Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


CG 125 spluttering & dying!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

naxos
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:16 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: CG 125 spluttering & dying! Reply with quote

Several months ago I bought a 1996 Cg125 to be used as a winter hack bike. My Enfield Bullet has tasted far too much salt these 13 years past! Anyhow, the Honda was in my shed for a few months until six weeks ago I took it out for a shortish run....then back home to drain off the old oil.

Yesterday(after charging up the battery) I leapt on the beast,she started up ok, then 200 yards down the road started to splutter.......then die. I cleaned out the fuel tap.....put in a gallon of fresh unleaded......but it still dies on me after a few hundred yards.
Any ideas what I should check next? The engines a CDI model,so no points hassles here. It flew like a bird a few weeks back..........Im stumped? Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put your bike into a mechanic to get the carbs cleaned and the valves balanced because the carbs have probably become clogged up over the winter.

Further note: advised recently by a bike mechanic - never! never! use Redex in your bike because it appears to do the opposite to bike carbs because it was designed for car engines rather than for bikes!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:39 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are saying that it cuts out after 200yds, each time, or once it has cut out, it never restarts? What does the spark plug look like when it dies? I'd strip the carb down myself, and blow the jets through. Probably wouldn't hurt to put an in-line filter in the fuel pipe too.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

naxos
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 03 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: CG125 dying Reply with quote

Tried it out again just now.........kicked it off......ticking like a swiss watch..........warmed her up,then out on the road......200 yards...and then the engine just died. Methinks I shall strip down the carb......best bet I reckon? The fuel tap was FULL of brown crud,so God knows what Im gonna find in the carb. I shall report back in a few days......Honda CG125s......the planets most reliable workhorse??? Dammit!! lol
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the tank a rinse out too, while you're at it.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 16 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:08 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

and clean the gauze filter in the tap which most ppl dont even know is there
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the carbs full of sh*t or one of the jets is blocked. Nice to know of anotther bullet owner on here by the way Thumbs Up
____________________
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:19 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes 4 I know of - Lone Wolf has one too.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BorderHooner
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 29 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:41 - 06 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just rebuilt a 01 reg cg125w, it was stolen recovered, cost me less than half price to buy it, repair it and get it mot'd Very Happy

i had to respray the tank and side panels, the idiot who owned it before me, who gave up, had rubbed the tank down and all the bits were in the tank - i flushed the tank out, took about 2 washing up bowls full of hot water and soap to flush it.

I found a sock in the petrol tank, the lad probably used it to cover the petrol filler and it must have fallen in. no wonder it wouldnt run right.

new plug - the right one this time, cleaned out the carb and my uncle used a magic gadget plugged into the park plug hole, it was showing the collour of the burn and he set the fueling.

The bike gets to 0-60 in a jiffy for a little bike, not as fast as nsr issuspose but much better than a SR125.

hope you get it fixed.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.71 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 59.91 Kb