|
|
| Author |
Message |
| fernando |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fernando L Plate Warrior
Joined: 25 May 2005 Karma : 
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:33 - 26 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just do it.
Bet they can't keep up the silence for more than a week.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| topi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 topi Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 22 May 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr.Everready |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr.Everready World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| lap_time |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 lap_time Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 19 May 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kaillum |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kaillum Nova Slayer
Joined: 17 Dec 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:47 - 26 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
drag the girlfriend around as many bikes shops as it takes to make her find a bike SHE loves.. worked with me..
took about 4 weeks til she saw the 54 RS125 she fell in love it!
went from 'Your not having a bike!!!' to 'hmmmm.. I could be riding one of those!!' and I got the bike I wanted to boot!!
well that and she went from the RS125 to a VFR800 in about 6 months as well.. but hey.. cant win em all
mother.. meh.. she'll come round eventually.. they all do |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| fernando |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 fernando L Plate Warrior
Joined: 25 May 2005 Karma : 
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| topi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 topi Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 22 May 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ian_s |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ian_s Nova Slayer
Joined: 20 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| epz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 epz Scooby Slapper
Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:58 - 27 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Do the accountant thing. Put the spin on a cost based analysis and you'll save xx amounts on car depreciation, fuel, parts, etc.
It's also your emergency transport backup.
best of luck
p.s. let's hear it for us munchkins  ____________________ ...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| krebsy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 krebsy World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:38 - 01 Jun 2005 Post subject: Same boat... |
 |
|
I was in exactly the same boat when I discussed bikes in the past, then my wife needed the only car we have to commute.
She suggested I get a 125, even after previously stating "you can't even ride your mountain bike safely.." (Broken elbow a few years back, a major smash at 40mph a few years prior to that.)
A 125 is not suitable for the dual carriageways around here, so after searching around (cost of bikes and insurance etc...) I found an xj600n for a grand, 174 quid insurance and it works out cheaper and more sensible to buy an entry level mid-range bike than to struggle on a "sewing machine" through the morning commute.  ____________________ What's my New Year's resolution?
1280 x 1024. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RooRoo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RooRoo Anal Intruder

Joined: 04 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| shellshock |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 shellshock Spanner Monkey

Joined: 25 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TOM M |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TOM M World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:31 - 01 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
me mum didnt want me to buy me rs125, the only time she knew i had one was when it was being unloaded out the van
i had the "im so dissapointed" routine but after a day or so everyone was fine n dandy ____________________ Now owner of a 1200 Bandit |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JodieWodie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JodieWodie Reflective Banana

Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:05 - 02 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well fernando, that is very sad.
I passed my CBT the week before my 31st birthday, and upon the very day I was 31 I took delivery of my brand new CG. (which I am selling in a few weeks for a very reasonable price !!)
You are at the age where you need something extra...a hobby..a life style.. something to motivate you and keep you going in your old age
Tell them you are having a mid-life crisis and it is either a bike or a mistress. Let them decide.
Seriously... I cannot understand partners trying to stop their other half doing things they really want. It is mean and cruel.
Go out, buy the bike, bring it home, and say are you REALLY going to leave me/disown because of this lump of metal ? If the answer is yes then they are daft. ____________________ Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow" |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mark_petty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mark_petty Brolly Dolly

Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:54 - 02 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I can totally understand how u feel and what your going through. I have managed to convince my gf that it is fine for me to ride a motorbike and if i'm sensible I will be fine.
My parents on the other hand are totally against it. I had a bad accident when I was younger on a moped which have put bad thoughts in there heads.
My parents aren't going to stop me as its my life and I don't live at home anymore. So i'm getting a bike very soon  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RooRoo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RooRoo Anal Intruder

Joined: 04 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Old Geeza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Old Geeza Back in my day...

Joined: 25 May 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:33 - 02 Jun 2005 Post subject: Re: Don't laugh! |
 |
|
| fernando wrote: | I have everything I need in place for buying my first bike - money, garage space, time etc. The problem is that, even at 31, given my fondness for going sideways in the car, both the girlfriend and my family have promised to stop speaking to me permanently if I buy so much as a moped and they're serious. Any hints/tips on persuasion? |
Seems to me your biggest problem is going to be proving your responsibility. You've already admitted your fondness for 'sliding' the car. Bikes do this so much better and easier, but usually with far more drastic consequences. I've got well over 10 years on your age and I've just bought my first bike (middle-age-madness, I think!), but I can't even ride it until I pass my test. I had no bad comments or snide remarks from ANYONE about my decision, mainly because, I think, everyone knows I'm a safe and considerate car driver, so those practices will also be used with my bike.
I agree with most other posted comments.. Just go ahead and buy it. It's your decision after all. But just make sure you ride it properly. If you come off it and survive within the first few months, then all you've done is given everyone who's against you now a damn good reason to say 'I TOLD YOU SO'. And you'll never hear the end of it! ____________________ Horse Power was safer when the Horses had it! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jamie192 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jamie192 Spanner Monkey

Joined: 18 Oct 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:28 - 21 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
bore them to death with motorbikes it worked with my mum, when i passed my cbt i said to my mum, im getting a bigger bike at 17, now she realised i am getting a biggetr bike at 17 weather she likes it or not, shes gone with it and is now encouraging me by saying she will lend me up to 8000 pound if i need it.
im hopefully getting a bike from the midlands and shes like yeah we will pay him to being it down and everything, they will come round eventually. and when ever she sees me riding i ride like an idiot, she must hate it but she knows what ever she trys isnt going to change, she offered me her car even lol, i think that was the decider. ____________________ Ride Fast, Brake hard, don't fall off! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jimster |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jimster Spanner Monkey

Joined: 16 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:21 - 21 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Slickfish |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Slickfish Crazy Courier

Joined: 24 May 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:30 - 21 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I was lucky enought not to have any of that!
Mate If i was you I'd get the bike!!!, they will come around, if the only reason is they dont like bikes get one dont let that stop you, if there are other issues like running cost etc. then well its your call. My advice buy it, love it, let them get over it!!!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| GreyHam |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 GreyHam Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 10 Jan 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|