Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Thoughts on retirement.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 09 Oct 2026    Post subject: Thoughts on retirement. Reply with quote

I’ve been retired for 11 weeks after volunteering for redundancy, and I’ll be 64 this month. I’m single and renting but I’ve got a decent pension and my employee shares should buy me a house away from the south-east. I tell myself I would have had two years to plan for retirement in the normal course of events but I’m not sure I’d have done that in reality, and anyway, here I am.

Observations so far are;

Arrow I haven’t missed work at all!
Arrow it’s been a brilliant summer despite trying to avoid spending too much money because my pension isn’t sorted yet
Arrow pensions are baffling. I have a financial advisor and he’s taking quite a fee but it’s probably worthwhile
Arrow I’m not missing daily personal interactions (I’m that type) although I worry that I should
Arrow I fear I’ll get cabin fever come the winter
Arrow the daytime, mid-week drivers and trolley-wielding shoppers seem to be operating in a slower time dimension while I still have a “gotta be somewhere!” mindset (even though I don’t)
Arrow my small suburban garden is teeming with wildlife; mostly birds but also frogs and hedgehogs
Arrow after a lifetime of work this does feel a bit wrong, and there are days when I think I’m wasting my life. I haven’t ruled out finding some work later, possibly volunteering though I don’t know what
Arrow I’ve been surprised how many people aren’t working, by which I mean (for example) the work vans that clutter the main road round the estate don’t move for days. It confirms my suspicion that some tradesmen can bill two jobs a week and afford to be mostly at home; also confirming my suspicion that a career in pharmaceutical manufacturing and R&D was a mugs game financially.

Any thoughts or advice on retirement?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:55 - 10 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a “pensioner” now, aged 55 and work part time, start work at 10:30 finish at 13:30 miss the school runs and commute on my motorbike in daylight all year. ?

There seems to be a fair few like me too, with one foot in retirement.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 10 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a local mens shed? Can give you something to do or just work on your own projects using someone elses tools and keeping the mess out of your house. Also stops you disappearing up your own arse in terms of social interaction.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Mar 2019
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:38 - 10 Oct 2026    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Covid, our company switched to work from home. I also don't write code any more as the AIs can do that for me - effectively I'm a semi-retired AI wrangler. Compared to what I used to do, I probably only "work" one day a week and the rest is cracking a digital whip to get my silicon minions moving.

I've really enjoyed this past summer Very Happy
____________________
Royal Enfield Continental GT 535, Husqvarna Vitpilen 401, Yamaha XSR700, Honda Rebel, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki SV650 (loan) Fazer 600, Keeway Superlight 125, 50cc turd scooter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.29 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 41.88 Kb