Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Replacing ignition barrel in a scooter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

chupacabra
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 17 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 07 Oct 2020    Post subject: Replacing ignition barrel in a scooter Reply with quote

Hello, I wanted to ask how difficult is to change an ignition barrel in a scooter. My Yamaha Cygnus has been recently stolen, but fortunately it's been recovered, but my key no longer works, it's impossible to turn the barrel. I assume that dipsh*ts who have stolen it, changed the ignition barrel. Also the kickstart doesn't work.
I wanted to ask how difficult could it be to fix it, for someone like me who is not a mechanic.
I would take it to a workshop, but once it's fixed I'd like to sell it and after it's been stolen, it's been declared SORN, so it would cost a lot just to transport it using a van to the nearest workshop and after it's repaired, back to my place.
The scooter model is Yamaha XC 125 Cygnus X (2005). Thanks in advance for any advice
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:22 - 07 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explain what you mean by the kickstart not working.
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chupacabra
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 17 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 07 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Explain what you mean by the kickstart not working.


When the battery died and I tried to use the kickstart (tried it multiple times), it didn't start the engine
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 07 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the battery die if you can't turn it on because the ignition is knackered?

It would be nice to have a full and complete story for once. Have you just snapped your key off in the ignition?
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chupacabra
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 17 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:17 - 07 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
How did the battery die if you can't turn it on because the ignition is knackered?

It would be nice to have a full and complete story for once. Have you just snapped your key off in the ignition?


Few months before my scooter was stolen, the battery died and to get back home I tried to kickstart it which didn't work.
Few weeks later, my scooter has been stolen and recently I got a call from police that it has been found not far from my place. I went to the given location and I tried to start it with my key, but the key couldn't turn the ignition barrel (if forced it goes in, but doesn't turn the barrel).
It wasn't far from my place so I pushed it back and that's pretty much it Neutral
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oilyrag
Nova Slayer



Joined: 07 Oct 2020
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:41 - 07 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guessing, don't know anything about your bike. Ignitions are usually bolted in with security bolts that round off when they're tightened. Most likely you will have to drill the heads off the bolts or cut a slot in them to get them out.

It could be DC CDI so would need a charged battery to have spark.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:41 - 08 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The normal method the Scrots use is to Bash the steering until either the stop steering stem or lock breaks !
Take the front off and remove the lock you may need to drill or chisel the bolts out
The lock may be broken I neever seen one replaced or just jamed !
The wireing will be cut
There may be frame or steering stem dammage
Try to charge the battery odds on it is dead
____________________
Dave
NC750Xdct + others at work !
[email protected]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:45 - 08 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to replace if you can get the bolts off. Take the fairings off and have a look if they are security bolts.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chupacabra
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 17 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:44 - 08 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all replies, but it seems quite complicated.
Here's a photo how it looks like, maybe someone could give more detailed advice for someone who is very limited when it comes to scooter mechanics Neutral
Also, would it be OK to push a scooter to the workshop, if it's SORN? I'm mean if police could stop me for this or maybe I could get caught by one of the ANPR cameras etc?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth taking it to a workshop?

I would try it yourself. strip off all the plastics so you can see whats going on then find the ignition barrel and see how it's held on. You will also come across any collateral scrote damage while you do it.

If you need more help come back with pictures, and by pictures I mean decent informative pictures of what you are trying to do, not pictures like the one above that shows a nice horn and fcuk all else.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Mar 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:22 - 09 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chupacabra wrote:
Also, would it be OK to push a scooter to the workshop, if it's SORN? I'm mean if police could stop me for this or maybe I could get caught by one of the ANPR cameras etc?


If you're that worried about ANPR what would happen if it's on the back of a trailer? Rolling Eyes Cover the number plate if you're that worried.

As for the plod, yes expect them to stop you and query what you're up to as 9/10 times someone pushing a scooter in a wrecked state has just stolen it. Remember to have your licence on you!

With the plastics off I doubt there's any more to it than drilling out two security bolts and unplugging a connector. Might be other stuff damaged though. Last stolen scooter I saw (dumped in my work's carpark) the scrotes had a done a truly awful job of hotwiring Sad
____________________
Royal Enfield Continental GT 535, Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, Yamaha XSR700, Honda Rebel, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki SV650 (loan) Fazer 600, Keeway Superlight 125, 50cc turd scooter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:25 - 10 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I had to fiddle with the ignition barrel on a scooter the job itself was easy, but getting all the plastics off to get down it took a surprisingly long time, and had to be done in the right order.

