Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Shall I do a course and test or just test?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:59 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Shall I do a course and test or just test? Reply with quote

Hey, just wanted a bit of advice really. I'm on a 50 at the moment, and my 17th is in August. But since my crash in January, my mum has told me she wants me to have advanced lessons before I go on a bigger bike. Well when she saw the RG, she said she definitely wants me to have advanced lessons because of the power and size. So i'm thinking instead of having advanced lessons, why not take my A2. She said thats a possibility. So what I want to think about is whether to do a 2 or 3 day course then do test, or do theory and then practical with no training.

Cheers
Josh
____________________
Honda MBX50 | Yamaha RD125LC | Suzuki RG125F Lucky Strike | Suzuki GSF600S
RD125LC Pictures
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:14 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go get some lessons in with an instructor if your planning to take your test.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

baldy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:31 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been riding on L's for almost two years and i think that i'm good enough for test but i still booked some lessons just in case. Can never be too carefull.
____________________
One day i will rule the world, just not today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

m99dws
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a substitute for training.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:47 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you fail a few times, it's still going to be cheaper than a course.

You might well not realise how many bad habits you might have however, and to do DAS, there's no option but to take a course/ lessons really, seeing as you need their bike and an instructor escort to go there at least.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stu_666
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 27 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:13 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you do DAS at 17?

I'd probably agree that a few lessons are a good idea as they'd know exactly what the examiner is looking for and after all you only need a few minors to fail.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BlueNinja
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:37 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAS is only for people over the age of 21.

You can do A2 at 17, and you may use 33bhp machines if you have passed this test.
____________________
Big Kawasaki ZXR 400 project here:
https://www.theundertaking.com/index.php?showtopic=483
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So have a few lessons first, then do test? So how many do you reckon will be enough? And any idea on how much they cost per lesson?
____________________
Honda MBX50 | Yamaha RD125LC | Suzuki RG125F Lucky Strike | Suzuki GSF600S
RD125LC Pictures
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

impaler
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:11 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're already competent at riding around on L plates, you'll probably want 5 to 10 hours of lessons to get up to test standard. I did my CBT and then rode on them for around 8 months over the winter before doing my A2 test and whilst I felt perfectly comfortable riding around before the lessons, I would have failed my test before I got out of the test centre car park if it wasn't for my instructor's... instructions Smile
____________________
Monster m600
Web, blog, Bikepics page
An optimist will tell you the glass is half full. The pessimist, half empty. The engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

biker-dj
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:59 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT in Feb rode around practising what I had been taught then did a couple of road rider mornings with a DAS approved instructor and although it cost me 140 quid (70quid each morning) there was a few bits I didnt know ie correct road positioning. But I did my A2 last Tues and passed first time with only 4 minors. I consider that 140 quid money well spent cos there's nothing like the sound of an examiner saying "I'm pleased to tell you you've passed". So my little CBRs up for sale and GPZ 500 here I come Very Happy Very Happy
____________________
Ride with the music!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:13 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my test on 3rd try without any lessons and about 6 months riding on a 125 experience.

Have a look on https://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/centres.htm for places near you for road training, you should be able to get them to do an assessment and be able to say how many hours would be necessary.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:24 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some lessons, I just passed this week and even though I thought I could ride, they have some essential tips on how the examiner likes to see you do things.

I managed to get lessons for £15, so not much really and I had 6 hours so £90 and I passed first time.

It is essential advice on what you are expected to do, all of us can ride, but we have to impress the examiner.

They will show you test routes and places examiners fail you.

My lessons were worth it just for that, because they took me on a road where I would have failed.

If your in West Yorkshire area I can recommend a school.

Stay away from those places that only do a days training at say £100 a day, they are rip of merchants. Stick to a school that will give you just a couple of hours and be honest with you.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.36 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 73.23 Kb