Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Front brake pads - genuine vs EBC

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

dirtbike0810
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 08 Oct 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:50 - 02 Dec 2020    Post subject: Front brake pads - genuine vs EBC Reply with quote

How would EBC sintered HH pads hold up against genuine Suzuki pads for Brembo's?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:08 - 02 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaaaay better judging by the poor state of my OEM Suzuki Brembo pads. I have EBC's in my Street Triple, and they put that thing on it's nose. The Suzuki is like stopping using wet lettuce instead of pads.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dirtbike0810
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 08 Oct 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 02 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones on my bike currently (which I assume are genuine Suzuki's due to mileage) are/were excellent, I just barely touch the lever and it has strong bite.

Got quoted £92 for genuine and £58 for EBC. I'll see what the EBC's are like. Wet lettuce Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 02 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBC HH are very, very good. Too good in some cases, I found them grabby. Went with Goldfren's this time on my Viffer, allowing me a more progressive action withoug worrying I'll wash out the front. Obviously, your bikes entire setup will be different, but the compound itself is superb, if your brakes allow for it to be used to it's potential.
____________________
'98 VFR800 (touring) - '12 VFR800 Crosrunner (Commuting) - '01 KDX220 (Big Green Antisocial Machine)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 02 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtbike0810 wrote:
Got quoted £92 for genuine and £58 for EBC. I'll see what the EBC's are like. Wet lettuce Laughing


EBC HH have always been my go to in the past, but of course you have to factor in (putting the bike aside) that things like the condition of all the other breaking components will have an overall effect on how well the pads are able to perform so its worth thinking about what else will need doing / could be serviced while the pads are out and being replaced (given you'll have to flush the fluid anyway).

EBC do an organic range if the HH's are too strong for your preference.
____________________
The do it all, T̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶r̶o̶k̶e̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶,̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶i̶g̶ ̶l̶u̶m̶p̶,̶ ̶C̶h̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶N̶o̶o̶d̶l̶e̶
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:24 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For road use my go to is always OEM if available, I've got a hate boner for EBC which is probably down to last using them in the 90's when they were shit and ate discs.

However I find OEM give the best balance of feel / stopping power / disc wear.

I find Goldfren quite good as aftermarket pads go in terms of performance against cost, not quite as good as OEM (but good enough to use on Track if needed), don't ruin discs and cheap to buy.
____________________
Be a REAL MAN!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dirtbike0810
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 08 Oct 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:31 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need for the track, only road riding. Don't want to wear my discs though!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:47 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtbike0810 wrote:
Don't need for the track, only road riding. Don't want to wear my discs though!


I use the EBC organics on a couple of my bikes including my R850R in Brembo calipers. They perform really well, give good feel and stop quickly when needed. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dirtbike0810
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 08 Oct 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:59 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki might be the middle choice then?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like EBC. As Marjay did, I stuck them in my Striple and the brakes were superb.

I wasn't so keen on Goldfren, but I did have them in a ZZR1100 and the brakes wouldn't be world beating whatever was in there.

In my Goldwing 1800 I had Armstrong sintered. I really liked them but I'm not sure if even available now.

So, when my present OEM's need replacing my first port of call will be EBC HH.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actual Brembo SA pads are the way forwards. They make any percieved difference between OEM and EBC seem irrelevant.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:12 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair my Suzook has Brembo calipers with a badly matched Nissin MC.

In fact, this very weekend I plan to change to a Brembo RCS master cylinder and EBC HH pads, so I'll let you know what the bike feels like afterward. It's a shame as the bike is fantastic in so many ways, but very let down by the wooden brakes.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Yamaha pads to be really good on Fazer 1000s. Lasted well, plenty of feel and stopping power. But they got a bit pricey so I switched to EBC - HHs front, standard rear. Not quite as good on feel or longevity, but I don't have any problems with them. I think the HHs are a bit hard on the discs though.
____________________
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:18 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
In my Goldwing 1800 I had Armstrong sintered. I really liked them but I'm not sure if even available now.


