Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Stopping for a fellow rider (or driver).

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 02 Oct 2026    Post subject: Stopping for a fellow rider (or driver). Reply with quote

This morning I thought I’d make a nice 100 mile round trip to visit the ancient town of Lavenham and use my National Trust card to see the Tudor-period Guildhall. However, 5 miles into the journey I came across a fallen rider. He was lying on the nearside grass verge of a dual carriageway and two drivers were already with him. There was a sort of lay-by ahead so I stopped there. I wasn’t sure what support I might be able to offer but I’ve had people stop for me when I’ve broken down (even when I’ve just stopped for a photograph) and, while it’s rare a passer-by can help, the fact that they offer has been much appreciated. I did think I might bring a biker’s perspective and, for example, disallow moving the rider or removing his helmet. You’d think these things are common knowledge but certain social media fora make me doubt the general public. In this case they were all golden. The rider was quite agitated and moving about anyway, albeit lying down.

More people stopped, including two nurses arriving separately. I realised in comparison I wasn’t able to offer much more than sympathy and a little bit of traffic management, waving my arms to warn of the Speed Triple lying in the gutter when it looked like traffic hadn’t yet seen it. The bike’s alternator cover was smashed and leaking oil. A crash bung near the radiator had done its job but otherwise the bike looked all right, although I didn’t look closely. Lovely bike actually. Later I pushed it out of the way though I couldn’t find neutral. The rider was as concerned about his bike as he was for his own situation, and I laughed to myself later when I recalled he’d asked me what bike I was riding. We just can’t help ourselves, can we!

The biker was lying on his side, and conscious. He had a sore forearm and pain from a blow to the chest, but he was also spoiling for a punch-up with the van driver who he said had side-swiped him by moving from lane 2 to lane 1 as they went uphill past a fixed speed camera with a blind crest ahead. The van driver said the bike was undertaking with a 20mph speed differential. The driver called the emergency services more than once after two groups of blues ‘n’ twos cop cars and ambulances raced past on their way to other incidents. The rider couldn’t stand for more than a moment due to increased chest pain but he had no trouble speaking or breathing, and the nurses had no immediate concerns so I’d speculate he was just badly bruised, although the adrenaline might have been masking something.

After about 25 minutes two police cars arrived and the lane was cordoned off for safety. At that point I told the copper I wasn’t a witness and I had just stopped to help if I could, adding that the two ladies present were nurses and I had moved the bike 25 yards to safety. The policeman said I could go and in fact the fewer people the better from his point of view unless you were directly involved.

Anyway, I didn’t fancy carrying on with my journey because I had too many thoughts on the matter, and usually when I ride it’s just about the bike and the road. I don’t think about other stuff, which is kind of the appeal of riding. Instead I went home, albeit the long way. I hope (and believe) Alan - known as Bob - was ok and his bike will be too.

I just wanted to get that off my chest but to make it a thread I would ask, have you stopped for a fellow traveller in trouble, or has anyone stopped for you?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:51 - 02 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always stop.

It's always worth stopping and checking the people trying to help are happy with what they are doing. Also checking that the people standing around are actually trying to help because they aren't always.

Ask the right questions, don't ask "Is everyone ok?" ask "Is anyone hurt?" "Has someone called 999?". Don't be afraid to give people jobs to do if you see something that needs doing. Move people off the road because there's a tendancy for them to stand around in the road like an idiot. If someone's with a casualty, ask if they need any help.

Once I've established nobody needs my assistance, nobody is injured (or if they are, they are under adequate supervision) I fuck off quick sharp. Unless I was a witness I have no desire to talk to the police and if you hang about, you can land up stuck in or on the wrong side of a road closure which can take fucking hours.

I've done CPR on a bike casualty at the side of the road twice now. It's one of the reasons i always go and stick my oar in because on one of them I was about 10 cars back. I rode to the front and stuck my oar in. There were about five people stood round a scooter rider who was unconcious and stuck halfway into a hedge. One of them actually said "You're wasting your time mate.". I got someone to help me pull him out of the hedge, no breathing, no pulse, helmet was lying in the road with the strap done up (a bad sign).

