Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Gsxr 400 trouble again

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Garthy
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 19 Jul 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 19 Jul 2019    Post subject: Gsxr 400 trouble again Reply with quote

Hi I have a gsxr 400 gk76 I am having the notorious carb trouble.. I have replaced the full set of o rings and replaced the main jets and jet holders as these were worn and bent.. once put back together it fired up but the throttle wasn’t very responsive.. the bike was left for a day and now it will not start🤔🤔 the plugs are not getting wet.. I have removed the carbs and checked I haven’t made any stupid mistakes too many time..has anyone any ideas
____________________
Garthy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:16 - 19 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you cleaned the carbs out properly (i.e. split the bank and had them in an ultrasonic bath)? Also check the vacuum tap is working correctly. There really isn't any alchemy involved in getting these to run properly on the standard pipe and airbox, they just don't tolerate any bodging.
____________________
Be a REAL MAN!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:08 - 20 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the drain screw on a float bowl and see if anything comes out.

In my experience, getting a bank of four carbs to refill on a vacuum-operated fuel tap takes bloody ages and ends up flattening the battery. If the fuel tap has a "prime" setting, use it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 129 days between these two posts...

Colacharlie
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 25 Nov 2020
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:25 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: GSXR 400 starting issue Reply with quote

Hi all.

1- I’ve just bought a GSXR 400 1995 as a non runner. I’ve put every new seal in the carb.

2- It’s got an XL starter motor bracketed on there which turns the motor over very fast - is that okay?

3- I put New CR9E plugs in Which I now see are not correct- might that cause the next issue-

4- I had good sparks from the plugs until I put the new plugs in and now no spark.

5- I’ve got another coil on the way via the net as it was cheap but for today, what should I do next? Check the coil pickup maybe? I have a multimeter but do not know how to do this test so any advice will be very much appreciated 👍
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:25 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: GSXR 400 starting issue Reply with quote

Colacharlie wrote:

4- I had good sparks from the plugs until I put the new plugs in and now no spark.


Colacharlie wrote:

any advice will be very much appreciated


1) Put the old plugs back in.

2) Start your own thread

3) Get a service manual
____________________
Now: A100, SRX250, XJ598, FZ750, SL1000

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600, Skorpion, GT 250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

4) Fit the proper starter motor.
____________________
Be a REAL MAN!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Colacharlie
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 25 Nov 2020
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:46 - 26 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and now I have no spark from all four plugs and all the fuses are okay. Do coils go bad or will it now be a new coil pickup?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Colacharlie
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 25 Nov 2020
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:48 - 26 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and now I have no spark from all four plugs and all the fuses are okay. Do coils go bad or will it now be a new coil pickup?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:22 - 29 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be pickup, could be wiring, could be the CDI.

Time to get testing.
____________________
Be a REAL MAN!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.91 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 57.46 Kb