Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Identify Engine "Parts"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

R4nger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:04 - 28 Mar 2005    Post subject: Identify Engine "Parts" Reply with quote

I need help identifying some peices of metal and where they could of come from, pictures attatched. Thanks in advance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:09 - 28 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap

Shocked


gearbox and varoius bearings, and l can see parts of thrush washers
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 28 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a smorgesborg; I think there's a bit of everything in there Smile
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:42 - 28 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

JEEBUS Shocked Shocked Shocked ! That looks like the bottom of a lathe.

What happened? It certainly looks terminal.
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DukeRed
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 28 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that in your bike??? Or did you put that stuff in there for some reason?
____________________
Enjoy Life There's Plenty of Time to be Dead
https://www.janoner.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 28 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When people use the phrase 'bucket of bolts' You never ever ever believe you will see something that would fit that description. Its like saying 'that man is a thousand years old' and then meeting him and finding out he was born in 1005.

Shocked

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

...

...


Shocked

Speechless.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:21 - 28 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I think I need a Surprised to complete the look. Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:21 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have seen bits of metal like that before in my bike.

I am hoping that is a photo of the inside of the front sprocket cover for the final drive chain, in which case your chain is falling to bits.

They look like broken bits of bushing from a bike chain clarted on the inside of the sprocket cover with loads of lube fling to me.

The bushing is the metal 'collar' that sits over the pins that hold your chain links together to make it roll over the sprockets in a friction-free maner (when oiled). I had a chain do that once, I have no idea why.

I hope I am right, then you just need to buy a new chain.

https://www.didchain.com/daihard.jpg
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bish777
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:46 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its INSIDE the crankcases it loks like the gearbox has committed suicide!
____________________
GSXR1100J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:36 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the bike rideable before you noticed this. And how "smooth" did it ride (if it did ride)

<|Ben|>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

R4nger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the sump cover of my old GS500 engine. After 50-100 miles after buying it Rolling Eyes I was on the M25 and it justed to judder and get progressively worse like fuel starvation. In the end I had to pull over since I was getting no trottle response. Then it would not do anything after (e.g. start). Only had about 1 foot of hard shoulder because I was on a major slip road.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear.

May I add Shocked

I would take a look under the side covers to see if the clutch or alternator are falling to bits but I suspect with that degree of detritus in the sump, the job is knackered. You would really want to be splitting the engine because chances are, that junk is all over the place. Given it is a GS500, it would be cheaper (and easier) to just get an engine from a breakers.

If you are handy with a spanner and don't need to use the bike for a bit it might be an interesting exercise to tear it down yourself and have a look-see. It wont cost you anything more than time to take the thing apart, bear in mind that it may cost more than the engine is worth to buy the bits to fix it so don't get caught out like I have (I once ran up a bill for over £200 of parts when a replacement engine was only £250, add in four days working on the bike and I made the wrong choice). Treat it as an oppertunity to learn more about the inside of your engine.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.7 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 76 Kb