Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Mileage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Mileage Reply with quote

What sort of mileage on an ER-5, CB500 or a GS500 would make you go Thinking 'Bit close to the mark'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something over 60,000 i'd say is time when things start to fall off.

Could be wrong
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil



Joined: 02 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how well they are looked after. i know the honda CB5 engine is capable of well over 100,000miles if serviced when it should be. The rest of the bike should last as well as the engine if well looked after.
HTH
J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised at that, and pleased too. Looks like you can get a decent CB500 for £2500ish then. First lesson on Saturday Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:43 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah nice man, good luck with it all.

PM me if you need anything Thumbs Up
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:57 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Jay, if the bike has been well looked after and serviced there should be no major problems.
What sort of mileage were you thinking of ?
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:29 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold_Shand wrote:
Surprised at that, and pleased too. Looks like you can get a decent CB500 for £2500ish then. First lesson on Saturday Very Happy


£2500 is a lot of money for a 500 twin.

I would be expecting under 10,000 miles for that much I reckon.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn right, I got a virtually new ex-demonstrator with only 300 miles on the clock for £3300.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:21 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Again, too much money. Think the last of the GPZ500s were being punted out at about £3300.

For £2500 you should get something virtually new, and certainly not be worried about mileage.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:18 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I want something next to new with full service history that will be easy to sell if and when I fancy a sports bike. I have sort of budgeted 2 and a half top weight but I've still got a lot of looking around to do. If I can get a higher mileage one that will remain reliable that guts won't drop out of for a grand then I'll have one of them. Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are capable of quite high mileages, but you'd have trouble reselling anything with a few miles on. If its a bike to keep for a year or so then sell on without too much loss I'd be looking at less than 25k on the clock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Major_Grooves
The Doctor



Joined: 10 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:18 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my CB500 with 27K on the clocks for £1350 a couple of nearly 2 years ago. I think I paid over the odds for it, but got carried away on Ebay. Smile

It's probably not even worth £1000 now, so I might just keep it as a winter hack no matter what bike I get next.
____________________
About me|@Major_Grooves|My company|Digg|Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 500's all differ really, the ER-5/GPZ500S snaps it camchain at around 55k and the GS500 will require attention probably over 60,000 and I am unsure about the CB as they last from 60-90,000 miles so I have heard dependant on the servicing they recieve.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in all, honda cb5 would be better all round I think, but being a student myself, I settled on an er5 (was wanting a gs too) just because of the cost of spare parts - far cheaper than the honda. Same for the suzuki too.

Someone on one forum has an er5 over the 120k mark and has put all his expenses on a spreadsheet. I can probably point you in the direction of a copy if you want to get a rough idea of what it may cost you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate of mine (forum member) paid £610 for an ER-5, but I think that had ~54k on it.

For a first bike mileage is pretty much irrelevant, mine's got 72k on it. All depends what you want it for and how long you plan on keeping it.

I plan to keep my bike until my restrictions up, and I'm doing my darndest to blow it up before that time.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.05 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 89.77 Kb