BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ER6 Vs CB600F

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

j2ducks
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:09 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: ER6 Vs CB600F Reply with quote

I will shortly be buying my first bike. I have narrowed it down to two possible bikes. A 2010 Kawasaki er6n or a 2012 Honda CB600F Hornet.

Has anyone had experience with both?
How do they compare?

I'll be commuting most days in the summer but also want it for fun on the weekends and the odd trip with a pillion.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:52 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the condition of the machine is paramount, but from personal experience and opinion the Hornet is going to be a better bike.

I2 engines like that in the ER are just meh. They're both mid-tier commuters, but one has a sigificantly nicer engine in it, and it's not the Kwak.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ER6f was my first bike and currently commute on a Hornet.

The ER6 has better torque at low revs and is a marginally better town bike as a result. The Hornet has a punch at high revs that you need to make the bike scream to get to, whereas the ER6 gets into its stride at 5-7k and runs out of puff sooner. This is horses for courses, not one thing better than the other.

The Hornet is particularly unpleasant to ride in town when cold - the elevated idle means engine braking is surprisingly lacking. Once it's warmed up, it's not too bad. Needs a bit more clutch slipping to get off the line at the same rate. And the gearing / torque is a bit in between: it's either suffer the high engine noise of 2nd at 30mph, or the low torque at 20mph in 3rd, or always be changing gears.

The Honda is a bit better built. I trust its suspension more, and my Hornet has an aluminium frame, whereas the ER6 is steel and will corrode more readily.

There's not a lot between them in flickability. I think the Honda is better balanced but the ER6 feels lighter, more like a big bicycle.

If my whole commute was 20/30mph, I'd prefer the ER6. About half my commute is a long straight industrial road beside a railway where I can make good time, though, so I marginally prefer the Hornet. I far prefer my commute in in the morning to my ride home though, until the engine warms up.

PS: I should add that I believe the ER6 has better mileage than the Hornet, about 10% more if fuelly numbers are to be believed. Dependent on how you ride, of course.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an er6 for a few years as a commuter. I liked it. It's fairly pokey low down and in the mid range but it doesn't have much in the top end. I like twins, so it worked for me and I preferred it to a few circa 600cc IL4s for commuting and normal riding. It's perfectly capable of riding quickly in the twisties too but a bit more punch would have been nice on some pleasure rides. The suspension wasn't great. It was adequate, but showed its flaws when riding at higher speeds on bumpy back roads or carrying a passenger. With well set up aftermarket suspension it can be a capable machine. It is pretty flickable and easy to steer. it was comfortable for me at 5'8, 31" inseam. .

As a pillion bike I don't rate it at all. I hated having a pillion tbh. Because its quite short having a pillion makes the front end go too light and the bike starts to wander at slow speeds and is easily unsettled at higher speeds. It'll do it, but I didn't find it enjoyable. My CX500 and vfr800 are 10x better with a passenger. It's a good bike if you accept its limitations (which are the same as many others in its class). It got mid 50s mpg with very mixed riding.

I can't comment on the Honda having never ridden one.

The VFR800 is a better bike all round (except fuel economy) and almost as easy to ride but I don't want to start suggesting things not on your list.

Last edited by kgm on 19:30 - 11 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:13 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine raced an ER6 for a few seasons and rates them pretty highly as a motorbike.

If you were comparing a CBR600 and an ER6, I'd go with the honda just nudging it. Too close to call between a Hornet and an ER6 in my oppinion. Both are capable, well built midrange commuter bikes. Not that I've ridden them but I have talked to plenty of people who have.

Sit on both. See which fits you best. Or buy based on condition. Or, frankly, which colour you fancy.

Neither will make you sad and at that end of the market, if you really hate it, you aren't going to make a huge loss if you sell it on.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1