Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Summer boots or All-Season?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:36 - 30 May 2005    Post subject: Summer boots or All-Season? Reply with quote

Alright, this is more for the practical usage then the styling. I commute by bike, about 150 miles a week, and that's during the winter and the summer.

Having read many copies of RiDE and tried them on in J&S, I've decided that the two choices of boot are as follows:

Sidi Vertigos or Alpinestars GPS-3.

Before anybody says anything, I tried on some SMXs and they felt horrible to me. Vertebraes were quite nice as well.

So what I want to know is which is better for protection, waterproofing, warmth and coolth. Such as how good are the Sidi's at keeping the tootsies snug and dry. I'd prefer the Sidi's in all honesty but if they're gonna end up soaked most days, is there much point?

Any help would be great
Cheers
R
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:03 - 30 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not much clue about the benefits of any specific boot, but surely the all season boot makes the most sense? You'll only get rained on and get wet feet with the summer boots, and you obviously don't particularly want to be wearing them in the winter.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:19 - 30 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear a pair of Oxtar TCS Sport Goretex boots all year round - never suffered with feet being too warm of too cold yet, they're waterproof and the armour works well too Thumbs Up
____________________
Power Ranger Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shamrock
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 30 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite what you said Mantzy, you should reconsider the SMX's.

Ive never worn the Sidi or GPS boots however ive have had a pair of SMX's for the last 2 years. I wear them everyday for commuting to work and college in rain, sun, and snow.
Now I dont have the goretex ones but ive never had water penetrate my boot. I dont get it either!
They are super-comfy too and you can walk around in them easily, although mine squeak some. Embarassed

I still see journalists wearing them in bike mags even though alpinestar have "better" and newer boots, i.e. more expensive.
Obviously the SMX is a trusted favourite.

Its impressed me that much that id be pushed not to buy the same boot again!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:39 - 30 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamrock wrote:
...you should reconsider the SMX's


They didn't feel right on my feet, and you can't wear a boot that doesn't feel right.

The Oxtars are up there with the other two but I don't know. I like the Sidi's. I just really need to know how badly they do leak. If they can stop a shower than that's fine. If they can't even do that then they may have to wait till I have some spare cash about and I get a boot that will be dry.

Cheers
R
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.76 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 45.09 Kb