 barrymc Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 09 Mar 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 02:48 - 13 Apr 2005 Post subject: Hairline crack |
 |
|
Hi there,
I have just put a second hand ignition casing on my NC23, unfortunately I must have over-tightened it and cracked the casing, which is now leaking oil.
I don't want to go to the hassle and expense of getting another and I am thinking of using steel filled epoxy putty, eg Devcon.
What I'd like to know is if anyone can has actually used this in a similar type of repair and whether it's effective or not.
Cheers, ____________________ zooooooooooooooooommmmmm! |
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 03:43 - 13 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have seen dirty great holes (well up to 1/4") in crankcases repaired using lumiweld and JB-weld epoxy. These two brands seem to be the ones to go for.
Degrease thoroughly and open the crack out a bit into a v-shaped groove with a dremmel to give the epoxy a good surface area to key on to.
Assuming it is alloy, if your repair fails, you can always get someone to TIG weld it up for you.
If it is plastic, you could also try 'stitching' it with a soldering iron. Melt a series of 'hatchings' across the crack then smooth these along the length of the crack. Do the same on the other side. Make sure you get far enough past the 'point' of the crack to stop it spreading further.
If it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything by trying. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
 barrymc Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 09 Mar 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:39 - 13 Apr 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cheers for that Stinkwheel
It'll be a couple of weeks before i get a chance to do anything with it as I'm working offshore but I appreciate the help.
I see from your profile your originally from Huntly, you might know my cousin Gordon McQueen (chef to trade). I don't know if he's still there as I haven't spoken to him since his dad's funeral a few years back.
Anyway, ta much ____________________ zooooooooooooooooommmmmm! |
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|