Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another "What Bike?" Thread *yawn* sports tourer?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Another "What Bike?" Thread *yawn* sports tourer? Reply with quote

So i passed my test in May and got a 400 Bandit as my first 'big' bike but i'm used to and rather bored of the power already and although i can't get my knee down i think i'm fairly alright at throwing it around. So now that i've had my practise on a bigger heavier bike than 125's i want something that'll suit my needs more..

I want more power, about 80bhp or more
I want something that's comfortable for long journeys
I want something that's somewhat pillion friendly
I want something with good(ish) weather protection i.e. fairings
I want something that's not too big (maybe a 600,750 or 800)
I want something atleast mid 90's or newer.
I want something that i can still throw about a bit occassionally (bearing in mind i'm not a speed demon).

So really i'd be looking at a sports tourer? anyone got any good advice on what would be a good option for that sort of money?

i was thinking VFR750, ZZR600, could maybe stretch to a VFR800 as i really like them..

What about the Thundercat? i know it's a sports bike but looks a bit more easy going than your usual ones.

p.s. if anyone has anything or would like to p/x for a 400 bandit let me know.

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge Thundercat/Thunderace fan!! I don't think you can go far wrong with them. Look the bollocks, perform well and comfortable to ride!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 14:08 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid 90's VFR750, probably the finest VFR Sports Tourers you can buy. Would do everything you want and more plus go for very good money. One of the finest bikes ever made, still look good too.

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/vfr750.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 14:11 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer, SV650, Bandit 600?

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 14:24 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Mid 90's VFR750, probably the finest VFR Sports Tourers you can buy. Would do everything you want and more plus go for very good money. One of the finest bikes ever made, still look good too.

if you got for a VFR, make sure you get a late model, pre-vtec engine.. more power.. less servicing costs.

a

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
Fazer, SV650, Bandit 600?

i'm really looking for a fully faired model, i'm not too keen on the half-faired options like te bandit and fazer etc..

I'm definitely swayed towards the VFR's, late 90's, but i'm just wondering which is considered better the 750 or 800?

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 14:32 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeV6 wrote:

I'm definitely swayed towards the VFR's, late 90's, but i'm just wondering which is considered better the 750 or 800?

later model 750, before they started using the Vtec engine is considerd the best Value for Money.

Servicing costs on the Vtec are scary!

unfortunately I don't know when, exactly, they made the switch

a

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 14:36 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first V-tecs came in in 2002???

The 800s are good, but personally I believe that they lost a bit of character from the 750s (which stopped around 98 (sorry, just guessing a bit here - take a look on biketrader for a better idea)). I would have thought the 750s would be cheaper as well, to run, maintain and insure. (More parts, more second hand parts, cheaper bike, cheaper insurance premiums...)

The late model 750s would be the ones for me, they've still got a bit of that RC45 relation with them as well, hmmm, wonder how many parts are interchangeable....

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

they had FI 800's before the VTEC 800 came out in 2001 or whatever year it was, just been reading the difference between the 750 carbed and the 800 FI'd bikes so i'll have a gander on Ebay see what they're going for etc..

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki GSX750F/GSX600F, preferably a post-98 if you can stand the "jellymould" styling.

The only people who don't like them are people who've never had one.

Hmm, that's most people, then...

https://www.pardi.hu/img/gal-suzuki-gsx750f-1.jpg

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get on of these you won't ever need another bike. Wink

https://www.moto-station.com/uploads/34_normal.jpg

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:41 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finglonga wrote:
Get on of these you won't ever need another bike. Wink

https://www.moto-station.com/uploads/34_normal.jpg

Should have gone to Spec Savers Rolling Eyes

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gsx750f's styling doesn't do much for me, a bit too rounded and i'm not particular to that sort of bubbly styling. The Beemers a nice bike but not quite what i'm looking for.

The VFR750 is ok but i prefer the look of the 800 and as a bike i plan to keep long-term i think i've made my mind up.. plus i'm a bit biased towards Honda..

always liked the VFR's, too, so i'll have a look in the paper etc see if i can find one, atleast get a good look and sit on one before i commit myself to one.

