Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

65yrs thinking of getting back on a bike am I nuts?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

mark0554
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:04 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: 65yrs thinking of getting back on a bike am I nuts? Reply with quote

Hi looking for advice. I last rode a motorcycle 45 years ago when I was 20. I now live in very rural France and am thinking of getting back on. Nothing too powerful max 125cc. Advice from anyone welcome. I am looking at one of the Bullit 125 models as they are probably more suited to my age and not looking for speed. My wife says it's all Henry Cole's fault. Wink

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it, a lot of the guys I ride with are retired and in their 60s.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:47 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

French made some cool 50cc motorbikes in the 60's and 70's. You occasionally see them on stalls at flea markets. A lot of them go like shit off a shovel.

If I lived in France, I'd have a shed full of silly small capacity bikes and autocycles.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:55 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only live once
Britabroad This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: 65yrs thinking of getting back on a bike am I nuts? Reply with quote

mark0554 wrote:
Hi looking for advice. I last rode a motorcycle 45 years ago when I was 20. I now live in very rural France and am thinking of getting back on. Nothing too powerful max 125cc. Advice from anyone welcome. I am looking at one of the Bullit 125 models as they are probably more suited to my age and not looking for speed. My wife says it's all Henry Cole's fault. Wink

Do it Thumbs Up ..... I’ve had all sorts of bikes in my life, including a number of 125’s....there’s nowt wrong with 125cc bike Thumbs Up .
I’m working on one right now Smile .
You can always get something with more power/cc later if you really feel the need.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 21 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it! You won't regret it. I'm a little older than you; 2 years ago bought a Yamaha YBR 125 for tooling around the rural roads in northern Morocco. The 125 is mighty for bombing around country lanes. You'll have the time of your life.

PS. Those Bullit bikes are stylish. Nice.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:12 - 22 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: 65yrs thinking of getting back on a bike am I nuts? Reply with quote

mark0554 wrote:
......am I nuts?:

Yes...

Well it had to be said....might as well be me Laughing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 22 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Go for it, a lot of the guys I ride with are retired and in their 60s.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll appreciate a 125 bike with max allowable HP. Not for speed, but for getting up hills. Underpowered and revving the nuts off a bike to make progress becomes tedious. But do go for it, you know it makes sense.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do it, do it
Some considerations

what part of France?
Nowt wrong with plodding about on a 125 but
if its near the Pyrenees or Massive Central and hilly
a 125 may be working its ass off just to plod about.
Your own weight and height is a factor in choosing a bike too.

If its pretty hilly where you live and you have a full licence from years back a bigger bike
might be worth considering.
They only go as fast as you tell them to and mistakes on a 125 can hurt just as much as
mistakes on a 500+

125s are lighter of course so easier to pick up when you drop them ( and you will, we all do at times)

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 23 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it, get a bike. Razz

My neihgbour started riding motorcycles at about your age. Nowadays, when the weather is alright, we do group rides every saturday at exactly 1:00pm. It's 3 to 4 people including him, and he's not a slow rider, he rides that Ninja of his and talks about bikes like he was a young lad. I hope I'll be as vital and enjoying life as he is, when I get 65+. Thumbs Up

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:02 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, I only started last year, and haven't touched a bike since I was a teenager.

It opens up a whole new life style, plus you get to go and see places you'd never see in a car.

I'm gonna love this year...

Just do your test shit stuff, it's really important, for both confidence, recap, and a whole lot of shit you've forgotten or didn't know.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 24 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
If you want to do it, do it
Some considerations

what part of France?
Nowt wrong with plodding about on a 125 but
if its near the Pyrenees or Massive Central and hilly
a 125 may be working its ass off just to plod about.
Your own weight and height is a factor in choosing a bike too.

If its pretty hilly where you live and you have a full licence from years back a bigger bike
might be worth considering.
They only go as fast as you tell them to and mistakes on a 125 can hurt just as much as
mistakes on a 500+

125s are lighter of course so easier to pick up when you drop them ( and you will, we all do at times)

Agree with this, a more middle weight bike will be far more relaxed and less tiring to ride further, even though 125 can be fun just from being small and needing to be thrashed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:28 - 25 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
...Agree with this, a more middle weight bike will be far more relaxed and less tiring to ride further, even though 125 can be fun just from being small and needing to be thrashed.

...and needing to be thrashed! Couldn't agree more. Truth be told, a 250 probably makes a little more sense, if nothing more than for it's capabilities over 60mph. But it's great fun to wring out my YBR every single time I get on it. Never a complaint. No, it begs for more! Cool

H20MRV
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:47 - 16 Mar 2021    Post subject: Go For It Reply with quote

I am getting back into bikes and am looking at a Harley / BMW / Triumph all around 1200cc just for high days and holidays!! All should be fun!!

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:49 - 17 Mar 2021    Post subject: No Reply with quote

My trainer was telling me they had an 83 year old guy go for his CBT and das with them last year. He only went in the big bike for a while when he realised it was too much but he did buy a 125. I love it when I hear of these story's of people never giving up on thier dream .
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1