Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Need advice for an odd CBR 125 sprocket issue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Alpha9five
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 21 Sep 2019    Post subject: Need advice for an odd CBR 125 sprocket issue Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Just had an odd bike arrive today. Its a 2005 CBR 125 with a CBF 125 fuel injected engine. Sounds great for a 125 right? Engine is fitted correctly, bike runs (we aren't used to getting them arrive to us running) , nice new Michelin pilot tyres with loads of life left. But, there is always a but and its one I've not had much experience with before so hoping someone here can help or someone had the same conversion.
The front sprocket doesn't line up with the rear, I mean not at all. Previous owner has done a bit of a bodge by putting the front sprocket on, then a nut as a spacer, then bolted the second sprocket to the first one. I'm not sure what to do here, its riding like that and the second sprocket in front its just about on the splines, but its not exactly something I'd feel comfortable leaving there as this is for my girlfriends brothers first bike. I'm just wondering if there is a rear hub anyone knows of that will fit that has the rear sprocket in a bit more to line up with the front. I will take some pictures tomorrow as I may sound like I'm babbling a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 21 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm struggling to picture it. Compose your thoughts, lay it out a bit at a time, in paragraphs. Preferrably with photos. Hit preview, read it through to check it makes sense.

I'd suggest photos of the front sprocket area, the rear sprocket area and the rear wheel/swingarm from the side and directly behind.

From what I can garner from your post, I assume it possibly has the wrong rear wheel in. Or the rear wheel has been fitted incorrectly. Or it has a swingarm off another bike fitted so they can fit a wider tyre (common among kiddies who seem to think a wider tyre will somehow make their bike better when all it does is ruin the handling).

So the rear sprocket is too near the swingarm? They have the chain on the front sprocket furthest away from the engine?

Definitely want to get it sorted before giving it to someone you care about as a first bike in any case.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 21 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thats not going to work.

Replace the CBF with a CBR engine, they are cheap as.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha9five
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 21 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Yeah, I'm struggling to picture it. Compose your thoughts, lay it out a bit at a time, in paragraphs. Preferrably with photos. Hit preview, read it through to check it makes sense.

I'd suggest photos of the front sprocket area, the rear sprocket area and the rear wheel/swingarm from the side and directly behind.

From what I can garner from your post, I assume it possibly has the wrong rear wheel in. Or the rear wheel has been fitted incorrectly. Or it has a swingarm off another bike fitted so they can fit a wider tyre (common among kiddies who seem to think a wider tyre will somehow make their bike better when all it does is ruin the handling).

So the rear sprocket is too near the swingarm? They have the chain on the front sprocket furthest away from the engine?

Definitely want to get it sorted before giving it to someone you care about as a first bike in any case.


Basically its the engine that has put it out of line. Its a stock CBR 125 but with a CBF 125 engine. Previous owner tried to rectify the out of line issue by using another front sprocket as a sort of spacer. Stock rear wheel, stock rear hub and sprocket, engine sprocket doesn't line up with one on the wheel. Definitely will put pictures up tomorrow as its a difficult one to imagine until you see it. I've seen some odd stuff on bikes before but this one is new to me. There was also some PVC pipe with a green and yellow washing up sponge that was used as a air filter, so you get the idea. One of those bikes done by a no panic bodge mechanic
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jun 2018
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 21 Sep 2019    Post subject: Re: Need advice for an odd CBR 125 sprocket issue Reply with quote

Alpha9five wrote:
... Previous owner has done a bit of a bodge by putting the front sprocket on, then a nut as a spacer, then bolted the second sprocket to the first one

It sounds as though the solution is to fit an original engine which will be £afewhundredforanunknownquantity, or re-do the "spacer" idea but better (unless there's scope for moving the rear sprocket towards the centre-line, but then the chain might run close to the tyre).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:49 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

