Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Anyone riden the new superduke?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Valver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Anyone riden the new superduke? Reply with quote

Any of you bought one or had one out on test?
I had my first ride of one on Saturday. Just wondering what other folk make of them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:29 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love a go, but I don't think there are many in the country yet. What did you make of it?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:33 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent ridden one, but I stare at the pictures longingly. Does that count?
____________________
Bikes: too many, too much for one man to maintain anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Valver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was very disappointing really. I was all set for buying one a couple of months ago without even testing one, thought it would be the most awsome bike ever. Thank god i rode on first!!!
I guess i'd drewled over it for too long and built it up in my head.

Very very very average! Thumbs Down
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw one at cadwell, looked yummy!

It's the only KTM i've seen that i really want.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jonboy
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 02 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:14 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

valver wrote:
It was very disappointing really. I was all set for buying one a couple of months ago without even testing one, thought it would be the most awsome bike ever. Thank god i rode on first!!!
I guess i'd drewled over it for too long and built it up in my head.

Very very very average! Thumbs Down


You;ve got to tell us a bit more than that mate - i've been thinking about swapping the gixxer for one, but my local shop just flogged the demo - tell us how the test ride went! Engine, brake, handling, noise and all the rest!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Valver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first little niggle I had which doesn’t bother me too much but I thought would be bound to annoy the hell out of some, especially shorter blokes is the side stand.
Its tucked right in close beneath the engine so that once folded up I couldn’t kick it down again without climbing off the bike first. Maybe its just that my size 12s are too clumsy but I can’t imagine having smaller feet would make that much difference.
Second niggle was the seat height feels far too low for me. Maybe to make it easier to climb off to kick the stand down. Or maybe just because I’m used to riding supermoto and big sports bikes like the TLR where you have to stretch your toes.
The clutch is really heavy, again this doesn’t bother me much but after 20minutes of filtering through traffic at road works and traffic lights my forearm was bulging.

So the important stuff.
The handling seemed really neat no complaints there. The chassis is fantastic!
Brakes felt really solid although its one hell of a reach for the front brake lever.
The gear box feels really positive.
At low revs (1k – 3.5k) the bike lurchs and rattles so much so that you have to have to take it up to about 6k before changing into second if you want a smooth ride.
When cracked open at low revs it pulls like a train and sounds quite nice, quiet if anything, could have done with some sporty pipes. After about 6k, just as I was getting ready to brace my neck, the power seemed to fade off and up to 10grand getting more and more slouchy. Now I know it’s a twin and you can’t expect the same progressive power you get from an in-line four but for me it just didn’t cut it.
Sitting at 90mph in top gear and cracking open the throttle didn’t give anything like the stomp of power I’d grown used to on my TL.
So in all it was only really the engine that disappointed me but so much so that it put me off the bike altogether.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BLOFLY 636
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:34 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seen a video of one it was like an advertisement I think but not too Legal if you know what I mean! the guy was crazy popping mingers down the highway at night and getting the pegs down around bends, zipping in and out of traffic very poor appreciation of traffic laws, almost had me convinced I would like one more than a BMW R1200GS but then I realised I can't ride as good as that! I still think the BMW R1200GS is more suited to us bland nervous types Laughing
____________________
Those bloody footpegs......they ought to do away with em!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLOFLY 636 wrote:
I seen a video of one it was like an advertisement I think but not too Legal if you know what I mean!


You mean this one Cool .

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vid:

https://www.990superduke.com/media/impressions/vid/01_filme.wmv

I had a sit on one at the NEC and it was deathly uncomfortable. The seat was far too hard and it felt as though it was about 3 inches wide. (Then again, I am used to a rather softer saddle).
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BLOFLY 636
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:50 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it was deathly uncomfortable. The seat was far too hard and it felt as though it was about 3 inches wide.


hmmm funny you say that because I thought roughly the same thing when I sat on the 2004 Honda CBR600RR I had to get off and press it with my thumb to be sure before I started looking for the air valve to let 300PSI out Laughing
____________________
Those bloody footpegs......they ought to do away with em!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:55 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLOFLY 636 wrote:
I thought roughly the same thing when I sat on the 2004 Honda CBR600RR


And the ZX6-R, the R6, R1, VFR, 999 etc etc. The Fazer, Gpz, Thundercat and ZZR all seemed comfy and all had reasonably sensible riding positions: not your nose to the ground and your arse in the air. Laughing Still, horses for courses. It just seems I prefer comfortable bikes. Smile
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BLOFLY 636
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too I want a big fat seat like that on the ZRX1200 or BMW R1200GS please Very Happy the 2004 GSX-R models have one of the softest seats I have seen on a sportsbike!
____________________
Those bloody footpegs......they ought to do away with em!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.15 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 79.16 Kb