Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


rs250 vs 400 for weekend country lanes - how wd they compare

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 30 Jun 2005    Post subject: rs250 vs 400 for weekend country lanes - how wd they compare Reply with quote

I might get a new bike if i pass my test.

I will test ride some but id like ppl who have ridden both rs250 and 400's to tell me how they compare.

i know fuel economy on rs250 wd be crap so id probably have to have something else to use in the week.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:03 - 30 Jun 2005    Post subject: Re: rs250 vs 400 for weekend country lanes - how wd they com Reply with quote

I would go for the rs250 - infact i did!

It really has to be revved and kept at the right revs, but is very rewarding when you get it right.

It's a bit easier to keep in that sweet spot than other 2 strokes I've ridden. It also weighs 20kgs or so less than the 400s, while it doesn't feel that much lighter, you can tell it's had a few less pies.


I would only get one as a second bike though; not very good for day to day stuff.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:23 - 30 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only get one if your willing to get your hands dirty every so often. I'm like that, I would quite happily have a 2 stroke as an everyday bike. Wait, I have 2. Very Happy
____________________
Honda MBX50 | Yamaha RD125LC | Suzuki RG125F Lucky Strike | Suzuki GSF600S
RD125LC Pictures
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 30 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh|RD125LC wrote:
I'm like that, I would quite happily have a 2 stroke as an everyday bike. Wait, I have 2. Very Happy

The rs250 isn't a great bike for riding everyday; the seating position puts a lot of weight onto your wrists and doesn't give great visibility behind. The engine wants to be thrashed and doesn't perform great if it's not.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:27 - 30 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I suppose if you do do a lot of commuting, then the riding position isn't going to do your back any justice is it. Sitting on my RG, it does feel like it would get uncomfortable after a while. Thats why I'm looking at CB500's, for a better more upright seating position, and apparently they aren't too bad around the twisties either. Keeping one of my 125's though, most likely keep the RD, as its going to be worth more in the long run.
____________________
Honda MBX50 | Yamaha RD125LC | Suzuki RG125F Lucky Strike | Suzuki GSF600S
RD125LC Pictures
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:16 - 01 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using my rs125 for commuting which is pretty much the same rider position. It only got uncomfy for me after 2-3hours on a long journey. Im unlikely to ever commute longer than an hour.

I wouldnt want to use the rs250 for commuting because it drinks petrol and like my rs125 it doesnt have much pull at low revs so each time you stop and have to pull away again is not good.

i am trying to justify having two bikes. one for comfy long distance and commuting and another for fun twisty rides but unless i find some better insurance deals, i'd be better off with an allrounder like the cb500 or sv650.

Im not commuting at the moment so i could get the rs250 now and worry about a commuter later.

Im determined not to buy the first bike i see this time tho.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:28 - 01 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:

I wouldnt want to use the rs250 for commuting because it drinks petrol and like my rs125 it doesnt have much pull at low revs so each time you stop and have to pull away again is not good.

Despite the fact the 250 probably has more power out of the power band than the 125 does in it, it actually feels a lot worse.

Because there's a bigger and quicker jump in power, it feels like it's a lot worse out of the powerband, this is another factor contributing to it not being a great town bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 01 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thats why I'm looking at CB500's


josh are u actually riding any of these bikes yet? a far as i've gathered so far you have 2 125 you can't ride yet and your now talking about a cb500. What ya gonna do with 2 125s anyway? don't take offence to this bit i'm just pretty confused. ur 16 aren't u?
____________________
LOOK AT DAT M8 WELL LUSH A PARROT INT IT
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian



Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 01 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Hmm about the same, but you can be more lazy on the 400

Luke
____________________
Flounced - Long overdue
Fuck you bitch I'm in the top 10 list I can do the what the fuck I want!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 01 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been getting a few more insurance quote on different bikes and its looking diffiicult to justify getting an rs250 and a commuter when i can have a zxr400 or a sv650 for not much more than my rs125.

some 400 sports bikes were pricey but the zxr400 insurance was v cheap

im thinking about a fazer again, but im still gonna test ride this rs250 even just because it would be light enough for me to lift into the back garden.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 01 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

quik_d wrote:
josh are u actually riding any of these bikes yet? a far as i've gathered so far you have 2 125 you can't ride yet and your now talking about a cb500. What ya gonna do with 2 125s anyway? don't take offence to this bit i'm just pretty confused. ur 16 aren't u?


I'm planning ahead mate. I like to know what I'm after before I actually buy anything. I'm one of these lads that like to own the bike even before it can be ridden, if you get what I mean. I had my 50 four months before I could ride it, I got my RD125 in March and got my RG in April. And I'm not 17 til August. Cool
____________________
Honda MBX50 | Yamaha RD125LC | Suzuki RG125F Lucky Strike | Suzuki GSF600S
RD125LC Pictures
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 01 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

quik_d, is that a CB-1 in your avatar?
____________________
Honda MBX50 | Yamaha RD125LC | Suzuki RG125F Lucky Strike | Suzuki GSF600S
RD125LC Pictures
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nick.h
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 01 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a Honda Bros.

Nick
____________________
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:57 - 02 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

great news !
motorcycle direct (0870 241 0400) will cover me for rs250 and cmx 250 (commuter) for the same price as cover for the rs250 alone ! (£236) the policy is actually with norwich as motorcycle direct are a broker,

all i need to do now is pass my test, do a few test rides to makes sure these bikes are good for me and there arent others id prefer.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 95 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.52 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 83.12 Kb