Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tyre sizes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

kgm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Tyre sizes Reply with quote

So I've acquired that old bandit I mentioned in another thread from my mate and I'm looking for tyres for it.

Suzuki spec 110/70 R17 for the front but the closest size in the tyre I'd like is 120/70 R17.

Is this likely to work or will handling be adversely effected since it's a little oversize? I suspect that it will, and I can get other tires in the correct size but was hoping to try this specific tyre this winter to see how they perform. Thought I'd check in for opinions before I abandon the idea.

For those interested the tyre I'm looking at is the Anlas Winter Grip Plus. I ride is some pretty crappy conditions so was interested to see how they perform compared to the Roadtec 01s and Road 5s I normally run. I've read good reports.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:39 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Tyre sizes Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
For those interested the tyre I'm looking at is the Anlas Winter Grip Plus. I ride is some pretty crappy conditions so was interested to see how they perform compared to the Roadtec 01s and Road 5s I normally run. I've read good reports.


I would be VERY interested in reading a report on these tyres. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Tyre sizes Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:


I would be VERY interested in reading a report on these tyres. Thumbs Up


My plan is to write a detailed review but I need to be sure the wider tyre won't be an issue.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:27 - 09 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Tyre sizes Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
sickpup wrote:


I would be VERY interested in reading a report on these tyres. Thumbs Up


My plan is to write a detailed review but I need to be sure the wider tyre won't be an issue.


Might make the steering a bit heavier, check the rim size against the later model which used a 120 tyre. iirc the early used a 110 front and 150 rear, then changed to a 160 rear and then changed to a 120 front but I don't think they changed the rim size, could be wrong though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:35 - 09 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should really have a 3.5" front rim to run a 120 section tyre.

Not sure what size front rim a stock B6 has but if it's only a 3" then you can swop a 3.5" off an RF600.
____________________
Be a REAL MAN!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:47 - 10 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
Should really have a 3.5" front rim to run a 120 section tyre.

Not sure what size front rim a stock B6 has but if it's only a 3" then you can swop a 3.5" off an RF600.


Ta. The bikes is getting dropped off tonight so I'll whip it off and check the size.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:01 - 10 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the tyres are the same profile, then the 120 will have a 2.4% longer circumference, meaning the speedo (if read from the front wheel) will under-read by this amount (possibly making it closer to accurate). You will lose a bit of clearance to the mudguard/fender etc, but only a few mm.
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:36 - 10 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Ta. The bikes is getting dropped off tonight so I'll whip it off and check the size.


Size should be cast into the rim somewhere.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 10 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity as I have never owned winter tyres on bike or car, is the difference that noticeable to make changing that worth it? What do they actually do to winterise them?
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 10 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Out of curiosity as I have never owned winter tyres on bike or car, is the difference that noticeable to make changing that worth it? What do they actually do to winterise them?


Winter tyres are much softer than summer tyres, and have zigzag cuts in the tread blocks, so they splay out as the wheel presses against the floor. I've had a first hand demonstration by a guy in Norway on icy, ploughed/cleared and on snowy roads, and they aren't magic, but they are a hundred times better than summer tyres.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 10 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had all season tyres on my Skoda Yeti - they were leagues ahead of the standard-fit 'eco' tyres in pretty much all regards:

- lasted 3+ times longer
- cut through standing water like a knife
- gripped better in mild/cold conditions
- worked well in snow; got me up a local hill that was defeating all other cars I saw

Downsides?

- very, very slightly noisier
- a bit of tread-walk on hard cornering, especially in the warm/dry
- price
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:01 - 02 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Out of curiosity as I have never owned winter tyres on bike or car, is the difference that noticeable to make changing that worth it? What do they actually do to winterise them?


Winter tyres have a higher percentage of natural rubber and silica so although not necessarily softer than a summer tyre at warm temperatures remain softer at lower temperatures which are defined in this case as below 7 degress.
They also have sipes or wiggley lines cut in the tread blocks. The idea of these is that snow doesn't really stick to anything except snow. So when driving in snow the cut outs fill with snow and grips the snow on the road giving increased control over a standard tyre.

They also often have more and wider tread cut outs to clear water and snow which increases rolling resistance and lowers mpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.01 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 74.59 Kb