Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Knocking Wing Mirrors

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Craggles
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:44 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Knocking Wing Mirrors Reply with quote

Hi,

I've read a little on here about accidentally knocking mirrors off/back (and sometimes delibratley) whilst filtering.

Well.. it happened to me today. I was coming out of Southampton during rush hour, and was squeezing through a rather tight gap - something must have worried me (I think the line of traffic to my right started moving slightly) and I wobbled and knocked the person to my right's wing mirror forward.

I couldn't do anything but ride on - else I would have got squashed by traffic coming from behind... or viciously attacked by the person in the car who starts swearing and honking his horn! Hopefully its just knocked out of place and not broken - I know they can be expensive!

I'd like to know what other people would have done in this situation - bearing in mind its happened in the middle/outside lane of a 3 lane dual carridgeway, during rush hour with no hold ups aside from that caused by shear traffic volume (and some roadworks).

I feel really bad for riding off - I think technically its leaving the scene of an accident... but I didn't know what else I could do (especially with blokey in car going crazy on his horn and with the language!)

Craig
____________________
If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tokarev
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:50 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't knocked anyones wing mirrors off...yet. But the way i see it is that if the gap is not big enough for me to comfortably ride through(i.e. without going 0.5mph, looking eachside to see if im gonna connect) then i don't bother going for it. The guy in the car could be a nutter for all you know...not worth it.

Anyway at least you got away. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:57 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be ok, car wing mirrors are designed to flap back when pushed that way. You just snap them back into place. No harm, no foul.

If your speed in relation to him was fast enough to break the mirror, you were going too damned fast to be filtering that close and I am amazed you stayed on the bike.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:11 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've knocked wing mirrors before, but only once, but I did 2, one on each side.

(If I do something I do it properly)

They were van ones and they're at funny levels, so you judge the gap, and the gap was fine, but I didn't take into account their mirrors were the same height as mine.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:20 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mean to put you down but i think if theres a chance you might not fit through a gap you shouldnt be attempting it. No doubt you would be hugely pissed off if a car tried to squeeze past you and scratched your bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

culpan
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:05 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option would of been to stop and say sorry but like you say you had to continue because of traffic behind so there is not much you can do, end of the day if was an accident its just one of them things really, just dont get mad if it happens to you then it might balance out in the grand scheme of things Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Craggles
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:50 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If your speed in relation to him was fast enough to break the mirror, you were going too damned fast to be filtering that close and I am amazed you stayed on the bike.


I'd just moved off from a standstill behind him - I had pulled in at that point because I was concerned of the gap, and was taking it very easy pas him.

I think I was put off by traffic movement - but agree I should have waited for the gap to increase before I attempted to pass.

Quote:
The guy in the car could be a nutter for all you know...not worth it.


That was my thinking whilst making a rapid exit (far too fast) away from him!

Craig
____________________
If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

headlamp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most of my 20 miles on the bike to work & back home again on a daily basis involves filtering I am usually knocking wing mirrors at least once a week. I usually reserve it for cars that have either strayed over the white line in the road or drivers yacking away on their mobile (it's usually people talking on their phones that have strayed in their lanes).

I have only ever had one incident where I have knocked off someones wing mirror deliberately. A chav in a BMW purposefully blocked my filtering lane - used his car as a weapon - weaving to try and knock me off. I saw an opportunity to get past and as I did used my hand & gave his onside mirror an almighty whack & left it dangling - speeding off between two lanes of traffic, leaving him mirrorless and stranded. That was a couple of years ago and I'm much better behaved now ! Laughing
____________________
Using a mobile phone while driving a car should be made a capital offence!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:09 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

To cover your ass you should report it to the local plod coz if the driver got your number you could be prosecuted for failing to report an RTA...... The mirrors on my car are in excess of £150 a side to replace, if you'd taken one of those off i'd be mighty pissed with ya. Mad
As Tokarev & DaFrostyOne said, if you can't fit don't do it.

Just cover your back and tell the fuzz, tell them that it was unsafe to stop because of the situation on the road and the drivers obvious aggression.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DukeRed
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to but still happens alot.
Tend to pretend it never happened and keep going maybe switching lanes if your paranoid about them getting your plate.
You see quite alot of cars round here without right wing mirrors so I guess it's quite common.
____________________
Enjoy Life There's Plenty of Time to be Dead
https://www.janoner.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:10 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive knocked one once but unfortunately at that low speed in the tight gap I couldnt stop to say sorry or let go of the bar to wave a sorry to him. Just had to ride on.

Confused
____________________
Yamaha SZR660 Caution to the wind, the throttle pinned!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:26 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Re: Knocking Wing Mirrors Reply with quote

Craggles wrote:
Well.. it happened to me today. I was coming out of Southampton during rush hour, and was squeezing through a rather tight gap - something must have worried me (I think the line of traffic to my right started moving slightly) and I wobbled and knocked the person to my right's wing mirror forward.


Sh1t happens! Don't worry about it. Thumbs Up
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing mirrors are designed to move, so causing some cager a minor inconvenience is a fair play if they drive like an inconsiderate cock.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.89 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 79.67 Kb