Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mounting a top box to a seat base.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:49 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Mounting a top box to a seat base. Reply with quote

Got a top box I am going to mount to a seat base (purchased second hand off ebay). Any tips or tricks for doing so, is it worth cutting away the material/foam first or just drill through and then the cushioning remains etc?

Thanks for any help.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:56 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: Mounting a top box to a seat base. Reply with quote

Irezumi wrote:
Got a top box I am going to mount to a seat base (purchased second hand off ebay). Any tips or tricks for doing so, is it worth cutting away the material/foam first or just drill through and then the cushioning remains etc?

Thanks for any help.

I did this. I left the foam in place and bolted the top box mount onto the seat foam. The hard part was finding four places where I could drill holes into the seat base without interfering with the mountings. I ended up with a diamond pattern.

I used a Givi Monolock universal base that is like a diagonal grid (looks a bit like chicken wire) and could position the shaped washers in an equivalent diamond pattern on the monolock mount. I used four bolts which are cap head and I inserted 3 from the bottom upwards and one from the top downwards due to the location of the bolt heads under the seat base. I tightened them down to compress the foam as much as I could. I also ran a webbing strap under the subframe inside the tailpiece that I can clip over the top of the top box as belt and braces to ensure it doesn't move.

I've not ridden with loads of weight in the box just yet, but I have used it a few times and it seems to work quite well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:38 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I have a GIVI as well so thanks for the tip on the mounting. Its an SV so the rear seat isn't the biggest so that tip may help. Good thought on the bungee too as an extra safety measure.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1