 MotorMAD Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 13 Jan 2004 Karma :   
|
|
 fuzz World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Mar 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:59 - 09 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
The amount of braking force applied has so many factors: Weight, rubber, disc size, caliper/piton type, pad type, brake fluid (new/old.)
Generally speaking, larger capacity machines have better brakes to cope with the extra weight/performance - this is evident with me when I tried riding my NSR after having the SV for a week. It felt like the brakes had completely failed when I pressed the lever - but the other factors need to be considered as they all play a part in how quickly they can stop the bike at a given speed. ____________________ https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800 |
|
 Type_Mo World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:00 - 09 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Whats the condition of the pads?
I got 1 pot brembo's on the front of my Typhoon 50  ____________________ - Typhoon ?0 - Yamaha DT125R - Aprilia SR125 - Yamaha DT125R - Honda Hornet 600 - |
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:02 - 09 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think weight would be a significant factor. The lighter an object, the less effort it takes to slow it down.
A 50cc sports bike with a single hydraulic disc brake is going to pull up a lot more quickly than a much heavier bike with a similar setup. Chances are the brakes themselves on your friends bike are more efficient than yours, they are just doing a lot more work.
I would also suspect that if he only ever rode his bike at 30mph, pulling the brake on hard would feel like hitting a brick wall, equally, if you managed to get your 50 doing 70mph, the brakes would seem a lot less effective. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|