Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Frame painting advice reqd.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:41 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Frame painting advice reqd. Reply with quote

Hi all,
Due to this plague carry on, my plans of getting my frame & swingarm blasted (aqua or whatever) then getting them both powdercoated has been delayed indefinitely.

Meanwhile I'm thinking of painting them myself (cos financial reasons)
The surface rust I reckon I can remove with a flap disc on the angle grinder.
BUT paint. What type to use?
Ive done some spray painting before with aerosols & hvlp guns with decent results from both.
But that's mainly been on fairings with primer, paint with hardner finished with clearcoat.
I'm presuming a frame doesn't need that sort of treatment?
What kind of paint is recommended?
Enamel? Hammerite? Although I've heard its not as good as it used to be...
I'm guessing it needs to be hard wearing & dry to a tough finish unlike some aerosols which can dry a bit "sticky".

So, recommendations?

It's a steel frame & swingarm if that makes a difference.
Any advice most welcome.

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never done it!
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=330732

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:59 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend just getting them blasted and powder coated.

Cleaning them with a flap wheel takes ages. A home paint job will not give you the finish or durability of powder coat.

Blasting also does a good job of finding where it has rusted away so you can repair.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:13 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine with skip paint (alkyd resin. Also sold as machine enamel or tractol.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dhxaK9W7sE1aiT6sQgTEqP0P8LhSvydzDq_CFzFMlG1noCKQYsmQDi_eVn9xlnHruyxDns4A96S-OZkgLzyCX1iMXMObiF5svUoSL5eUZ3l0bEIK5Cj-tPlVFA0qXULnbbqXlnSM17D2LJ5rs7yzAZ=w1343-h1007-no

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Hi,
That looks well decent.
Was that done with a gun or brush?

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:21 - 02 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

High pressure gun. Because I may as well use it since I have a compressor. Made a god-awful mess though. If I do similar again, I'm getting a cheap festival tent to do it in.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 03 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammered effect Hammerite brushes on pretty easy and leaves a solid finish. It's the kind of finish that looks good from 5 feet away though and the quality of the finish seems to diminish as you get closer.

I did 40k+ on this painted frame, bike lived outside and was abused and smashed more times than a Bulgarian whore on tour.

I used to have closeups of the frame but don't think they survived my last deleteing session, this is one of the sales photos when I sold it so that's the finish after 40k+ and a few crashes. IIRC I used a poundshop brush and it's 3 coats thick.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50007403123_9197e560cb_b.jpg

If I did it again and had more than £20 as a budget I'd go with Stinkwheels method above.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 07 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was linked elsewhere and I thought worth sharing. I was aware of surface energy and activation but not that detail or the 1 hour limit. Have not seen his other videos yet.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7onZGqrYyY

I am no fan of powder coating, I have seen far too much peeling off, rusty, I do think 2k is better.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1