Along with the one other person in the group of rubberneckers who was prepared to help we started CPR on him. An ambulance arrived and I could see they weren't paramedics, they were fluffing and flustering about and arguing with each other about what bit of kit they needed so we just kept at it. Then the paramedic ambulance arrived and gave us immediate clear instructions "Keep doing what you're doing, I'll tell you when we're ready to take over.". Then I got an "Ok, step back now" and they took over.

Much fucking about with the police for the next hour or so. The kid died. 17 years old, slid out on gravel on his scooter and hit a road sign in the hedge. HOWEVER he was airlifted to the trauma centre, they don't transport dead bodies in a helicopter. I saw an article in the local paper the following week saying he'd donated organs which saved multiple lives and it gave his parents a degree of comfort knowing that. His parents were also with him in the hospital to make that decision.

So Mr "You're wasting your time mate." can shove that up his arse sideways.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 03 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It's always worth stopping and checking the people trying to help are happy with what they are doing. Also checking that the people standing around are actually trying to help because they aren't always.

This is so right. Its appalling, firstly, how many people won't even stop at all at these situations at all ("I wouldn't have had a clue what to do anyway"), and secondly, how many of the people who do stop literally don't have a clue.
____________________
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS->R1250RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 May 2020
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:20 - 05 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was commuting to work in the dark, pre-dawn hours on January morning; US 101 (motorway) just south of San Francisco. Riding in the #2 lane (of 4), approximately 70 mph. The traffic 1/2 mile ahead comes to a halt. I brake and split the #1-2 lane up to the front. I see a late model Triumph Bonneville down in the #2 lane. The rider was trying to lift the bike and was having difficulty. I parked ahead of him in the #2 lane and helped him get the bike upright. His left hand was hurt.

We tried to push the bike, but it was stuck in gear. I found Neutral as we rocked the bike back and forth, then started toward the right shoulder. Around the #1 (fast) lane comes a guy in a Ford Explorer. He pulls up behind us and turns his SUV sideways in the #2 lane, rolling slowly and effectively blocking the traffic for us as we crossed three lanes to the shoulder. Cars in the slow lane were still trying to get by, and the SUV blocked them so that we could get over.

We got to the shoulder and I lowered the kickstand on the Triumph, bid the rider good luck, and turned around. There was my VFR, idling on its kickstand, 3 lanes over. The cars in front were still stopped, allowing me safe passage back to my bike. I couldn't believe it. I jumped on the bike and sped off to work.

The whole event seems like a dream now. I hope the Triumph rider is OK. I feel badly that I didn't pull back to the shoulder and see to his needs. If I ever find myself in a similar situation, I resolve to try harder to keep a clear head. This was so surreal.
____________________
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men - BOC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 05 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this explicitly for the help of riders who have crashed, or generally (broken down etc) ?
____________________
CBT: 12/06/10, Theory: 22/09/10, Module 1: 09/11/10, Module 2: 19/01/11
Past: 1991 Honda CG125BR-J, 1992 (1980) Honda XL125S, 1996 Kawasaki GPZ500S, 1979 MZ TS150.
Current: 1973 MZ ES250/2 - 18k, 1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 10k, 1981 Honda CX500B - 91k, 1987 MZ ETZ250 - 40k, 1989 MZ ETZ251 - 52k.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:21 - 05 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Is this explicitly for the help of riders who have crashed, or generally (broken down etc) ?

Both.

In my case I realised I wasn’t much use so I’m now thinking of going on a Biker Down course.

In the case of mechanical breakdowns I’ve had people stop to offer help and although there’s never been anything they could do it’s always been a nice thing. I carry some tools but in a breakdown scenario I doubt I’d be much help to another rider at the roadside.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:39 - 05 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only once wished I hadn't bothered. Harley rider broken down at the side of the road. Stopped on my 350 bullet to ask if he needed a hand and his reply was "You wont have anything on that thing that can fix my bike." (in a tone of voice that was actually saying "Your bike's a piece of shit and I don't even want to talk to you because I'm part of the harley master race).

