Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


do you brake in to corners?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

do you brake in to corners?
Just roll off
47%
 47%  [ 30 ]
brake
52%
 52%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 63

Author Message

White Noise
Mr Dudwee



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: do you brake in to corners? Reply with quote

This morning i did a advanced biking 4 hr session with a police rider, had a good ride and learned loads!
the main thing was keeping it in a low gear to keep the revs up so you have more throttle response, also showed me how to take corners without braking!
just wondering how people take corners?
do you just roll off the throttle to the correct speed for the corner and not brake or do you brake?
WN
____________________
Buy my wife: 96' Yam XJ600s (Diversion)
Wing Commander White Noise - SE Clique
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight


Last edited by White Noise on 15:50 - 07 May 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what speed I'm doing.
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:00 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on teh corner, but im quite lazy, so try to avoid moving my hand to the brake lever if i can avoid it

so yeh, just roll off a bit normally to get to the right corner speed
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dotti
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to just roll off the throttle for most of the corners that I need to slow down for. I often don't even need to do that, and just carry on at the current speed that I'm riding, provided it's safe to do so. Obviously there are times when braking is required, but as long as you aren't riding over the speed limit most corners can be taken safely at your current speed.
____________________
Dangerous traffic offences spotted on 50-minute trip: Lost count after 100. Number of traffic cops spotted: One, sitting by a speed-trap camera
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Craggles
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do my best to roll off/change down when riding around normally. I tend to try and save the brakes for:

( A ) Emergencies
( B ) Stopping
( C ) Slow Riding (Rear Brake)

If I have to use the brakes on a fast road (Motorway, Dual Caridgeway, boring A road), I havn't been concentrating enough - unless somones just done something *really* stupid in front of me!

Craig
____________________
If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:51 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends totally on the situation/corner, for example on the track you tend to either be on the brakes or on the gas.
On the road if you are not rushing too much and use a bit of forward planning then it is quite simple to make a journey without relying on your brakes. I think it often helps smooth riding to do this, try riding home from work without using your brakes (unless you have to of course).
Some of my favourite local roads I tend to overbrake before hand so I can build speed up through the corner, especially if trying to GMKD as I find its easier to do build speed upto a comfortable level than bombing into a corner and praying I get round. (not very often I try to GMKD on the road though tbh).
____________________
"Unlike public school you don't need to have your arse up and your head down to go a long way...."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steveh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:55 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, i speed up for them Laughing



If i brake its only the back brake and very lightly, normally just roll of and ride it out depending on how fast im going.


Steve.
____________________
Current : 06 Zx10r, 07 Wr450f SM, 74 850 norton commando, 63 bsa b40, 1962 Triton 650, 67 Triumph Tr6r, 1955 Triton 750, 1978 TY250E.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:55 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on weather I have noticed the corner or have been pootling along not really paying much attention. lol.
____________________
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if I know the road or not - I'd tend to use the brakes less on "known" roads, probably because I know how fast I can go round some of the corners Confused
____________________
Power Ranger Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fruit'n'nut wrote:
I'd tend to use the brakes less on "known" roads, probably because I know how fast I can go round some of the corners Confused



You tend to know what gear to get into too. It really does depend what kind of road it is too, if there has been a longish straight then I would need to brake to loose enough speed to get around the corner as the engine breaking on my bike isn't particularly brilliant.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends what i feel like
normally i try to get the right speed before the corner

if im having a crazy 10 mins then ill speed upto it at a howl of revs and slam the brakes on and turn in
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tony532
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:39 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont brake before or when going round a corner
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:40 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake usually, as I have virtually no engine braking.
____________________
Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

california_rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:42 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm on one of my favorite roads, no, hardly ever. I normally don't waste my time shifting out of fourth gear either as it's good for up to about 145mph and pulls fairly well from about 50mph. Unknown roads are quite another matter. At the slightest hint of a hairpin I'm on the brake like Michael Jackson on an 8-year-old. Cool
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/californiarookie/04gsxr600/
https://www.myspace.com/spapadillion
https://steamcommunity.com/id/spapadillion
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point: I use the brake* when there's traffic behind me, rather than just rolling off the throttle - it's a visible sign that you're slowing Thumbs Up





*even if it's the lightest of touches, just to get the brake-light glowing as I slow.
____________________
Power Ranger Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tony532
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you should do when slowing to a stop at traffic lights e.t.c
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

winwick
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:37 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

some corners you will never get round without brakes.
if its a gentleswooper i tend to just roll offto a neutral thottle then gas it once i've turned.
faster tighter corners i tend to trail brake upto the apex then give it handful from the apex to the exit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dransy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:23 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

brake bfor the corner then roll around it then accelarate out of it
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tony532
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:41 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends what bike you are riding

i can roll on the throttle round bends on the cat and fiddle on the tiny gsxr400sp

try that on a r1 and you will be sliding down the road
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BLOFLY 636
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

only rear brake when leaned over and only a light press to ease the speed into corners or bends it is also meant to be a good way of unloading the front tyre a little to reduce any slips from poor road conditions Thumbs Up
____________________
Those bloody footpegs......they ought to do away with em!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:27 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been told completely contradicting views both from rospa riders..

One said allways use the brake, thats why they are there, also saves on mechanical wear (??)

The other said try to only use the brake when you really need to, because it makes rideing smoother...


I know people ride differently on roads they know, i.e. more relaxed, but even if you can see over the hedge rows that theres no traffic and the exit is clear there could stil be a dead cow in the middle of the road... so imo its allways best to have the brake covered even if your not going to use it...

Generally i'll slow with engine brakeing but with the brake covered, if it needs more i'll use it lightly, if there is no traffic i'll get to the the opposite side of the corner (over to the right for a left) for maximum view and then when its all clear power back on...
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLOFLY 636 wrote:
only rear brake when leaned over and only a light press to ease the speed into corners or bends it is also meant to be a good way of unloading the front tyre a little to reduce any slips from poor road conditions Thumbs Up




Exclamation Even using the back brake, you will still load the front a little - it's the slowing of the bike which does this, not which brake you use.

If the road surface is greasy/damp, you should (IMO) be aiming to have all your braking done while the bike is completely upright, before turning in.

That way, you can have the throttle cracked open to maintain your speed through the corner while you turn - having the throttle open (slightly) is what will keep load off your front tyre.
____________________
Power Ranger Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't tend to brake for corners on the road because of my bikes engine braking. However I do sometimes drag the rear brake slightly in order to steady the back end going into corners. I always gently release it at the apex anyway.

On the track of course I brake for corners, but this feels weird if you aren't used to last minute braking on the road.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:57 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redline in fifth for most of the corners around here. Confused

That's more the fault of the bike than the corners though.

I'll normally roll off rather than use the brakes though, there's plenty of engine braking on a 4t 125 single. I try to use the brakes only when I have to, basically to stop.

As for using the brakes to save on mechanical wear, the brakes are there to be worn. That's their sole purpose (if they didn't wear, there'd be pretty little braking force). Laughing
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jonboy
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 02 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:38 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a bit of a strange question tbh - obviously I roll off the throttle if I need to slow down for a corner, and if this doesn't slow down the bike enough, I need to brake. I wouldn't change down more gears than necessary just to slow the bike down however.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 0.92 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 130.32 Kb