Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Noise hitler

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Noise hitler Reply with quote

The TRX has failed on the MOT for a number of things;
Reflector on the rear
Headlight alignment
And...exhausts Rolling Eyes

I honestly don't think I have original cans handy, I've never had an issue before but my previous garage isn't around. What are my options?
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

either buy a universal baffle from ebay and fit that (just check measurements) or a cheap set of standard cans from somewhere (crash damaged are dirt cheap if you can get them). Either that or find somewhere new to get an MOT...
____________________
Ybr 125 > Bandit 650SA > GSXR 600 > Triumph Sprint St1050 > CB1300 > Z1000SX + FJ1200 (written off) > VFR750 >FJ1200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

find another mot garage that is not fussy with the end can, buy a reflector and stick it on, try and get the headlight realigned before you go in

arnt retests in the same place free of charge with 2 days?
____________________
Elen sila lummen omentielvo!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jnw010
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:20 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the bike obscenely noisy?

If it isn't, and it's just a bit on the loud side, then you probably should look for another tester in the future. That one sounds a bit picky.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Noise hitler Reply with quote

killa wrote:
The TRX has failed on the MOT for a number of things;
Reflector on the rear
Headlight alignment



Those are strange things to fail on.

The MOT tester I've used has a small box of reflectors that he'll stick on if you don't have one. He charges you 1 if you need one.

With the headlight alignment he'll adjust it but charge you a couple quid to adjust it.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:28 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a 99p red reflector and a friendly tester who's going deaf in his old age. Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:32 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Noise hitler Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Those are strange things to fail on.

The MOT tester I've used has a small box of reflectors that he'll stick on if you don't have one. He charges you 1 if you need one.

With the headlight alignment he'll adjust it but charge you a couple quid to adjust it.


Yeah, it's all easy to fix but I guess they've got nothing better to do so this just makes the day go by.

jnw010 wrote:
Is the bike obscenely noisy?

If it isn't, and it's just a bit on the loud side, then you probably should look for another tester in the future. That one sounds a bit picky.


I wouldn't say so, you might be right though.
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Paddy.
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tester being strict. The rules changed for exhausts but they expect a little noise... Some are just nazi
____________________
Current ride : Suzuki GSXR1000 L0 - Suzuki SV650 track bike - Yamaha Majesty YP250
My biking history so far
Rogerborg wrote: Whole life care for a VTR full of quadraspazzed Darrryls and Shoniq'uas cost mad dollah.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So garage you don't know fails you on things they should fail you on?

Way too many VOSA secret shoppers visiting MOT stations these days, I know one MOT place that got done for failure to check headlight alignment with a rider on the bike, they checked standing next to it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once took an old CD175 for an MOT for a mate. Test took all of 5 minutes, didn't even start it! Probably though it would be a pain to start and not worth the bother (he was right). Same place SHOULD have failed me on a reflector but said he wouldn't bother as it was petty. Told me just to buy one on the way home.

Try finding an MOT station that doesn't do any work, just tests. They have to offer a free retest within 10 days anyway so they want it to pass as much as you do.
____________________
Ybr 125 > Bandit 650SA > GSXR 600 > Triumph Sprint St1050 > CB1300 > Z1000SX + FJ1200 (written off) > VFR750 >FJ1200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:29 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
So garage you don't know fails you on things they should fail you on?


I should have pointed out I have no issue with correcting mechanical issues. I've just been on the phone to a chap down the road who does MOTs, I didn't realise it's opinion and not done on DB meter.
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:58 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomzo47 wrote:


Try finding an MOT station that doesn't do any work, just tests. They have to offer a free retest within 10 days anyway so they want it to pass as much as you do.


Councils provide MOT services.

The problem is they never do motorbike work only cars, vans and taxis and other classes that aren't bikes.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You need a 99p red reflector and a friendly tester who's going deaf in his old age. Mr. Green


Lucky for me testers have failed me on reflector but then given me one for free there and then, stuck it on and then passed it.
____________________
I learn from my big mistakes, but does learning mean not mistake 4 to kill?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take my dirt bikes to a garage that doesn't do MOT's, they do whatever needs doing, mending or unbending, and they take them some place else for an MOT, they then undo some of the things that they did do, and I pick it up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:23 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomzo47 wrote:
Try finding an MOT station that doesn't do any work, just tests. They have to offer a free retest within 10 days anyway so they want it to pass as much as you do.


Garage I use only do car work, not bikes, but MOT both, so there's no mileage in them hunting for fake things to fail bikes on when I take them.

https://www.motorvation-ltd.co.uk/mot/
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition, 28 of 200
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:10 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:


I should have pointed out I have no issue with correcting mechanical issues. I've just been on the phone to a chap down the road who does MOTs, I didn't realise it's opinion and not done on DB meter.


Going slightly OT, if they ever introduce Db meters, there's an awful lot of bikes that will be in trouble; when you test for noise, you're supposed to rev it to half max, so, in order to operate the throttle, the tester is always standing in front of the outlet, hence it's quieter to the tester's ear (that's the get out of jail card you can pull, if you get questioned about it Wink )

If they used a Db meter in the same as they do at race tracks (which would be the only reasonable way) it would be placed behind the exhaust , so it will get the full volume.

Back OT, the problem seems to be the new RfR categories - I'm slightly speculating as I haven't had cause to question a noisy pipe since the new regs came in, but on the old system, you had the option to pass and advise, now it seems to be a major or nothing.