The#Doctor#
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:07 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR600F ? Very Happy

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've narrowed my next bike down to be either a GSXF 750 or a VFR.
Anyone know of ones going cheap in North Yorks, please let me know. Smile
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The#Doctor# wrote:
CBR600F ? Very Happy

*drool* never thought about that.. hmm, very very tempted! Twisted Evil

The#Doctor#
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:30 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeV6 wrote:
The#Doctor# wrote:
CBR600F ? Very Happy

*drool* never thought about that.. hmm, very very tempted! Twisted Evil

Got mine only 6 weeks ago does everything that you have stated, more than 80hp, good pillion, comfortabale, good fairing and as long as you get one of the aluminium frame models '99 + they are very flickable and plenty fast enough, have had mine to 130mph yesterday with alot still to go and you can pick up a very clean Fx/Fy model for about £3000 (F4 btw) thats the one that me and my brother both have Cool Cool
https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/GuyMiller/cbr600fx.jpg

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've decided even after toying with the idea of getting cbr600fv's, gsxr600's etc the VFR800 is the one for me!

https://www.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr/specs/pics/99-vfr800-corbin-hiright.jpg

splendid and does the job!

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:56 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thundercat and the CBR600F sound about right for what your looking for. Sporty yet still good for touring Very Happy

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see how the cbr would be good for touring when it has such diabollical tank range (if it's anything like the hornet).....steer clear of 100 mile tank range bikes.

How about an older ninja? Fast enough for the majority of folk to handle yet is talked about as the best tourer out of the main 600's (sportsbikes anyway) Good mpg too!!! 130 -170+ miles to the tank (someone got 200 miles to a tank in bike magazine)

Project9928
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:09 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can't see how the cbr would be good for touring when it has such diabollical tank range (if it's anything like the hornet).....steer clear of 100 mile tank range bikes.

Hey I got 130 miles out of my F-sport and that was giving it some stick on the twisties so Razz Also its had a good run up to Scotland and Back, but was stopping at the services every 60-80 miles because of a paranoid friend on an SV lol.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a VFR750, because i have always, always wanted one, since i was about 16. When the opportunity came, i was literally powerless to resist.

Now its sitting in my mothers garage, waiting for me to pass my test (Monday hopefully). I keep going over there just to start it up and listen. Its very sad.....

I cant really advise on other sports tourers (or even the VFR yet!), there was never a choice for me!

As far as the performance and fuel economy of the VFR, so far i know that it did about 190 miles on a tank (Zaphod riding it back to Wales for me), and he took me out on the back of it and did 130 with a gear left to go.

And when i briefly tried it on the industrial estate, the engine scared the hell out of me, but everything else was totally reassuring, natural and comfy, instantly at home.

Zen Dog

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:45 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if you needed any further persuasion...

I own a 2001 VFR800 (non v-tec). I got it so the missus would be comfy.

The GOOD
- 200 miles per tank (I got 251 after motorway cruising @80mph)
- Comfy for 500 mile days, consecutively (I found no problems)
- mines done 55k miles now and all its needed is 8k services and an new rectifier (faulty batch, replaced free by Honda).
- Never left me stranded.
- Very strong bikes (3 accidents, no real problems - plastic and headlamp cost a bit though).
- Drives very nicely, looks after you a bit, doesn't flip out, but still easy to grind the pegs.
- Comfy for pillions (700 miles in 2 day, pillion was happy)
- Good torque, so not bad in town.

The BAD
- Expensive 16k services (£350)
- Not as sporty as other 700-800cc bikes
- Hard luggage can destabilize the bike (nothing major, just a little off-putting).
- They are not cheap compared to similar bikes.
- Can be a bit heavy (208kg dry?) Keep it rubber side down.
- Old man image (if you worry about image, get a osteopath and a sports 600)

Last edited by natv4 on 01:54 - 06 Jul 2005; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:51 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add, if you want/need it will happily sit at 130 in relative comfort all day. Gets to about 155 indicated. Though I don't really see that as being particularly useful in this country.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 299 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1