Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Am I ******* invisible

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:28 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Am I ******* invisible Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad


Is it me, i'm 13.5 stones hardly small head lights on full, Wearing a full
high vis waistcoat.

Every day since i've had the bike (Been a car driver since 17 now 33, fancied learning biking), some idiot has pulled out or not looked.

In the car I don't realy bother with looking at side junctions guessing some idiot would come out.

Tonight some idiot just turned left didn't look, its like I've got to break when I see a junction I don't trust any of them.

Roundabouts. hello I am here. Every day, I am pre guessing idiots.

Is it me or is it really annoying. Don't have this problem in the Mondeo.

Goshh rant over.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Vespa
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:30 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

.

Last edited by Vespa on 23:58 - 31 Oct 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

White Noise
Mr Dudwee



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:34 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: Am I ******* invisible Reply with quote

mondeokid wrote:
I am pre guessing idiots.


Sorry but you are going to have to get used to this, try and plan for everything an idiot cager could do. Its a pain but kind of makes riding that much better as you are contantly having to be focused and that makes it far more involving
Take Care
WN
____________________
Buy my wife: 96' Yam XJ600s (Diversion)
Wing Commander White Noise - SE Clique
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The#Doctor#
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:34 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to biking !! Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ric
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 22 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:57 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

keeps ur wits about u

the only person that gets u out of trouble is u

thats the way i see it, the smoother i ride the more people pull out i find, the smoother into bends and lower round rounderbouts the more hassle it causes

they dont even hear u

i had a convertable try and pull accross me wen filtering, didnt even look at me when i had pulled the clutch in and hit 12k revs

buses are the worst tho by far
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:59 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint your bike bright yellow. It worked for me Thumbs Up Very Happy
____________________
'Allo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!
'89 TZR 125 - '94 GPZ500s - ZK3 GSXR600 Alstare Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dotti
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:43 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will seem to happen less as you get used to biking. I can't really explain it, but now it very rare for somebody to pull out in front of me (once in the last 6 months or so). After a while I think you are able to automatically calculate the probability of cars pulling out in front of you, and take corrective action long before it becomes a problem.
____________________
Dangerous traffic offences spotted on 50-minute trip: Lost count after 100. Number of traffic cops spotted: One, sitting by a speed-trap camera
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:15 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It partly depends on what bike your ridding too, some dont have as much "presence" on the road...

The best thing you can do is ride in a way that people can see you, i.e. if your passing a junction on the left go out to the right if its safe, this way if somebodys here you will see them or they will see you earlyer.. keeping a good distance and expecting people to do stupid ass things ESPECIALLY taxis, white vans and bus's.

Its all stuff thats taught in advanced rideing, you done hear of bike cops haveing accidents often do you?
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 5 months of riding since passing my test, I can't remember anyone pulling out on me so that I'd have to do some harsh braking. Thinking

Do you ride in london? Glasgow seems perfeclt ywell behaved to me. Or perhaps the er5 has road presence? Feels like it has a lot more than a 125 anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Weed
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:27 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember my CBT instructor saying to me over the intercom:

"Think to yourself, what is the stupidest thing that car driver could do, then expect them to do it, that way your prepared"

That really seems to have stuck with me, and in almost a year of 'pedding it, I've had one crash, after some muppet cager ran me off the road despite me kicking his door, and giving it some on the (pathetic) horn.

Laughing
____________________
"Just Believe"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

zero wrote:
Its all stuff thats taught in advanced rideing, you done hear of bike cops haveing accidents often do you?


Yeah, probably because cagers are scared shitless of anything with flashing lights and bright colours. Would you pull out on a copper?
____________________
Bikes: too many, too much for one man to maintain anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Weed
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pulled a copper, but thats a different matter. The most advanced drivers/riders can still have accidents. Just because you have been to an advanced skills course, doesnt make you invincible, just better at planning ahead and reading the road.
____________________
"Just Believe"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsmith95
Traffic Copper



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:00 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are not invisible, people just don't bother looking, too busy on the mobile or they just don't give a damm.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:28 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: Am I ******* invisible Reply with quote

mondeokid wrote:
I've got to break when I see a junction I don't trust any of them.



Yup, I would say that most bikers are cautious when they are approaching side junctions. I always am - especially if they are slightly difficult to see out of.
It's just a case of learning to ride defensively and making yourself seen.

I usually try to get eye contact with car drivers - especially those turning right, either in front of, or accross me. That way you can be confident that they have seen you Thumbs Up
If you don't manage eye contact, assume they haven't seen you, and act accordingly. I usually look at wheels too, to see if the car is stationary (ie handbrake on) or moving forward slightly (likely to pull out).
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.77 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 82.56 Kb