Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


am i responsible for someone on my bike ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:37 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: am i responsible for someone on my bike ? Reply with quote

I went to a pub frequented by young boy racers wo smoke a bit of weed in the car park and one told me he had had ago on a 400. He said this guy was selling it so he went for a test ride on it and the police started chasing him but couldnt keep up (he hit 120mph). I think he said he lost them in traffic. He then returned the 400 to its owner and said he didnt wanna buy it.

This may be true or it could be untrue.

What I am interested in is if i allow someone to test ride my bike and they commit offenses, if i tell police that i was not riding the bike will that be the end of it or will i be resposible for the idiots offenses ?

The other side to that is if i commit an offense and then claim it was someone else on my bike doing a test ride does that mean they cannot charge me ?
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

strag
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:44 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like they smoke to much weed! You are not responsible for their traffic offeces but would be liable, afaik, to ensure they are licensed and insured to ride the bike. They would have to prove who the rider was and if they proved it was you, you may get a charge of perverting the course of justice.
____________________
carbon bling
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:28 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get done if you knowingly let them ride your bike un-insured, that's an offence.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RS125_Tecky
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:01 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

its called aidding and betting....which is what you will get done for if you let someone ride your bike knowing they haven't got a license and insurance etc.
____________________
2004 ZX6R B1H
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:44 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is it that all boy racers insist they also know how to ride a bike? they stink of chav bullshit.

So, if you let somone test ride your bike, what do you do? how do you make it fully legal?
____________________
"he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"- Dr. Johnson
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

strag
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:00 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

acer wrote:
ensure they are licensed and insured to ride the bike.

____________________
carbon bling
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:26 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might just be my kind of snobbery, but I wouldn't let anyone ride/test ride my bike if I didn't believe they could handle it or were going to ride it badly. That applies to both people I know, and people I don't.

Sounds weird, but even if I was to put my bike up for a test ride, I wouldn't let a tester ride it without me present. If they wanted to see what the bike was like, I'd give them a spare lid and let them ride pillion.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

paulthewitt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:45 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It might just be my kind of snobbery, but I wouldn't let anyone ride/test ride my bike if I didn't believe they could handle it or were going to ride it badly. That applies to both people I know, and people I don't.


sounds sensible to me!

Quote:
Sounds weird, but even if I was to put my bike up for a test ride, I wouldn't let a tester ride it without me present. If they wanted to see what the bike was like, I'd give them a spare lid and let them ride pillion.


or altenatively they give the full cost of the bike as a deposit for if they bin it.

Paul
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if i want my insurance company to cover me for bikes i might want to test ride what do i ask for ? do any of you have this ? does it cost a lot ?
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cover to ride bikes that I don't own on my policy - I didn't have to ask for it. Some policy's include it and some don't.
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take it out for a test run and providing you ride it half sensibly (not checking how hard it will go in 2nd when you've just turned out of the owners estate) you shouldn't get pulled over.
____________________
Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

impaler
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
I have cover to ride bikes that I don't own on my policy - I didn't have to ask for it. Some policy's include it and some don't.


It's generally only third party cover though so if you damage the bike you're up the creek...
____________________
Monster m600
Web, blog, Bikepics page
An optimist will tell you the glass is half full. The pessimist, half empty. The engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took out insurance to test ride my mates R1, and I couldn't get insurance for just 24 hours, I had to pay a weeks worth. Cost me £70 for two hours fun.

Stupid situation, if I weren't so obsessed with riders with no insurance, I'd just take the risk. (6 points i think for no insurance, isn't it?)
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:12 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that most policies for machines over 350cc had third party cover for riding other machines as standard. Of course, the machine in question has to be insured by its owner too.

Of course, if you ruthlessly get the cheapest possible quote there is, there could be a reason for it, and a lack of EU cover or third party cover for other machines might be that reason.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, very few policies cover you for other bikes, unless you specificy ask for it and pay for it. Of course, for those of us under 25, it's going to cost an arm and a leg.
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

strag
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My policies cover me automatically, whether they have been 3rd party or Fully comp.
____________________
carbon bling
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:42 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriss wrote:
As I understand it, very few policies cover you for other bikes, unless you specificy ask for it and pay for it. Of course, for those of us under 25, it's going to cost an arm and a leg.


Its not that much mate, I am 18 and insured on the ZXR with multibike insurance. I have 2 years NCB which may have been a factor

Kurt
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:00 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check at renewal time then. Thanks for the heads up. I'm willing to retract my comment if my insurance company are pants. (Zenith)
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Re: am i responsible for someone on my bike ? Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
The other side to that is if i commit an offense and then claim it was someone else on my bike doing a test ride does that mean they cannot charge me ?


Because bikers wear helmets, a photograph of someone on our bike isnt conclusive evidence that it is us...if you have the balls to go thru with the lie, then do it. I personally know someone who does this on a frequent basis. They say that they lent the bike to someone else or someone test rode it...the police can do diddly squat unless they actually pull you and see your face.
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.59 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 101.35 Kb