Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tick tock, tick tock...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 15 Jun 2005    Post subject: Tick tock, tick tock... Reply with quote

Bought a bike with a dubious history...S reg Hornet, scuffed on just about every side but still looks very tidy. £1400

Rode well on the test ride, inspection went well, bought today, got it home (60 miles), everything was hunky dorey until I gave pops a shot. Up and down the drive he went, just the once, and then parked it up in the garage. And then it splurted out a big puddle of 'blue stuff'...Typical eh, dad's break everything. Wink Seems to have been spat out from the drain pipe from the coolant thingy. Engine/oil(whatever that gauge indicates) temperature was rising and he turned it off about half way up. Ride home on the motorway was only at one little notch on the gauge and then that happens for some reason Confused

Let the tidying/fixing begin....

P.S Yes, the colours are.....hmm...just hmm
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 15 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks nice! Hope it turns out not to be a time bomb!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:07 - 15 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same headlights as I've got, looks like a nice little bike there!

And sorry to say it, but the files get overwritten on filename, not the description that you've changed.

And you've got a fairly common filename too.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 15 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you finaly bought something. Looks nice

Well I know what its like, I bought a bike recently and I had to buy a new chain straight away. Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:18 - 15 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chain needed replacing??

I had honestly been told it was in great nick and the sprockets had a good few thousand more on them! I was under the impression they had too, by my own judgement. Sad Is the er5 okay now though? Still awaiting on this datatag stuff to come in so I can forward it to you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:30 - 15 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nahh don't worry.

My mates cousin is a motorbike mechanic and he gave me the doom and gloom about it and got me worried, i'd have probably been okay for a while. (Saying that he's a BMW / Something bitsu mechanic and there all shaft).

No it had a dodgy link in it and when you moved it round the slack wasn't consistent. I did the sprockets as well, just to be sure.

I also managed to drop her it yesterday, don't worry its not damaged at all, I slipped, putting it on centre stand as it was wet. I managed to hold on to it and lower it down, so nothing at all. Phew.

Just need to look at getting valve clearances done now as well in to 15K.

Also when was oil last changed, i've not touched that yet.

Cheers.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:14 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good apart from the Blue wheels. Sick Razz
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:20 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondeokid wrote:
Also when was oil last changed, i've not touched that yet.


About 500 miles before I handed it over to you, so it's got plenty of life left. Filter was changed at the same time. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

swaffs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:18 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the joys of selling to friends/family/ fellow forum members......

sorry to carry on the O.T. conversation
____________________
Swaffs Photography |
BCF vinyl stickers
"Look not back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around you in awareness."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:35 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

No need to apologise mate. I wish every bike was as reliable as that er5...Sad

Anyways, anyone got any opinions on what exhaust should replace the standard one? Very Happy Dr nicks leo vince one sounded lovely...supposed it just depends on what comes up on ebay...Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil



Joined: 02 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:25 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bike Thumbs Up Shame bout the lights and blue wheels Sick
The stuff coming out was prob jsut overflow from the coolent, bike gets hot, coolent expands, if the last owner had jsut replaced it he may have added a bit to much.
Another Hooner on bcf Dance!
J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheels are a near definete "thing to change" on my list of to do's, but getting it up to scratch mechanical wise is my main 'to do'

Might even just keep the blue wheels....certainly are distinctive anyway!! Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DynaMight
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:06 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice, I dont actually mind the wheels to much.

I think Micron are the cans all the bikes use in the Hornet Cup, So maybe a good place to start.

Headlights are great too, Twins own singles.
____________________
My bikes are at https://www.bikepics.com/members/dynamight/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 17 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I'm quite a big hornet fan. Thumbs Up Like Jon said, not too keen on the blue wheel - red bike combo though. Have to say I'm surprised I thought you were set on an SV.

(On a related note I'm having the same luck as you. Picked up the SV and rode it home last night, felt fine all the way. This morning, won't start. Dead battery. He'd barely ridden it for months so I'm not surprised. Wonder if the optimate will be able to work its magic... Confused)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:32 - 17 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, let me know how the sv works out for you. Smile Did want one, and still do, just to own a v-twin really. But maybe when I can afford two bikes.

To be perfectly, honest, the blue wheels grow on you when you're around it. Don't know what it is about them...might get them done black but they don't bother me anymore.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 17 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I can imagine they do grow on you, I've noticed that with quite a few bikes and paintjobs really. With any luck it's just a battery problem on the SV and the optimate's now saying it's charged ok so will leave it on overnight and hopefully it was just a symptom of lack of use. Tbh I'm expecting to at least have to fork out for a new battery. Hopefully your prob's not too nasty either. Confused

Bikes eh! Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 17 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a Hornet fan. Was thinking about one for my next bike, but if I can't find one for under 1300 then I won't bother as they seem to keep their value very well. Looks nice apart from the blue wheels. Also when running properly, it sure won't be short of power. Quite quick bikes from what I know of. Much better performance wise compared to the SV anyway. Good choice and have fun fixing her up. Smile
____________________
Honda MBX50 | Yamaha RD125LC | Suzuki RG125F Lucky Strike | Suzuki GSF600S
RD125LC Pictures
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

paulodd
Crazy Courier



Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 17 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad there greg. I must ask where did you get that number plate? it looks great Laughing Look at it this way, its a nice little project for you. Razz
____________________
Paul
1999 Yamaha R6
www.coventrybikers.co.uk / www.norfolkriders.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:23 - 18 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah....project bike is exactly what it shall be, in lightish terms. Not really a project, more just a COMPLETE check that everything is okay with it, except from fiddling with engine internals and stuff like wheel bearings where my knowledge/experience is close to "f*ck all".

Took off the tank, tail unit, under tray, hugger, lights, handlebar controls, removed and cleaned the cooling system(radiator off it jsut now), lubed every cable under the sun. Now just a frame, engine and wheels and wd40. Laughing Still got to test the thermostat and fuses and what not, I hear those things affect the coolant temperature or soemthing or other - which is what I was having problems with.

Considering just taking the engine out and stripping it. Probably unnecessary but would be educational and keeps me busy. Don't really have any history with this bike so I wouldn't mind finding out what condition it's in, inside.

Plate can stay as it is, not really bothered about stuff like that. Wink Hornet sure isn't short on power. Having gone up from the er5, the power seems incredible. Need a grippy seat to stay on the thing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:58 - 18 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly has potential. Looks great in red, only as everyone else has said, doesnt suit the blue wheels. Get them coated in black and it'll be one very nice machine. Thumbs Up

Good luck stripping the engine, just remember where everything goes! Laughing

Enjoy it, ride safe greggs. Smile
____________________
Aprilia RSV Mille R Edwards Replica - Aprilia RS250 - Suzuki GSXR600 Supersport Race Bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

paulodd
Crazy Courier



Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:55 - 19 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have a petrol gauge that works? Laughing
____________________
Paul
1999 Yamaha R6
www.coventrybikers.co.uk / www.norfolkriders.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 19 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, but I know when to fill up, once I've been out on it for 4 mins, 35s....Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 111 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.4 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 115.74 Kb