Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Coronavirus antibody test study? Anyone else done one?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

What was the outcome of your COVID antibody test?
Negative.
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Positive (to either IgG, IgM or both).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Invalid
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cocked it right up.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:19 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Coronavirus antibody test study? Anyone else done one? Reply with quote

I got a letter inviting me to take part in the government study on COVID19 antibodies (or maybe it was on how people cope with using the test kits.)

Test kit arrived today and was duly performed. It's an antibody ELISA test done with a drop of blood and a test kit not unlike the things women pee on to see if they are pregnant. You put a drtop of blood in one bit, two drops of conjugate from a dropper bottle in a second bit then wait 10 minutes. One line is negative, two or three lines is positive.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103862

Now I use this kind of test all the time at work but I can see people cocking it right up in any number of ways. I actually struggled to get a decent drop of blood after using the stylette. There was loads of blood but it wouldn't form a droplet, just tracked all over my fingertip along the grooves in my fingerprint and made a right mess.

I did eventually mamage to corrall enough blood into the provided pipette to activate the test.

Anyway. Tested negative. I was wondering if anyone else was asked and has done it?

How did you get on with the test?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:39 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one before travelling abroad for work recently. The nurse who did it also struggled to get enough blood into the hole.

Also had a blood test where they tested for something else related to COVID, maybe a different type of antibody test?

All negative but when I got to my destination country I still had to quarantine and then had a proper COVID test with swabs up the nose going far deeper than any civilised person would expect.

Currently in lockdown because some people on the site I am working on tested positive. Can't even leave the room at the moment. Fun times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Coronavirus antibody test study? Anyone else done one? Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I got a letter inviting me to take part in the government study on COVID19 antibodies

Interesting, I didn't know they were doing this. Are they randomly selecting people?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:30 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Coronavirus antibody test study? Anyone else done one? Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
I got a letter inviting me to take part in the government study on COVID19 antibodies

Interesting, I didn't know they were doing this. Are they randomly selecting people?

Apparently. Although i'm currently the only person I've spoken to who's been randomly selected... Maybe it's a conspiracy?

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/197217/home-testing-coronavirus-track-levels-infection/

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my granddaughter also got selected. Came back negative.

I still find all this a bit weird. I've heard of people catching Covid-19 but not really known anyone personally catching it. (Well, one vague relative but no one liked her anyway.)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:14 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total of 303,000 cases in the UK? Out of 66 million population. So 0.45%.

One in 222 people. Do you know 222 people?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know anyone who has done it, I do know 2 people that have had Corona though.

I'd like to do one of these. I don't think I've had it but when I came out of Hospital in February about a week after I had a flu type thing that ticked most of the symptoms and floored me harder than any illness has ever done before, be surprised if it was Corona but would be nice to know.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Total of 303,000 cases in the UK? Out of 66 million population. So 0.45%.

One in 222 people. Do you know 222 people?

Unless you count BCF I doubt I know 22 people Wink

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
No, my granddaughter also got selected. Came back negative.

I still find all this a bit weird. I've heard of people catching Covid-19 but not really known anyone personally catching it. (Well, one vague relative but no one liked her anyway.)

"They" are randomly sampling people from households without NHS employees or other "frontline" connections, to see what the infection rate is generally, as I think sw said.

As to who's having or had it, my mum got it and recovered, as did two friends of my sister's (Harley ppl I think), but they are still banged up in Bedford, in a bad way. A couple of people over the road from me had it too, but recovered (I do not know them personally).

Not that many people have had it, so there's still a large segment of the population who might.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/31july2020#covid-19-infection-survey-data (section 7 has link to data).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedford got it pretty bad though did it not?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Bedford got it pretty bad though did it not?

I don't know. Hospitals take cases from various places. I don't know where those two people come from, but I'd guess it probably is somewhere around Bedford.

Note, the whole pandemic started from only one or two cases. There is plenty of scope for it to affect nore people, especially since we seem to be getting around 750 new cases daily in the UK.

Somewhere there will be a map of "cases". There are various about "deaths", but I haven't bumped into a "cases" map.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:17 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Note, the whole pandemic started from only one or two cases.

Did it though?

One of the suggestions for why we got hit so hard in the UK is that there was a very broad "seeding" of cases across the country by people returning from holidays in the Alps.

Case hotspots have been very regionalised in other places like Spain and Italy.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 01 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Note, the whole pandemic started from only one or two cases.