An electric screwdriver helps, I had to remove around 25 screws to get all the plastics off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chupacabra
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 17 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:11 - 13 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all advice. I will check with the nearest workshop with a decent feedback, how much they would charge me to have it fixed, and also transport it to the workshop and then back to my place.
If it's too expensive; I'll try to do it myself and like Polarbear recommended I will try to take off more plastic covers and fix it myself (and upload more photos in case I need more assistance which I'm pretty sure I'll need Neutral)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chupacabra
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 17 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 30 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I still haven't fixed the scooter. According to the advice I was given earlier, I managed to open front panel and check the damage. Looks like some cables have been cut (visible on the photos I've taken) and the ignition switch is not turning with my original key (I think it doesn't go all the way in, so maybe something is stuck inside). I don't know whether the ignition switch has been swapped or if it's the original ignition switch that has been damaged (probably the later one).
By reading above description and looking at the photos, can anyone advise how can it be fixed? Beside of repairing the ignition switch (to be able to start the engine), it would be great if the steering lock and the opening of the under seat storage would be possible to fix. Before it was all controlled through the ignition switch (by turning the key left, opposite direction to starting the engine).
I tried to find a replacement ignition switch that will be compatible with this model, Yamaha XC 125 Cygnus X (2005), but no luck. I also asked couple of workshops and they said that they couldn't find compatible part, also nothing on eBay.
Would it help if I take out the ignition switch? To find a replacement or with anything else? I haven't seen any serial or part number on it and one of the screws holding it in place is stripped, so it may be difficult to take it out, but if you think it would help, I should be able to take it out. Thank you in advance for any advice
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 30 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy an ignition from Yamaha or buy a second hand one.
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chupacabra
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 17 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 30 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Buy an ignition from Yamaha or buy a second hand one.

I've been looking for the aftermarket ignition switch, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
I'll contact Yamaha about it. Maybe they will have it.
How can I fix the steering lock and the opening for the under seat storage?
Also, what about the cables that have been cut?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:34 - 01 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck the Cygnus only ran for a couple of years Yamaha Have discontinued the inigtion switch !
Csml seem to have lock sets but £££
____________________
Dave
NC750Xdct + others at work !
[email protected]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tankie
Crazy Courier



Joined: 24 Feb 2017
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:27 - 01 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay has a few,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lock-key-contact-compatible-with-YAMAHA-CYGNUS-X-125-150-2007-2011/184138062282?epid=1710083973&hash=item2adf7bd9ca:g:wjAAAOSwGwtfNSgG

It must be an urgent job you have only taken 2 months so far!
____________________
Always learning, everyday is a school day
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chupacabra
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 17 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 01 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
Best of luck the Cygnus only ran for a couple of years Yamaha Have discontinued the inigtion switch !
Csml seem to have lock sets but £££

What's Csml?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chupacabra
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 17 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 01 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:


Very Happy Like Davebike's posted; it's almost impossible to find that part.
I found the one above and contacted the seller, but it's not compatible with my model (2005) Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 01 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chupacabra wrote:
What's Csml?

https://www.cmsnl.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 01 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean cables as in brake cables rather than wires as in electrical wires?

Just replace with new ones. If you can get them....
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chupacabra
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 17 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 01 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
chupacabra wrote:
What's Csml?

https://www.cmsnl.com/

Thanks
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chupacabra
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 17 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 01 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I assume you mean cables as in brake cables rather than wires as in electrical wires?

Just replace with new ones. If you can get them....


I meant electrical wires are cut
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chupacabra
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 17 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 01 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one on CMSNL, but like Davebike posted, it's very expensive;£160
https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xc125-2005-5ml3-england-1d5ml-300g1_model47669/main-switch-steeri_5mlh250100/#.X8aLus37SUk

Would it be difficult to install it?
Also, would installing this part, would fix the steering lock and the opening of the under seat storage?
And what about the wires that have been cut (visible on that photo); how could I fix them?

Is there a chance to find a cheaper generic part that will be compatible?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 304 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.82 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 128.13 Kb