Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


cleaning leathers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

phill.c
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: cleaning leathers Reply with quote

well my leathers need a clean now and i was wondering what people use to clean theres and can recommend any good products or just good tips.
cheers for any help
phill
____________________
CBR400RR the funs started - Honda MTX 125 ongoing project when i can be arsed Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy



Joined: 21 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:22 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use washing up liquid... probably shouldnt though Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to do mines tonight, still got muck and some gravel to pick out. I was going to use a cloth and some warm-ish water.

Is Dubbin (spelling??) bad for leathers?
____________________
Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a good overhall (once a year) take down to dry cleaners.

Scuffs and light stuff use shoe polish.
For general cleaning wipe with damp cloth. I also have an old bottle of Nikwax stuff.
Don't rub into stitching, as told could weaken them.

HTH Smile
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

cc123 wrote:
...Is Dubbin (spelling??) bad for leathers?

Dubbin is ok for leather. It's a very good waterproofing.
However, two points
Arrow before using make sure leather is clean (it's not a cleaner)
Arrow don't use too much and rub in otherwise left with a sticky finish that attracts muck.

HTH Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:44 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikwax is the best for cleaning, the liquid nikwax is far easier to use than the Dubbing and lasts longer.

It cleans and waterproofs the leather whilst keeping it nice a supple. The best place to look for it is in hiking shops (near the boots Wink )
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

0ni
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just jump in the shower with your gear on. Head and Shoulders is handy for birdshit and Herbal Essences works wonders with visors Thumbs Up
____________________
Its a lovely day, just wait until some bastard spoils it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

zephyrgirl
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 21 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this stuff https://www.renapur.com/ from the Portsmouth & Southsea show last year.
(not a bike show)

I was offered a free boot clean by a woman on the stand, but the lazy bint wouldn't do my leathers when I pulled them out of my rucksack!

Anyways, I purchased said product after being taken in by the sales blurb (also had a big poster on the stand saying MCN 10/10), and it's one of the best pieces of bike kit that I've ever bought!

The cleaner is easy to use and the treatment stuff goes a loooong way! They also claim that even if you leave the top off the tub for 5 years the balsam is still effective!

Personally I wouldn't use any sort of detergent (washing up liquid, shampoo etc) as these, although are effective cleansers, are also degreasers. They strip your leathers of protective oils (leather was skin once - and hands that do dishes don't feel as soft as you face, they are usually dry and crying out for moisturiser in my case), compromising their waterproofing qualities and suppleness. Dried out leather will crack & weaken.

Just my opinions chaps.
____________________
Fly away on my Zephyr?
I bloody wish.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Major_Grooves
The Doctor



Joined: 10 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:14 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

zephyrgirl wrote:
I bought this stuff https://www.renapur.com/ from the Portsmouth & Southsea show last year.
(not a bike show)

I was offered a free boot clean by a woman on the stand, but the lazy bint wouldn't do my leathers when I pulled them out of my rucksack!

.


Those women are a bit scary. They kind of cackle at you as you walk past. You are okay if you avoid their steely eyes, but if you look at them you will walk towards them, unable to escape till they have cleaned one of your boots. Shocked
____________________
About me|@Major_Grooves|My company|Digg|Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

madbikerbabe
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 16 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:55 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking Hmmmmmm..mines are just starting to get that battered worn look..clean them..nope !!..not yet Laughing
____________________
"yep !!!..there is a party going on in my head...invitations only"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hustler
Crazy Courier



Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:23 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

zephyrgirl wrote:

I was offered a free boot clean by a woman on the stand, but the lazy bint wouldn't do my leathers when I pulled them out of my rucksack!


I go every year JUST to get my boots cleaned for me Thumbs Up

I just use warm water and a cloth on fresh kills myself.
____________________
As I said to that guy with the crutches and full camouflage gear, you can hide but you can't run.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:14 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
Nikwax is the best for cleaning, the liquid nikwax is far easier to use than the Dubbing and lasts longer.

It cleans and waterproofs the leather whilst keeping it nice a supple. The best place to look for it is in hiking shops (near the boots Wink )


I've found Nikwax to be a complete waste of time. It doesn't make them waterproof and just smears about all over the place. I find Dubbin far more fun to use, and actually waterproof, as it fills in the seams and needle holes. I might just have had some duff waterproofer, but it did next to nothing against water, just dissolved and let the water soak in.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:37 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
I've found Nikwax to be a complete waste of time.



