Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Retail therapy!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:58 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Retail therapy! Reply with quote

<<Please note, this post has very little point, so only read if you're very bored, as I was when I wrote it>>

Been generally feeling a bit depressed recently.
Racing hasn't massively cheered me up; hasn't made me feel down, but if I'd actually consistantly ridden well It would have probably got me into a better mood. Rather unfortunately I had just sold my two DR600s and had a wad of cash in my back pocket. Add in money owed from bills/rent and we're talking around £1k (even though this is money I've actually already spent).


A while ago I had been looking at a cb350 - I wanted a bike to get me to and from work to replace my DR600. Ideally with electric start so I could fit a cheap fancy-pants alarm with remote start (so that I can warm the bike up while still at work - it seems more annoying waiting five minutes for the bike to warm up when it can take less than that to get home.) The idea was something fairly simple and easy to work on that should be relatively reliable.

Mentioning the cb350 on IRC got a torrent of abuse; too heavy/slow, etc etc. While I didn't see these objections as really relevant to my needs, I took them in anyway (peer pressure, eh).

For a few weeks I've continued to look (adtrader the day it comes out etc) for 'bargain' bikes; stull like 500s (cb, gpz etc etc) and anything else that looks like a good deal. As we've got a dead Bros sitting on the drive way, one of them tempted me; also it didn't help that I knew an ok condition would wheely acceptably. However all the half decent condition BROS's seemed to be going for lots of money; 30,000 miles for £800 and more often.

I see a TRX850 on ebay (only 200cc more than the BROS after all Smile ) for a pretty cheap price. It's got a nose fairing held on by gaffa tape, but that doesn't bother me and otherwise seems in pretty good condition. Has about 30,000 miles if I remember, but got proof of servicing etc. I email the bloke with my 'standard' questionaire; basically asking questions about all the
things I would check in person - that way if there's any problems I can quite reasonably refuse to buy it as it's 'not as described'.

I bid on the bike, but have to bid early rather than serious sniping as my connection's playing up and occasionaly disconnecting.

The previous bidder outbids my bid of £1111.11 (which is more than I can afford really, but then there are 'ok' condition bikes of a similar mileage on adtrader for £1800!)

So continue looking for any 'bargain' bikes I can find. Anything from a klx250 (also tempted by a dirt bike) to a FZR1000.

Now we get to the bad bit: it's Sunday afternoon and I've moped about all weekend, hardly got anything done, going shopping for a new front door and coming back with a Mr Whippy with strawberry sauce was about the biggest achievment. So sat at my computer on Sunday afternoon, should be doing other stuff, but being generally crap.

I do everything I completely advise against.
(A) Don't buy a bike on ebay (or anywhere) unless you've seen it first.

(B) If (A) is not possible, send a detailed questionaire to insure that it meets your standards and can be 'rejected' if not.

I see another TRX is fairly cheap still; looks in good condition, but no nose fairing. Buyer will put MOT on if it meets reserve.

It's had a top end rebuild 800 miles ago, with recipts, so technically should be in good condition.

I umm and arr about it, but it's ending quite shortly and the inevtible happens when I've got the possiblity of a new toy - I prepare for a last minute sniping bid. Put a bid of £20 over the current bid to make sure everything's working, then get it lined up in my sights. With about 20 seconds to go I start to make the bid, completing at 8 seconds. I bid £1111.11 again - more because I like the number than it's a good value to bid Neutral.

With 8 seconds to go the price gets pushed up to £930, but no one else comes in, in those last few seconds.

Now I wonder if it's a good idea.


I email reply to the seller, stating that I want the promised MOT; apparantly not a problem.


Picked it up last night; the van did suprisingly well, now a bit emptier than normal. Reading to Dartford and back in three and a half hours; including stopping at a services for some food and a cash machine, then doing all the paperwork for the bike, chatting about trackdays and racing etc as well as loading and securing the bike. An interesting (or not) coincidence - the bike was in the village of 'bean'
- where we also collected Luke's track VFR from a couple of months ago.

At least I got a couple of days of new-toy excitement before picking it up, that I don't customarily get these days Smile.

Rode it today and generally seems to be ok, maybe not quite in an MOT-able state, but good enough to ride for until I kill it - whether it lasts long enough for the next MOT is questionable going by my previous record Confused. If there were any not too serious problems there's not much I could reasonably do, morraly at least, and I realised this when I bid. THe seller had also been contacted by someone with a fairing for sale in the right colour, they want £100, including the screen (though I already have one). Not too bad a deal as they are quite rare. With that, this bike's going to be similar to those advertised for £2k or so in adtrader / biketrader.


If I was buying for an 'only' vehicle, I'd have definitely been a lot more careful. However as I do have other means of getting around and it seems to be a pretty good price for what I'm getting, I'm happy that I at least shouldn't lose too much when it blows up next week Smile.

