Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Oil change on 1981 Yamaha 650 xs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

keith_dude
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:00 - 14 Apr 2005    Post subject: Oil change on 1981 Yamaha 650 xs Reply with quote

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I rode an 1986 Honda Shadow for a number of years, and sold it with 85k on it. I loved that bike.

With gas being $2.00/gallon +, the wife finally agreed I need to get a bike again. I picked up an old Yamaha.

Can anyone tell me how I'd go about draining the oil on a Yamaha 650 xs?

Also, it seems to shift poorly. I understand that's one of the "quirks" of this bike....but today I had problems backing it up. The clutch was engaged, but it would not back up.

Any ideas? Do I need to get the tranny/clutch rebuilt?

Thanks in advance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Guest
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:30 - 14 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: Oil change on 1981 Yamaha 650 xs Reply with quote

keith_dude wrote:


With gas being $2.00/gallon +,


Yeh go on, rub it in Very Happy It's around $7.30 over here (though our gallons are about 10% bigger) Crying or Very sad

This is the good old 650 twin right?

https://www.realclassic.co.uk/books/books05010502.jpg

The best thing you can do is treat yourself to a workshop manual, Clymer of Haynes are about the best unless you can source a genuine Yamaha one. That'll tell you all you need to know. The 650 didn't sell all that well over here but someone may be along soon with the specific info you need. There's a few on Ebay right now ... https://search.ebay.com/Yamaha-XS-650-manual_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQsacatZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQsadisZ200QQfposZQ5AIPQ2FPostalQQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQcoactionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch

The clutch sounds like it's dragging - not dis-engaging properly - and it could be simply out of adjustment or if the bike's ben stood for a while the plates may just be sticking together. Get it nice and warm and then change the oil and that may sort it.

I wouldn't bother using an expensive bike specific oil in it, certainly not synthetic. There was no such thing when that bike was designed and it'll run quite happily on a regular 'car' oil, probably 10W/40

Good luck

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

keith_dude
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:08 - 14 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding.

Yah, yah....Smile I've talked to folks on other forums that tell me to stop whining about the price of gas. Smile

I know we're spoiled...but geez. We're just not used to spending much on gas.

Anyway, I've already been suckered into spending about $4/qt for some oil...we'll see if it does any good. I still can't find that darn oil plug though. On the old Honda Shadow, it was right underneath. Easy to find.

I do believe I'll order a manual. I already told the wife I needed to get one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Guest
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:29 - 14 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the oil filter is under a round cover on the right hand side engine cover, where the points would be on an old Triumph.

It's not dry sump is it? i.e. seperate oil tank?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

keith_dude
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:11 - 14 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy at the mechanics that I had it in to for another issue (it wasn't charging the batter--brake light switch was broken) said that there is no "filter" -- just a screen to remove and clean off.

He seemed to indicate that I'd need to add 4 quarts of oil, then proceeded to sell me a gallon of motorcycle oil.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 44.31 Kb