Did it though?

One of the suggestions for why we got hit so hard in the UK is that there was a very broad "seeding" of cases across the country by people returning from holidays in the Alps

WHERE did it START? By the time it had spread to Europe, basically it was already a pandemic.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

WHERE did it START? By the time it had spread to Europe, basically it was already a pandemic.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18204228.york-uk-coronavirus-cases-fell-ill-remains-safe-council-says

The 1st confirmed case in the UK, was in York & was a Chinese student who had been visited by family 1st Feb.

Although there are many reports that people had it much earlier, just they were never tested so no one will ever know..

Junior doc
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:25 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not that convinced about the COVID tests currently in use in UK they seem to have pretty low sensitivity and unknown specificity.

Local hospital near me estimated that sensitivity for the antigen test was around 70% which means it was missing 3 in 10 people infected.

We know even less about the antibody test in terms of sensitivity and specificity but I know of several work colleagues who have had absolutely confirmed COVID based on symptoms, antigen test and in one case even a previous positive antibody test. When they tested everybody where I work even those with previously confirmed COVID were getting negative results including the person with a previously positive antibody test.

Nobody knows the implications of this. Does it mean that you lose immunity over time and so in theory can become reinfected? There are certainly a few case studies that would suggest this is possible but certainly nothing in terms of evidence that is overwhelming. Alternatively it may just be that in a similar way to other viruses such as hepatitis B the markers of immunity are down regulated very quickly after active infection to the point that the tests we use aren’t sensitive enough to pick them up. Reassuringly though the person is still immune though as they very quickly up regulate production of antibodies if they are exposed to the virus again.

Working in the NHS I have seen dozens of people infected with COVID. I have admitted young people in their 40s to hospital who have spent weeks in ITU. For a month or so during the worst part of the last spike we saw a significant surge in the mortality rate in our local community mostly the old and vulnerable in care homes but also a handful of unexpected deaths in patients in the 30-50 range. Some of those will have been COVID some will have been stroke, heart attacks, PE and not wanting to seek help due to worry about COVID. What I learnt in the early stages of the pandemic was that young people with COVID can look really well with only subtle signs of infection because their bodies are good at compensating. Once they reach the tipping point they can get sick very quickly over the space of an hour or two from walking around their house with slight shortness of breath to intubated in ITU.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18204228.york-uk-coronavirus-cases-fell-ill-remains-safe-council-says

The 1st confirmed case in the UK, was in York & was a Chinese student who had been visited by family 1st Feb.

Although there are many reports that people had it much earlier, just they were never tested so no one will ever know.

No. I mean where did the pandemic start. By the time it had spread to Europe, basically the outbreak was already a pandemic. How many cases led to the pandemic? 1? 2? A handful? The point being that "mighty oaks from little acorns grow", and while the pandemic started from a very few cases, even just in the UK, we still have about 750 new ones every day.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

No. I mean where did the pandemic start. By the time it had spread to Europe, basically the outbreak was already a pandemic. How many cases led to the pandemic? 1? 2? A handful? The point being that "mighty oaks from little acorns grow", and while the pandemic started from a very few cases, even just in the UK, we still have about 750 new ones every day.

Quote:

The World Health Organization declared the outbreak of COVID-19 a pandemic on the 11 March 2020

If you do not know where it started by now... Just WTF have you been?

So that is well over a month after the 1st confirmed UK case.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jehova on an flaming bike, I give up. No-one understands the language, or if they do, they must be pretending to be effing stupid. Perhaps it's the unfamiliar and unknown word "pandemic" that's too complicated. Whatever.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:10 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Jehova on an flaming bike, I give up. No-one understands the language, or if they do, they must be pretending to be effing stupid. Perhaps it's the unfamiliar and unknown word "pandemic" that's too complicated. Whatever.

You could Google pandemic and epidemic to learn the statistical and or geographical differentiation.

Virus first reports from wuhan then it spread.
Like a virus.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Do you understand what a PANDEMIC is?

Stupid is as Stupid asks.... Rolling Eyes

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Stupid is as Stupid asks.... Rolling Eyes

Panmedic is a sick Harley doctor Cool

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:11 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

We Found 701 Clips With "Pandemic"

Wub

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 04 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Panmedic is a sick Harley doctor Cool

Just a copy of what Riejufixing posted.
Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1