I'd have probably also made a slightly wiser choice of vehicle; though the TRX is quite 'bland' in comparison to my other bikes and has a modertely comfortable seating position. The tarty side of me quite likes it's retro ducati-esque looks as well when it's got it's full compliment of fairing Smile.


Pic from the add:
https://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/34/87/62_1_b.JPG
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zero-G
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 10 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying things is never the solution to problem's. But who cares when you have a new toy to play with Very Happy

Always fancied one of them, like the trellis frame. Sound nice as well. Thumbs Up
____________________
When A Man Loves A Chicken
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gracie Jones
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one G.

That looks really cool without fairing IMO. Streetfighter it.

That is loads better than getting a bros or whatever. I've never ridden one, but I reckon the TRX must be underated. Duke sporty-ish twin thing plus reliability, plus comfortable plus affordable plus cool retro mad max looking.

Well done. Why are you down?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RobB
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:13 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great without the fairing, and in blue. A mate of mine had a red one for years, and absolutely loved it. I only rode it once, when the engine was going wrong and he wanted a second opinion before he took it to a garage. When I took it out, despite having to listen for noises and strange feelings, I thought the handling on it was absolutely superb. All in all, nice purchase matey. Enjoy Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin



Joined: 01 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you said twins were shit? Wink
____________________
3516 Miles, 11 Countries
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tater
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 08 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:54 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good deal G, looks tidy from the pic. I think you should street fighter it as it would look cool, i dont like the trx fairings Sick
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could always get the new fairing and sell it on in a month or so before you get a chance to kill it. Thinking

G? Profit on a bike? With his reputation? Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tasting a R1 frong fairing on that bike Very Happy. It's a good choice!
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:35 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I saw you getting outbid on a trx, G. Didn't you? I was after the grey/purple trx on ebay at the same time.... It went up to high and I couldn't afford it at the time, totally gutted.your ebay id does have "-"'s and "*"'s in it doesn't it?

I've since moved my plans to a sv650, was really let down by not winning that auction for the trx. Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get outbid on one, but sharpened my sniping skills for the next one Smile.

Not sure if there'll be any close to you, but there was some ok deals (as well as some crap deals) on adtrader.:

Korn:
They are for 'fun'. Thus I got one as a 'boring' get to work style bike; something to get instead of a souped-up superdream Smile.


Quote:
Duke sporty-ish twin thing plus reliability, plus comfortable plus affordable plus cool retro mad max looking.

Well done. Why are you down?

Not sure about reliablity.
It has got a slightly odd rattle at some rpm; but I'm told that they do have odd rattles by default.
and..
Life in general.

R1 fairing;
Already got an r6, ta (and spare road fairings), quite like the 'retro' look of the original though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian



Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:25 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Your still depressed? Thought racing would have made you better than you sound Sad.

Have you ever thought of proper "help" seeing a shrink etc?

I know it sound fruity, ive never been to see one so have no 1st person knowledge, but i cant see why it would hurt?

Anyone here saught professional help?

then theres always the drugs, you like drugs dont ya G (przac)

As for the bike, looks kewl never really heard/seen one of them before, can i have a go? how does it wheelie?

If you get too depressed can i have all your stuff Smile

Luke
____________________
Flounced - Long overdue
Fuck you bitch I'm in the top 10 list I can do the what the fuck I want!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried Prozak many years ago, didn't like it.

Bike will keep me happy for a week or two hoepfully Smile.

It's a twin, so a bit lazy power delivery; needs the clutch really, but comes up ok with it.


Quote:
FOR SALE
YAMAHA TRX 850, N reg. 16000 miles, excellent condition, taxed & tested, Carbon Exhausts,. £1,500. - (atb-24-1309) Tel: (07092) 428275

There's still some good deals around - you'd be looking at an extra 10k miles on an SV for that sorta money.
The TRX does at least have a decent lump of midrange to make up for it's missing top end Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:09 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrible things, yuck, euck.

My first blade had a bottom end rebuild, so technically it should've been ok...that lasted 800 miles.

So good luck Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jonboy
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 02 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:16 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do with it what this guy on VD did, I think it looks fookin ace (is that a benelli faring on there?) :

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/mick24/Trx8501.jpg

Or do what this guy did with an old shonker - again, very nice result:

https://www.ridersite.ws/bb/viewtopic.php?t=22371
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

satans_BIG_helper
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:21 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G you absolute fucker Laughing i was looking at that one it was a bit too far for me to pick it up tho.....

should you come to sell it in the future running or not running please get in touch with me Question .....

Fucking awesome choice of bike... set of renegade pipes and it will be awesome.... enjoy it mate top class bike !!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:45 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a recent GSXR headlight by the way.
Got a 'propper' fairing coming for £75 hopefully.

satans_BIG_helper wrote:

Fucking awesome choice of bike... set of renegade pipes and it will be awesome.... enjoy it mate top class bike !!!!


The sound is a bit 'muffled' compared to open pipes.
So far it's proving to be exactly what I hoped for from a twin Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 116 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.54 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 96.79 Kb