This surprises me as a full set of genuine Honda pads is normally around £90-£100 so not much more than EBC with the added bonus of not eating the discs.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:33 - 05 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
For road use my go to is always OEM if available, I've got a hate boner for EBC which is probably down to last using them in the 90's when they were shit and ate discs.

However I find OEM give the best balance of feel / stopping power / disc wear.

I find Goldfren quite good as aftermarket pads go in terms of performance against cost, not quite as good as OEM (but good enough to use on Track if needed), don't ruin discs and cheap to buy.


Me too, I put a set of EBCs on my RD400 that lead me to making a decision that had life changing consequences.

That was a very long time ago, but experience over time hasn't changed my opinion.

Much more recently, I had a customer that wanted me to fit EBC pads and discs to his Audi TT - I asked him if he was sure, because they would need warming up and they had a tendency to squeal.

He insisted, so we did fit them (after a bit of a wait, they supplied him with the wrong parts) and then, a couple of weeks later, he was back to spend more money, getting us to sort out his squealing brakes.

I'm not a fan of EBC, I won't be using them anytime soon.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JackButler
Traffic Copper



Joined: 11 Nov 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:10 - 05 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with EBC's, Goldfren, Carbone Lorraine, Brembo pads etc etc. Lots of folk raving about SBS pads just lately, not tried them myself but it seems to be genuine endorsements & not an internets marketing campaign.

The secret is buying 'GENUINE' items & not just ShingChen pads in very easily copied packaging.

Fakes are now endemic amongst every motorcycle consumable & you can almost guarantee that anyone 'slagging' off a well known brand for poor quality is also the type that likes to save themselves a few quid & laffs at them that don't.

Oil, spark plugs, chains, brake pads, seals, gaskets. The list is endless & even a few very succesfull & well known internet retailers are in on the action.
____________________
I clean my guns with the tears of the snivelling, left wing scum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:18 - 05 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They transformed my Triumph brakes, and that was a couple of years back... *shrug*
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:42 - 05 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Lots of folk raving about SBS pads just lately, not tried them myself but it seems to be genuine endorsements & not an internets marketing campaign.

Had them on a Korean 125 with a single pot front. Stopped much better than whatever was in there when I got it, and that seemed almost new. Would try again if the price was on par with Goldfren, EBC etc.
____________________
'98 VFR800 (touring) - '12 VFR800 Crosrunner (Commuting) - '01 KDX220 (Big Green Antisocial Machine)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:06 - 05 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
.
Much more recently, I had a customer that wanted me to fit EBC pads and discs to his Audi TT - I asked him if he was sure, because they would need warming up and they had a tendency to squeal.

I'm not a fan of EBC, I won't be using them anytime soon.


Not all EBC pads are the same. They have a range. I run EBC yellowstuff pads all round on my fiesta ST. I find them pretty good tbh. Don't seem to be wearing the disks alarmingly, absolutely no squeal and don't require any warming up.

Did you fit red stuff pads? Those are very much squealey and track orientated.

As for on the bike, I tend to use the EBC HH pads and always find them good, year round. Feel of them is fine and they are at least on par with most OEM. They do wear disks a little faster though, but not so much that it concerns me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 05 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brembo Reds, I have never found any better pads.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 05 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
you can almost guarantee that anyone 'slagging' off a well known brand for poor quality is also the type that likes to save themselves a few quid & laffs at them that don't.


Wrong, you egg.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 May 2020
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:01 - 05 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran Galfer pads on my VFR for years; great performance and service life. Recently I installed EBC pads on my R1150R rear brake. They fit the caliper, but are a little bit too thick. The rear rotor ran hot with the EBC pads, so I switched back to OE.
____________________
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men - BOC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:54 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
JackButler wrote:
you can almost guarantee that anyone 'slagging' off a well known brand for poor quality is also the type that likes to save themselves a few quid & laffs at them that don't.


Wrong, you egg.


You appear to have spelled "cockwomble" incorrectly.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who thinks EBC pads are all fine should be made to fit R-series brake pads to their motorcycle.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Anyone who thinks EBC pads are all fine should be made to fit R-series brake pads to their motorcycle.


I was thinking more along the lines of public flogging.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 308 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.72 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.81 Kb