So I rode away, taking my full toolkit (including both metric and imperial spanners, cable repair kit, spare tubes, multimeter, fuses and tyre levers. Probably enough to totally strip and rebuild his bike) with me.

I hope he got rained on.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 May 2020
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:52 - 05 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twice I have stopped to help riders who had run out of fuel. One time on a Ninja 500 (ER-5) we found an old coke cup on the side of the road. I disconnected the fuel line from my petcock, started the motor and ran the carburetor dry (to create vacuum for the fuel cock to pass fuel), and filled the cup. We were miles from town, but the cup held enough for him to get to the petrol station. Nowadays I usually carry a water bottle, so that at least I have a clean, half-litre container available if needed.

My big fear is encountering someone in need of medical attention. I have undertaken numerous first aid training sessions in the past but never had to put it to use. I'm not confident in my ability to help. I could probably help with a mechanical or electrical issue as I am pretty good at hillbilly engineering. First aid, not so much.
____________________
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men - BOC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Nov 2020
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:09 - 05 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird, this thread is 3 days old but im only seeing it now?.

the last time i stopped, it was for an old boy on a vintage Matchless.
turned out that the electric starter he had rigged to the bike wasnt working. took him a bit of effort on the kick starter to get it fired up.
____________________
Moto Guzzi V7.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:49 - 05 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:

My big fear is encountering someone in need of medical attention. I have undertaken numerous first aid training sessions in the past but never had to put it to use. I'm not confident in my ability to help. I could probably help with a mechanical or electrical issue as I am pretty good at hillbilly engineering. First aid, not so much.


Just do your best, it'll be better than doing nothing. Plus you can sleep at night after knowing you tried. We're fortunate we're never all that far from the cavalry arriving in the UK so you don't need to worry about the small stuff. Catastrophic bleeding, airway, circulation in that order. I'd count pretty much anything else as "small stuff" in that it can wait until the cavalry arrives. So if they're not bleeding out and they are breathing on their own, you keep them warm, reassured as you can and not moving about until said cavalry arrives while keeping an eye on the whole still breathing thing.

So forget about all the bandaging, slings, etc. If they're bleeding out, stop it with direct pressure and/or a torniquet. If they're not breathing or their heart has stopped, you're going to need to get that helmet off and them on their back to do anything about it. All the fluffing about wether or not to move them or take their helmet off goes out of the window, an intact spine is useless if you have stopped breathing.

Anything else is more or less window dressing, if something comes back to you that could help then great. If not, don't sweat it, stay with them and wait for the professionals.

My second serious accident was a bad smash involving a close friend, head-on with a landrover. We did CPR on him for a good 40 minutes until the air ambulance arrived (we were a long way from anywhere, about as far as you could really get from help in the UK). I could tell by his breathing pattern just before he stopped breathing it was super bad and probably hopeless but we got on and did it. Other folks have said they don't know how I coped with doing that. My reply has always been that I'm happy I did everything I could. What I couldn't have coped with is having done nothing.

I'm fortunate I did first aid when I was in the TA at college, the British Army doesn't fuck about with first aid training. The scenarious they throw you into are very realistic. At least with a bike crash you don't have to deal with people shooting at you and landmines/IEDs.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:03 - 05 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

25% of the Biker Down course appears to be,
Quote:
The Science of Being Seen: Practical mental strategies to help navigate blind spots and avoid collisions entirely.

I reckon I’ve already got that sussed as far as possible. Maybe a straightforward First Aid course would be better. I did those at work years ago before they decided to have dedicated First Aiders.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/biker-down-course-tickets-525086075587

I think maybe Bob wasn’t a good example, him moving about and breathing and all. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.52 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 81.42 Kb