was a nice day!), and it took me just over an hour to do - by which time I felt I needed to get off the bike and walk around a bit!

I know it was the same when I went to Cov - after about an hours riding I really needed to stop and have a break.

How long is it before you people need to get off and walk around/have a coffee?

Also, how long would you break for - long enough to buy a coffee and read the paper, or quick fag/piss break?

Craig
____________________
If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:01 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends really. If I'm going for a fun ride, I'll stop when I feel like it. However if there's serious distance needing to be done then I'll grin and bear it until my tank needs filling (110 miles-ish).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longest ride I've been on is 80 miles (or just over) and I only got off because I needed to (arrived home!!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kram
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i'm going somewhere (winchester or something) i'll go untill i need petrol... the riding position isn't to bad.

but if i'm on a fun ride with family, mates. i'll stop at any and every coffee shop and view point, for a drink n wee (respectivaly)
____________________
FS1E -> SR125 -> CB400N -> CB650 -> FZR600 Genises -> VFR400 NC21 -> CBR900RR Fireblade -> Renault Clio 1.4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to stay on the ped for 2 hours once, my arse was number afterwards though. Expect i'll be able to sit on the Bandit quite a while cause it's quite a nice seating position. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on whether I'm going somewhere in particular or just out for a blat. If I have a destination, then I guess 2 hours is the limit where I feel a break is needed, stretch the legs, take a slash, massage the buttocks etc. If I'm just having a blat, then I sometimes just like stopping if I see a roadside cafe, or interesting memorial or even if the view is particularly nice.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

El_Bandido
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:09 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 hours flew by the other weekend on the bandit. just out having fun. i did have to refuel once and i was a bit stiff afterwards
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:14 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Depends where I am going. Yes 2 hours is probably a reasonable time to stop, but if it is a 3 hour journey then I would probably carry on and do that in one go if I can.

Couple of years ago we went from the South of France to Andorra. Did that in one jump which was about 120 miles of small roads. Charlotte was on the pillion seat and did not appreciate it.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you poor poor souls.

Me & Mrs came back from ASSEN last June, set off at 09:30am and we travelled through Holland, Belgium and into France, caught the 4pm ferry over to Dover and then straight back upto sunny Manchester (well, dark Manchester) at 22:30 covering 700 miles only stopping to fuel up + cross the water.
Being a hero i stopped in the town before reaching home and bought a takeout Tikka Massala for both of us so she didn't have to put the oven on. 700 miles in 13 hrs aint bad, work it out Shocked Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny 'XX' wrote:
Oh you poor poor souls.

Me & Mrs came back from ASSEN last June, set off at 09:30am and we travelled through Holland, Belgium and into France, caught the 4pm ferry over to Dover and then straight back upto sunny Manchester (well, dark Manchester) at 22:30 covering 700 miles only stopping to fuel up + cross the water.
Being a hero i stopped in the town before reaching home and bought a takeout Tikka Massala for both of us so she didn't have to put the oven on. 700 miles in 13 hrs aint bad, work it out Shocked Shocked


Like to see you do that on a naked bike Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hustler
Crazy Courier



Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:23 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a trip to Wales with loads of people from 400GreyBike.co.uk when I had my VFR. I set off about 7am with Yams and we got back to Portsmouth about 2am the next day. (19hrs, but we did stop/eat etc)
____________________
As I said to that guy with the crutches and full camouflage gear, you can hide but you can't run.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian



Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:23 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
ive done a few 5 hour journeys with about half hour stop, think the trip up to sheffield was about 6 hours (got lost alot) and that was on a VFR400 NC30, that hurt alot.

Luke
____________________
Flounced - Long overdue
Fuck you bitch I'm in the top 10 list I can do the what the fuck I want!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:30 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not including stops for fuel I've done over 300 miles a few times without a break.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the longest I have had to ride for was a little less than 2 hours. That was a 60 mile trip. Confused The traffic was absolutely diabolical, though it was early Friday evening... Embarassed I stopped once or twice to massage the buttocks and let my hands warm up a bit.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:44 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can ride 'til I need a smoke. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Vespa
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

.

Last edited by Vespa on 22:30 - 31 Oct 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Will87
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 300 miles last saturday. 3 stops each way, every hourish for a fag. Could of made it quicker without stopping and beingable to go more than 110 miles on a tank.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once did Canterbury to Edinburgh on a GPZ500 with splash and go fuel stops. 6 1/4 hours up the A1 Twisted Evil

Regularly used to do 4 hours between Edinburgh and Huntly. I also went Carlisle to Plockton with one stop at Glencoe to empty my trousers after the storm force winds over Rannoch moor.

If you want to get somewhere, you just kind of hunker down and get on with it, at other times I can faff about with the best of them.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Black Knight
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:02 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Depends where I am going. Yes 2 hours is probably a reasonable time to stop, but if it is a 3 hour journey then I would probably carry on and do that in one go if I can.

Couple of years ago we went from the South of France to Andorra. Did that in one jump which was about 120 miles of small roads. Charlotte was on the pillion seat and did not appreciate it.

All the best

Keith


Have you got a standard seat bud? I find my seat very uncomfortable after 50 or 60 miles. Maybe its just my bony arse!

To answer the question, I'd go as long as I need to really. Most i've done is around 2 1/2 hours without stopping. I would be quite happy sat on a touring bike much longer than that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Simple
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:09 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rode from bassets pole to the cat and fiddle in the peaks with one stop for a m8 on an r6 to get petrol,


i dint have to stop for petrol on the way there or back ....


varadero is sooo comfy could ride it all day...wish it went a bit faster Crying or Very sad


simple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Valver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:42 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
I can ride 'til I need a smoke. Laughing


I agree! or need fuel.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:44 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was just thinking about how long I could ride without stopping


Till my girlfriend kicks me off!!!

Oh, we talking about bikes here?? Embarassed Laughing
____________________
Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZR6 wrote:
Have you got a standard seat bud? I find my seat very uncomfortable after 50 or 60 miles. Maybe its just my bony arse!


Standard seat, but not really used the FZR for any long journies yet (longest about an hour). The seat is not that good, but far better than my old FZ750 or the Bimota.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the VFR things started getting uncomfortable after about an hour, and a break was needed after about two.

I've not really been out for long on the TZR, but after about an hour again I want to move around a bit more.
____________________
TT600 neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeowwww!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 18 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

did 7 hours on a 50cc ped in a day once, 25 minute hospital appointment plus 20 minute macdonalds in between

90 mile journey from watford to portsmouth, main bike was in bits, needed to make the appointment on the cheap, probly wouldnt do it again, but it was an experience

will ride for as long as it takes generally

for fun, i become mentally fatigued after about 2 hours of hooning i think
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 2.1 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 129.27 Kb