200-300 pounds. It'll be faster and will just work. What's been done there won't.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha9five
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:18 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here are the pictures as promised. The front sprocket is spaced outwards using the old mounted sprocket. The rear hub sticks out. The problem can be solved if I can get a rear hub that fits that is further in. It was riding like this but I don't really like the idea at all of 2 front sprockets or having it spaced out like this

https://i.ibb.co/QrtPmYF/IMG-20190922-110912.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/cgjkq50/IMG-20190922-110859.jpg
photo hosting
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha9five wrote:
So here are the pictures as promised. The front sprocket is spaced outwards using the old mounted sprocket. The rear hub sticks out. The problem can be solved if I can get a rear hub that fits that is further in. It was riding like this but I don't really like the idea at all of 2 front sprockets or having it spaced out like this

https://i.ibb.co/QrtPmYF/IMG-20190922-110912.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/cgjkq50/IMG-20190922-110859.jpg
photo hosting


Ffs just replace the engine with the correct one...
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha9five
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:59 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Alpha9five wrote:
So here are the pictures as promised. The front sprocket is spaced outwards using the old mounted sprocket. The rear hub sticks out. The problem can be solved if I can get a rear hub that fits that is further in. It was riding like this but I don't really like the idea at all of 2 front sprockets or having it spaced out like this

https://i.ibb.co/QrtPmYF/IMG-20190922-110912.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/cgjkq50/IMG-20190922-110859.jpg
photo hosting


Ffs just replace the engine with the correct one...


Of course I could do that but I'd rather find a work around. Its like if I get a bike that needs different forks or the wheels have been changed or brakes want to be upgraded. I don't just go out and get original parts and pay out my arse for them, I make brackets or find a workaround. Myself and my missus have a business doing this sort of thing and it's our only income. It works great. Instead of buying a motor I'd rather find an alternative route. Like either making a new spacer with extended spline and new mounts for sprocket and welding it on or finding a rear hub that further away from the edge of the swingarm that fits on. We have the equipment here and aren't afraid of new things. It's a workshop section, I of course know a new engine is an option. But surely between a great community like this one we can rattle our brains together and find something. I shall be trying to help others do the same as soon as my girlfriend is finished with the laptop and I'm not typing on a tiny screen. Wink


Last edited by Alpha9five on 00:31 - 24 Sep 2019; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:01 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is still a bad idea and you should not continue down that route.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha9five
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
It is still a bad idea and you should not continue down that route.


So what would your opinion be on an offset front sprocket? Something a bit more common in the chopper and swing arm conversion world.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jun 2018
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha9five wrote:
So here are the pictures as promised. The front sprocket is spaced outwards using the old mounted sprocket. The rear hub sticks out. The problem can be solved if I can get a rear hub that fits that is further in. It was riding like this but I don't really like the idea at all of 2 front sprockets or having it spaced out like this

https://i.ibb.co/QrtPmYF/IMG-20190922-110912.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/cgjkq50/IMG-20190922-110859.jpg
photo hosting

If you align the chain by moving the rear sprocket, then other things mightn't line up.

If you do something to make a better job of the front sprocket, it'll work as the bodge seems to've been working, but it's not a very elegant solution. The load will be offset along the axis of the shaft, which will strain the attachment of the "sprocket", and the sprocket might not be quite true radially or axially.

How many miles has it done like that, I wonder?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha9five
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Alpha9five wrote:
So here are the pictures as promised. The front sprocket is spaced outwards using the old mounted sprocket. The rear hub sticks out. The problem can be solved if I can get a rear hub that fits that is further in. It was riding like this but I don't really like the idea at all of 2 front sprockets or having it spaced out like this

https://i.ibb.co/QrtPmYF/IMG-20190922-110912.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/cgjkq50/IMG-20190922-110859.jpg
photo hosting

If you align the chain by moving the rear sprocket, then other things mightn't line up.

If you do something to make a better job of the front sprocket, it'll work as the bodge seems to've been working, but it's not a very elegant solution. The load will be offset along the axis of the shaft, which will strain the attachment of the "sprocket", and the sprocket might not be quite true radially or axially.

How many miles has it done like that, I wonder?


I get what you are saying. I'd like to have something on the front that is a bit more sturdy and not just slapped on. As for miles I am not sure but I know it was riding for awhile like this. Wasn't running with the sprocket cover though as it doesn't fit. Not too worried about that as if I can get a fix for this sorted I will make another on my 3D printer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha9five wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
It is still a bad idea and you should not continue down that route.