Sickpup is right, the DVSA have made no secret of the fact that they are going mystery shopper mad, so maybe they saw an unknown customer and made an example of you, or maybe the test station is already on a warning and didn't want to take a chance.

It's starting to look like the days of the 'lenient' tester might be numbered.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana, 02 FJS600 Silver Wing, 94 XJ900F
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mpd72 CPT
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:41 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomzo47 wrote:
Once took an old CD175 for an MOT for a mate. Test took all of 5 minutes, didn't even start it! Probably though it would be a pain to start and not worth the bother (he was right). Same place SHOULD have failed me on a reflector but said he wouldn't bother as it was petty. Told me just to buy one on the way home.

Try finding an MOT station that doesn't do any work, just tests. They have to offer a free retest within 10 days anyway so they want it to pass as much as you do.


You do not need to start a bike for an MOT.
____________________
TZR250 2MA road, TZR250 1KT road, TZR250 2MA race, TDR250, YZF-750R Boost colours.
Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 Sport R, VW Transporter T5 GP LWB Shuttle 140ps DSG.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:37 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Tomzo47 wrote:
Once took an old CD175 for an MOT for a mate. Test took all of 5 minutes, didn't even start it! Probably though it would be a pain to start and not worth the bother (he was right). Same place SHOULD have failed me on a reflector but said he wouldn't bother as it was petty. Told me just to buy one on the way home.

Try finding an MOT station that doesn't do any work, just tests. They have to offer a free retest within 10 days anyway so they want it to pass as much as you do.


You do not need to start a bike for an MOT.



my last bike the lights only came on when the engine was running
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andy_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:25 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

You do not need to start a bike for an MOT.

I was always under the impression that you did...and looking at the latest MOT guide at https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class12/ you certainly do now.
gov.co.uk wrote:

8.1 Noise
8.1.1 Exhaust noise

If possible, you should assess the exhaust noise by revving the engine to approximately half the maximum engine speed. The engine should be warm before you carry out this check.

It isn't possible to rev the engine on twist and go type motorcycles.

The exhaust system and silencer should be in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the motorcycle isn't clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar motorcycle with a standard silencer in average condition.

Sad
____________________
Aprilia Classic 125, GS500E, ER5-A1, ER5-C1 & an XJ6 project frame...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:29 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does it say that you have to start the bike?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andy_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Where does it say that you have to start the bike?

I suppose it depends on how you interpret the parts where it says "If possible, you should assess the exhaust noise by revving the engine to approximately half the maximum engine speed." and "It isn't possible to rev the engine on twist and go type motorcycles."

I took it to mean that you didn't have to rev the engine if that wasn't possible (i.e. in the case of a t&g), but yeah it could be a valid argument if you have a 'hear me before you see me' exhaust! Especially if your starter motor fuse should accidentally blow just as you pull into the MOT station Wink

Although...when mine have been tested previously, the tester runs the engine while turning the bars left-to-right to make sure the throttle cable isn't stretching on full lock.
____________________
Aprilia Classic 125, GS500E, ER5-A1, ER5-C1 & an XJ6 project frame...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Despined_By_Ex
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:


If they used a Db meter in the same as they do at race tracks


Be me 2 years ago at lydden hill on the vtr.. empty cans.. vtwin.. sounded like utter death!

tester "rev it to 6000 rpm"

me: *slowly climbs to 4000rpm"

tester: no sorry

me: *gaffa tapes a baffle that sort of fits*

tester: "rev to 6000rpm"

me: *slowly rev to 3000rpm"

tester: *nods*

me:
https://i.imgur.com/7E6a417.png
____________________
Fin: no matter how much I look at It I can't understand what was going through my head, all I remember is going about 80 and redlining it to stop it seizing.
360 Deg... Five 1/4 turns. :- Teflon-Mike 18 Jan 2015
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue you have now is that the fails are recorded for all to see and so need to be sorted.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
Thank you doesn't seem to be enough, but Thank you to all, each and everyone of you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mpd72 CPT
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:58 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy_uk wrote:
mpd72 CPT wrote:

You do not need to start a bike for an MOT.

I was always under the impression that you did...and looking at the latest MOT guide at https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class12/ you certainly do now.
gov.co.uk wrote:

8.1 Noise
8.1.1 Exhaust noise

If possible
, you should assess the exhaust noise by revving the engine to approximately half the maximum engine speed. The engine should be warm before you carry out this check.

It isn't possible to rev the engine on twist and go type motorcycles.

The exhaust system and silencer should be in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the motorcycle isn't clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar motorcycle with a standard silencer in average condition.

Sad


"If possible"? Not sure it's a definite. My bikes certainly never get started during MOT's. We just wheel them in and out of the test area.
____________________
TZR250 2MA road, TZR250 1KT road, TZR250 2MA race, TDR250, YZF-750R Boost colours.
Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 Sport R, VW Transporter T5 GP LWB Shuttle 140ps DSG.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andy_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:29 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

"If possible"? Not sure it's a definite. My bikes certainly never get started during MOT's. We just wheel them in and out of the test area.

Yeah, it's a bit of a grey area...like I wrote in my reply to Ste, it could depend on how you or the MOT tester interpret it.
____________________
Aprilia Classic 125, GS500E, ER5-A1, ER5-C1 & an XJ6 project frame...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: discovery (www) - Page Generation Time: 1.40 Sec - Server Load: 0.92 - MySQL Queries: 16 - CDN Objects: 58 - Page Size: 145.04 Kb