|
|
| Author |
Message |
| mr jamez |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr jamez World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:39 - 29 May 2005 Post subject: Snapped chain |
 |
|
Went out for a nice ride earlier, was on my way back along the IDR in Reading, pulled away from the first set of lights and heard a rattling noise. Pulled away from the second, heard it again then BANG the bike stalled and I went all over the place, pulled over and started pushing. For those who know the road, it is pretty busy and has slip lanes coming from the left hand side (pretty much a dual carriage way type thing). Was pretty deadly, got beeped lots
Got through that and had a look, the engine is fucked Both left hand crank cases are smashed to bits and I am pretty sure that the gearbox is dead also. Just got back, sweating buckets, took me nearly 3 hours to push it home....bloody mobile phone packed up.
Ah well, at least it didn't throw me off. I checked the chain plenty of times and the bike mechanic who did my MOT said it was fine also.
Anybody got an NSR engine going cheap?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jonboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jonboy Trackday Trickster

Joined: 02 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 08:48 - 29 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thats sucks dude. How many miles had the chain done? Mines approaching the stretch limit and i'm getting kind of nervous  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr jamez |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr jamez World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:31 - 29 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
No idea how many miles it had done, too many obviously
https://img127.echo.cx/img127/8522/chain3tn.jpg
I guess I will find it what other damage their is when I split the crankcases, am expecting a bit of a mess in the gearbox department! I have a spare engine but I believe that has a good few problems of it's own. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:51 - 29 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just out of interest, where did the chain snap? Was it through a plate or the splitlink or did it pull apart? Just me being nosy and wondering if it was a failure of part of the chain rather than just wear.
From the condition of your front sprocket, I am surprised your chain snapped. Doesn't have the look of a sprocket that has had a buggered chain running over it. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr jamez |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr jamez World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:05 - 29 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I couldn't get to the chain, my first thoughts were to just get the hell off the road, it was laying right in the middle of where the roads all cross over. I wouldn't mind finding out why it snapped either, it was a splitlink chain, going for a riveted one next (piece of mind) as I really don't want this to happen a second time  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kingsknight |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kingsknight World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Jun 2003 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:05 - 30 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
you would'nt happen to have a spare starter motor on that other engine would which you would be willing to send me?? i know where you can get a good engine for £150 if you want the number? ____________________ TS50 (sold) NS125F (sold) NSR125R-K (write off after 2 crashes) CG125 (nicked) XR125L-3 (Sold )-: ) DR125SM '11 (sold yay) XL125V '12 (In love with this bike) XT600E '04 (fun on the dirt) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kingsknight |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kingsknight World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Jun 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Aikman666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Aikman666 World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Dec 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:12 - 30 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I dont understand how peoples chains snap so easily! My chain should have been replaced by now, but yet it still manages to climb trees without snapping....the climbing trees wasnt a speculation btw, im speaking from experience  ____________________ Will work for petrol
My Design Blog |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Going2fast |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Going2fast World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:21 - 30 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
That sucks dude, im sure you will be up and riding again soon on the NSR
Actually today changed my Chain and sprokets, it REALLY needed to be done. I had it on its tightest to just last, but this morning it was soo loose it was hitting the pipe work on the exhaust. So got off my ass and actually had the Rental kit fitted. Feels and goes like buggery now
Andy ____________________ Passed My Test 15/03/05
BikePics Profile ||| 96' RVF 400 ||| 01' CBR 600 F Sport ||| 2009 Yamaha YZF-R6 Delivered 23/06/09
/-\ndy |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kingsknight |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kingsknight World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Jun 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr jamez |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr jamez World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:14 - 30 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I am just expecting the worst really, it doesn't feel too good, can't get it into neutral or first. Expecting a bent output shaft, already have a dead pickup coil from the shrapnel! Just look at 'wildgooses' thread to see how much damage a snapped chain can do....
Started the dismantling today, just need to get the flywheel off and I can split the crank cases. Will probably post some photos up of what I find.
If you have any doubt about what condition the chain is in get it looked at, £30 for a chain or 100's on engine repairs  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pipnet11 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pipnet11 Brolly Dolly

Joined: 17 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:07 - 30 May 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Nasty I have to agree with Stinkwheel though, that sprocket looks hardly used. I havnt had a chain snap on me yet but theres plenty of time yet..... Hope you get going again soon. Can you not make one good engine out of your two nackered ones? ____________________ I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mr jamez |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mr jamez World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|