|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:10 - 18 Mar 2005 Post subject: Biking etiquette (FAO Experienced Hooners) |
 |
|
Hi, today on my 'dear god its warm, im free, and i have a cbr 600 to play on) hoon earlier on't buntingford road, two things struck me.
On one of the latter corners it was covered in mud and it caught me out a tad (fucking trucks) and then an R6 was coming along a little bit further along, and i tried to figure out a way to warn him to slow down, and in the end just nodded, then wave my hand up and down. Dunno if he noticed/cared but i tried.
Then i came back down, and caught up with some B.A.B:OD on a GSXR 750. Big line of traffic, was sitting behind him. Anyway a big straight came up and we both went for it, both thought no well crash, so tucked back in. Long story short that happened a few times and we ended up toddling along at about 70 odd with traffic, neither of us having any fun. He didnt look happy when he went back up.
Any advice for how best to 'deal' with those situations. ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| flat spot |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 flat spot World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Aug 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| EuropeanNC30R... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 EuropeanNC30R... Gay Hairdresser
Joined: 20 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:22 - 18 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Quote: | On one of the latter corners it was covered in mud and it caught me out a tad (fucking trucks) and then an R6 was coming along a little bit further along, and i tried to figure out a way to warn him to slow down, and in the end just nodded, then wave my hand up and down. Dunno if he noticed/cared but i tried. |
I normally give an up/down slowing down hand signal. They may not know what the hazard is I'm warning them about, (mud, speed trap, broken down car etc.) but if it means they are hitting the corner paying more attention than they would, then it's done its job.
If they think to themselves "wanker, I ain't going too fast" then hopefully they put 2 and 2 together while they are pulling themselves out of a hedge.
| Quote: | Then i came back down, and caught up with some B.A.B:OD on a GSXR 750. Big line of traffic, was sitting behind him. Anyway a big straight came up and we both went for it, both thought no well crash, so tucked back in. Long story short that happened a few times and we ended up toddling along at about 70 odd with traffic, neither of us having any fun. He didnt look happy when he went back up. |
If you mean that you both were sitting behind a big line of traffic, as opposed to a big line of traffic was sitting behind him, then in those situations I let the other guy have first pop. If he is capable of doing it, then eventually I may follow him. If he arses about, then I'll go instead. However, if the traffic is doing 70mph, then I'm happy to sit with the traffic. ____________________ Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet
[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581] |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:25 - 18 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
@ Flatspot
Basically, i was sitting behind someone on a more powerful bike (slightly) then mine, and when opportunities to overtake came up we were left with the 'who shall go first thing'
My main point was, is there an accepted 'code' for the following or leading one goes first etc?
:edit: @ shaggy
Its a NSL road which i usually do 100 solidly through at least, dropping to about 60 on one or two corners. And i go to play on it to start with, its not a case of taking it to get somewhere, or you are right, id be happy at 70. ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:29 - 18 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well what I probably would have done is wait a couple of safe times to pass, if he didn't look like he was gonna move i'd take it later on, however if he kept hesitating if you really needed to get somewhere, I'd take the far right of the next lane just incase he pulled out. Hope that makes sense. As long as it was really safe to pass I would do so.  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:45 - 18 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well at least you was sensible and didn't risk it.  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dom |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dom World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| EuropeanNC30R... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 EuropeanNC30R... Gay Hairdresser
Joined: 20 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Claud 14.7 to 1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Claud 14.7 to 1 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 May 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:20 - 18 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Wave arm up and down, like others say to warn of a hazard, it means "slowing down" in the highway code, that's why it's used. But you probably already know that, thought I'd say anyway.
As for the confusion. I'd make it clear what I want to do. If he were ahead, I'd hold back and make 100% he wasn't going to go for the filter. If you are close then you both will be unsure, make your actions clear.
Nothing worse than confusion/hesitation, bike or car. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:37 - 18 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
| G wrote: | Arm out straight ish. Hand flat and horizontal, waved up and down. |
Pretty much what i did. And i noted a lack of plastic about so i assume he heeded.
As for the overtaking, it depends on mood to be brutally honest.
I think he would have felt happier if id have blasted past, but the first time i tried he came out too. And if hed have gone for it then id have been fine, but he kinda dawdled. So i had visions of whacking straight up his butt.
As predicted though im bored of the power already, but it dont half get me into trouble on occasion (ahem tractor ahem). Im just trying to be judicious as much as possible. I mean most cagers accept you will go for it first and be well away so no issue. Whereas if they go first then they are blocking your lane.
But bikes... hmmm. Ill admit im only just starting to get the best acceleration out of my bike. I may start up another thread about proper use of 600 inline 4's (think anyone would mind) re. snapping throttle shut mid corner, power wheelies, and avoiding rev limiters in first when doing overtakes (im usually watching what the cars doing rather then the revs and sometimes i miss it... ) ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Vespa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Vespa Traffic Copper
Joined: 12 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Silver |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Silver World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The#Doctor# |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The#Doctor# Spanner Monkey

Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| DukeRed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 DukeRed World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Mar 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:57 - 19 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I generally do the waving of arm "slowing down" signal then point at the road if there is time to indicate something wrong with the road surface. So kind of "wave, wave. Point, point"
Overtaking thing I would usually give him time to go first, once there is a bit of a gap between you you can both make progress at your own pace. If he repeatedly bottled out when you thought you could go, I would move up and pass him so I was in the lead then have a crack myself.
He should be able to tell by your road positioning that you want to move up on him and tuck in a bit to let you past in the same lane. If he looked like he didn't like the idea of this, I would just back-off and leave him to it whilst swearing under my breath. If he looked like he hadn't noticed, give him a wide bearth so you don't get tangled up in whatever he does next because it could be anything.
"Move up or move over." is what I was always told  ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|