Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


98 GSXR600 - missing clutch pushrod

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

ruprechtmonke...
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Sep 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:12 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: 98 GSXR600 - missing clutch pushrod Reply with quote

Hi all, I've recently swapped out the engine on my bike as the old one unfortunately suffered a failure. Everything has gone smoothly however when I started the bike with the replacement engine fitted I noticed an oil leak. On further inspection I can see it's coming from the clutch pushrod seal as there is no rod fitted! Pics attached.

Question is do I just need to replace the rod and if so does it slot in? Or do I need to get the entire rod assembly?

Rod:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSXR-GSX-R-600-750-SRAD-clutch-pushrod-push-rod-1996-2000/123895322705?hash=item1cd8bc9851:g:7wsAAOSw9RtdbmlV

Rod and assembly:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GSXR-750-SRAD-Clutch-Push-Rod-Assembly/273885251435?hash=item3fc4d5476b:g:29kAAOSw2x1c~94I
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Apr 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be an idea to compare what you have with a parts diagram, e.g.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1998-suzuki-gsx-r600-clutch-model-v-w/o/m16028sch248051
____________________
'81 CG125, '97 FZS600 : '99 CBR600F4, '09 KTM RC8
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you not still have the old engine? It'll have a pushrod in it?

I'd poke a bit of bar (a posidrive screwdriver? careful not to damage the seal) in the hole and see how far you need to go through before you hit something. If it's about the length of the rod, you probably just need a rod, if it goes beyond halfway through the engine, you'll need to take the side cover and clutch pressure plate off and have a look to see what is and is not there.

Some clutch push rods also have a ball bearing in them. Worth checking if you're supposed to and if it's still in there (much ado with magnets or pushing it through from the other end).
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are often missing if you buy an engine as they fall out easily.

You need a left hand pushrod. Just buy it and pop it in the hole.

https://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/shop/online-store/suzuki-parts-finder/gsx-r/gsx-r600/v-w-x-y-1997-2000-srad.htm?vehicle_id=60#!gsxr600vyclutch2
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ruprechtmonke...
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Sep 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 22 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Do you not still have the old engine? It'll have a pushrod in it?

I'd poke a bit of bar (a posidrive screwdriver? careful not to damage the seal) in the hole and see how far you need to go through before you hit something. If it's about the length of the rod, you probably just need a rod, if it goes beyond halfway through the engine, you'll need to take the side cover and clutch pressure plate off and have a look to see what is and is not there.

Some clutch push rods also have a ball bearing in them. Worth checking if you're supposed to and if it's still in there (much ado with magnets or pushing it through from the other end).


Unfortunately I don't have the old engine still. I've carefully put a Phillips screwdriver through the seal and it only goes in a small way. I'll get hold of a replacement rod and I think that should do it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

steve the grease
Crazy Courier



Joined: 26 Jan 2018
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:13 - 23 Sep 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruprechtmonkeyboy wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
Do you not still have the old engine? It'll have a pushrod in it?

I'd poke a bit of bar (a posidrive screwdriver? careful not to damage the seal) in the hole and see how far you need to go through before you hit something. If it's about the length of the rod, you probably just need a rod, if it goes beyond halfway through the engine, you'll need to take the side cover and clutch pressure plate off and have a look to see what is and is not there.

Some clutch push rods also have a ball bearing in them. Worth checking if you're supposed to and if it's still in there (much ado with magnets or pushing it through from the other end).


Unfortunately I don't have the old engine still. I've carefully put a Phillips screwdriver through the seal and it only goes in a small way. I'll get hold of a replacement rod and I think that should do it.


I'll give you a tip....... NEVER get rid of the old engine until it's all up and running. Although I guess you know that by now. We all live and learn
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.95 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 50.98 Kb