Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


KTM Superduke Test Ride

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Silver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:49 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: KTM Superduke Test Ride Reply with quote

Just got back from test riding the KTM Superduke. It all looked bad when I got my GSXR out of the garage this morning... and it started raining Evil or Very Mad Luckily, when I got to the dealers (about 15 miles away) it was sunny with a clear blue sky Very Happy

Anyway, the first first thing that struck me about the Superduke was the riding position. It felt very similar to the KTM 640cc LC4 Supermoto that I rode at the bike show in November - very upright. So, I knocked it into first gear and with five people watching.... stalled it! Embarassed Second attempt was successful and I buggered off up the road.

Due to the upright position the bike is incredibly flickable and low speeds, much like the LC4. But it doesn't seem to sacrifice any high speed stability or manouverability because of it. I was lobbing it into roundabouts and it felt completely planted.

The most impressive thing I found though were the front brakes. I thought they seemed good, so I gave a fistful at a set of red lights and, as hoped, the back wheel came off the ground Cool I would never have attempted that on my GSXR 10 minutes after jumping on it!

The power delivery is a little strange to me as I'm normally used to riding 4-cylinder bikes and this is a twin. It redlines at 9,500rpm, so I kept hitting the rev limiter accidently (the GSXR is 14,000rpm). It certainly goes though, and I had 130mph out of it and although it didn't have much left it got there quickly enough. Another surprising thing was that the windblast was not too bad at that speed.

Overall I'm very impressed, although it's an expensive bike at £8400 (ish) and there are only 200 coming into the country this year (and it has to be the black one!)

Riding home saw me coming through the rain again, and this time a bloody hailstorm - you know it's bad when you can feel them through your leathers. Riding position felt really cramped when I'd got back on the GSXR Laughing

Anyway, like I say it seems like a very good bike on first impressions Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Black Knight
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the prettist thing i've ever seen!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dibbster
Nearly there...



Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not keen on the shape; it looks a bit half-finished. Confused
____________________
Suzuki RF 600 - The two wheeled Testarossa (Deceased)
Suzuki GSXR - Now stops on a sixpence; SBK3's Thumbs Up
www.bikepics.com/members/dibbster
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a prototype. One of those bikes when you think 'don't make that'. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:18 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks a lot better in real life (and even more better in black!) believe me!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:30 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
It looks a lot better in real life (and even more better in black!) believe me!


I agree, it is damn sexy and that is a damn poor photo.

What about the mono-ness silver? Any joy? Looks like a nice wheel base and geometry for some meaty wheelies.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

paulthewitt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:16 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

that pictur is awful. i saw one of these in fowkers (bristol) the other day. it is gorgeous.

glad you had fun!


Paul
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
What about the mono-ness silver? Any joy? Looks like a nice wheel base and geometry for some meaty wheelies.


It went light a few times but I didn't really try. Didn't fancy flipping a demo bike! Laughing I'm sure it'd be good for it though.

For the people above, here's a better picture.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Liverpoolrobb...
Crazy Courier



Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like a DNA but bigger cc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jonboy
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 02 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:54 - 08 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up - but you're wrong about one thing - it should be in orange, not black! Laughing

How did you find the smoothness of the motor after a 4 cylinder? I've been considering a big twin for a while (tuono then superduke) but do like a smooth throttle response and am a bit wary of snatchiness with a twin. I've only ever ridden 4 cylinder bikes, but having said that, found a ktm duke ok on a test ride.
And the gsxr seems pretty cramped after getting off my cbr600! My first ride out of the garage on the supermoto was comedy - couldn't find the pegs with my feet.. Embarassed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 65.88 Kb