Shocked
By 'eck, sure you're using liquid nikwax and you shook the bottle first? Wink
I've never had those problems. I have always used it, and have only ever gotten wet through my stretchy panels on my leathers... Confused
Besides, Dubbin doesn't smell as nice Wink


The only problem with the renapur ladies is they only ever clean one boot. Evil or Very Mad
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I go every year JUST to get my boots cleaned for me


I got mines done at the Bike show about 3 weeks back, wasn't all that impressed with it TBH.

zephyrgirl, you said pretty much the exact same as the girl that done my free trial with this stuff, you a sales person for them by chance!!? Laughing
____________________
Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: dubbin bad, wax good Reply with quote

map wrote:

Dubbin is ok for leather. It's a very good waterproofing.


do NOT use dubbin... was fine for old hikinh boots in the 60's and 70's but dubbin doesn't breathe (leather is a skin, it breathes) and it WILL over time, rot the leather, that's if the stitchuing doesn't rot first.

use Nikwax or simial products. give it a clean wit a damp cloth first, let it dry then rub in the nikwax using your fingers, the heat from your hand will help the leather to absorb the wax, and will waterproof it, making the leather more supple in the process.

I used to work for a specialist outdoor clothing company, and while the above was aimed mainly at boots (don't get many leather jackets when you're hill walking, or rock climbing) it holds true for bike leathers too. I've got a pair of JTS bibs, that are almost waterproof in all but the heaviest or most prolonged rain.

a
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

zephyrgirl
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 21 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
zephyrgirl, you said pretty much the exact same as the girl that done my free trial with this stuff, you a sales person for them by chance!!?



Nah, I wish - I'd get it for free then!

Seriously though, I think it's a good product and I recommend it because it works, is value for money (my kit cost £15 last year) and I like looking after my leathers.
My Uncle also uses it on his horse driving harness & tack and gets good results 'cos he is the Royal Welsh Show Supreme Driving Champion for the last two years. Very Happy

So there you have it, it must be good if it makes you a supreme champion! Wink
____________________
Fly away on my Zephyr?
I bloody wish.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:52 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive I know your uncle then I competed in the royal welsh untill last year :d
____________________
Good girls ride motorcycles bad girls thrash them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zephyrgirl
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 21 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byron Jones with Cefn Gelli Bouncer or 'Red' as he is known to his friends. Smile

2003 result:

Quote:
Class 309 Welsh Driving, Champion - Welsh Driving Held (23-Jul-2003)
Place Exhibitor Animal Name Catalogue
1 Pam & Byron Jones CEFN GELLI BOUNCER 2771
2 G J Mitchell & G Marlow; MITCHEL-TROY BLACK KING 2749


2004 result:

Quote:
Class 316 Welsh Driving, Champion - Welsh Driving Held (20-Jul-2004)
Place Exhibitor Animal Name Catalogue
1 Pam & Byron Jones CEFNGELLI BOUNCER 2809
2 Mr & Mrs D Wood CROSSFIELD GLORY 2799

____________________
Fly away on my Zephyr?
I bloody wish.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatd be a yes then :d

I belive he lent me some thread 2 years ago:D
____________________
Good girls ride motorcycles bad girls thrash them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zephyrgirl
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 21 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:17 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small world eh?
What were you doing at the show? Driving?
pm me if you like, the thread is going off topic!

Sorry for hijacking the thread everyone! Embarassed
____________________
Fly away on my Zephyr?
I bloody wish.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikwax actually do wax? Confused Thinking You'd think so, but I didn't see any in HG when I was last there, though I wasn't looking particularly hard. Wax'd be better I think perhaps.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:21 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?wce=19201301&wci=product

Says its for leather, but then its says its for shoes Thinking

The nikwax stuff isn't designed to waterproof it, you have to buy that spray seperately. However, the nikwax washing stuff works wonders on my textile jacket. Just haven't got round to buying the waterproofing stuff yet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:33 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?wce=19201301&wci=product

Says its for leather, but then its says its for shoes Thinking.


It works well on leather of any sort.. takes a bit of elbow grease to work it in tho, cos it's so heavy... but that's why using your fingers, rather than a cloth helps.. the warmth from your skin softens it, and helps the leather absrob it.

a
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gobbin
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 01 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with zephyrgirl, Renapur is fantastic. So little is needed - a £10 pot's going to last me years! And the smell....gorgeous!

Bought mine online without fuss a few weeks ago. Well recommended.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:46 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renapur gets a Thumbs Up from me too. The woman on the stand at the NEC last year did both my boots Smile
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.34 Kb