So what would your opinion be on an offset front sprocket? Something a bit more common in the chopper and swing arm conversion world.


Money is spent on those conversions. Significant money. This is a bolt together bodge and trying to fix after. I don't understand why you refuse to use an original engine. It's more powerful (lol) and will work instantly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:39 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read. The more I cry. 3D print a custom sprocket cover because the current one is bodged beyond oblivion.

I bow out to this, you'll spend more trying to make this work that simply adding the correct engine, this bike is bodged to hell and that's coming from me..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jun 2018
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:39 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha9five wrote:
I get what you are saying.

It's possible, but I'm not saying it's a good idea, mind you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:40 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't think of a good, structurally sound way of making that work AND keeping the sprocket on properly.

Currently it looks like all that's holding the sprocket on are those two M6 bolts acting in shear. I wouldn't be happy with that. However it's normally held on with a thrust washer and the shaft isn't long enough to have one outside an extended sprocket.

The only way I could think of doing it "properly" would be to turn down the teeth off two sprockets to make splined spacers and weld them (securely and well) to a third sprocket. This would give you a sprocket with a deep, splined spacer attached on the inside. This kind of thing is a reasonably common standaerd setup, albeit made in one piece. (I'd probably use screws in the threaded holes as "belt and braces" in case the torque on the weld didn't play well).

Having made that, you then need to hold it on, so you'd need to really accurately drill and tap the centre of the output shaft (no mean feat) and have a custom shoulder bolt turned up to hold the sprocket on with.

So as above. Put the right engine in. You'll probably sell the current motor for what the other would cost.

OR

Chalk it up to experience. You bought a lemon. Part it out on ebay, buy a complete motorbike.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Mar 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:46 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a jobs worth doing it's worth doing well...

The front sprocket would be something way, way down on my list of things to bodge given the stress it has to handle Sad

Engine or rear wheel swap: you know it makes sense Smile
____________________
Royal Enfield Continental GT 535, Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, Yamaha XSR700, Honda Rebel, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki SV650 (loan) Fazer 600, Keeway Superlight 125, 50cc turd scooter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The only way I could think of doing it "properly" would be to turn down the teeth off two sprockets to make splined spacers and weld them (securely and well) to a third sprocket.


And the best solution is welding sprockets to each other.

Do you remember when we used to take the piss out of people who did things like that?
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how solid the sprocket carrier is? Looks as if it might be possible to turn it down a bit? Not sure if it would be by enough though. Also not sure if it would leave enough "meat" for the studs to get into.

https://www.totalparts.nl/picture/boonstra/000000189672-1.jpg
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:


And the best solution is welding sprockets to each other.

Do you remember when we used to take the piss out of people who did things like that?


Err. That was a sprocket attached to the output shaft with a blob of seagull shit.

It would need to be done properly, by an expert. And would probably take longer than swapping out the engine.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:34 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread is pure lols.

Outrigger is the only way I can think of.
____________________
You ain't a has been if you never was
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jimspeed
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:44 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suppose you can move the engine across a bit ? Sometimes there are spacers in the mounts.
____________________
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steve the grease
Crazy Courier



Joined: 26 Jan 2018
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:07 - 23 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of moving the gearbox sprocket out you could move the rear sprocket in. I can't say how much clearance there is between the tyre and the chain , but you could measure it with a bit of string . Measure against the front inner sprocket front face and inside of the rear sprocket. Does it hit the tyre? if so you are Donald .... however if there is room you could fit another sprocket to the inner face of the rear sprocket. Ok it would be some welding and turning but it would work. Sooner or later that front sprocket 'modification' is going to fail and make a mess of everything ( although an inventive attempt!)
Basically bore most of the middle of a rear sprocket out. Then get it welded concentrically to the inside of the existing sprocket (By the centre not the teeth!) then turn off enough of the old outer sprockets rim ( basically all the teeth and a bit more) to give enough clearance for the chain. Result an offset rear sprocket.
Our local machine shop would probably charge about £50.00


Donald = Donald Ducked, rhymes with ........
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:00 - 23 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELDING SPROCKETS IS THE ONLY SOLUTION.

That reminds me, my winter project needs to be started.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.91 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.88 Kb