Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Seen a CBR900RR Fireblade in a deelers today

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

MarsBar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:25 - 03 Jul 2005    Post subject: Seen a CBR900RR Fireblade in a deelers today Reply with quote

Priced at £2399. It's a 1992 model. It's at the right price for what I wanted to pay for a sports 600 but I think it might be a little more than what I'm looking for.
What do you think the insurance would be... 25 year old, 2 years NCB, 3 points.

P.S. Good to be back! Very Happy

Cheers,
Mark.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 03 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be cheap.

I'd suspect around £800, although that's an educated guess.
Although although Davo insured a 'busa fairly cheaply at quite a young age.

You're just on the borderline between expensive and cheap insurance.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:44 - 03 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, where you been all this time?!?
____________________
Honda MBX50 | Yamaha RD125LC | Suzuki RG125F Lucky Strike | Suzuki GSF600S
RD125LC Pictures
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:54 - 03 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance shouldn't be /too/ bad under £500 easily, I would have thought.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the older blades when compared to newer 600s.

If anything the engine gives an impression of less go and everything else is likely to be a bit dated.
I would definitely choose the (J model=2000/2001) zx6 I had over one for doing pretty much everything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarsBar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 03 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a 'first' quote from bennetts @ £636 TPFT.
A gsxr, zx6r or cbr600 would be £360 TPFT, but I recon that can come down to below £300.
Does Danny still offer his insurance services?

Cheers Guys!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 03 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a quote of £316 or so for my ZX9 - one years NCB, 3 points and 2 claims (one big) from MCE https://www.insuremce.com/ - I'm 25.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:19 - 03 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

2400 is a bit much for a 92 blade, it'd have to be a mint all-original low-mileage one to keep as a classic first of the line, even then, bit pricy. 2000 is par for the course for a pre 96
____________________
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarsBar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:25 - 03 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCE Quote on GSXR600, 2000 model: £321.87 (TPFT)
Cheers mate!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Hugo, £2000 is top dollar for a the original 893 'Blades. Upto 2500 for 893 Foxeyes.

I personally think they've got a lot more grunt than a modern 600 (we are talking about 15-20bhp extra at the wheel, and a heap load more torque). I don't think it'd be overkill if that's what you're getting at, a bike will only do as much as you ask it to, so if you only want to use 50% of it's power than you only have to twist the throttle halfway, simple.

You'll get insurance under £500 easily, I was paying £700 when I was 19 on mine with no NCB, before I moved to Birmingham and got done for speeding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:12 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I'll be paying £900 for an R1 at 19, 2 years NCB.

Hope that helps in comparison. Insurance quote through motorcycle direct. Smile
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J20a
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:17 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugo-a-gogo wrote:
2400 is a bit much for a 92 blade, it'd have to be a mint all-original low-mileage one to keep as a classic first of the line, even then, bit pricy. 2000 is par for the course for a pre 96


*nods* The boyfriend got his '92 CBR900CC 'Blade for £2K Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A point worth noting is that the 92/93 Blades and the Urban Tiger ones are actually *appreciating* in price nowadays.

I reckon you'd be better off buying a newer 600 than an older Blade. Consumables wear out faster too, Blades eat head bearings, wheel bearings, tyres and chain and sprockets. Not as bad as a Busa but still worse than a 600.

It's also the most expensive bike on the road to insure. Bar none.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I should mention though is that the 92/93 Blades are the cheapest to insure of the lot because at 893cc they are not considered a superbike (900cc is the threshold). A woman at an insurance company told me that.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:
One thing I should mention though is that the 92/93 Blades are the cheapest to insure of the lot because at 893cc they are not considered a superbike (900cc is the threshold). A woman at an insurance company told me that.

Different insurance companies have different rules.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:44 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've not ridden the latest and greatest 600s but i'd be very surprised if they had similar power through the rev range, despite making about the same top end, and most of us don't live right near the red-line all day long (or at least we don't live very long, if we do)
____________________
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:46 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may not have more power through out the rev range, but they give the impression they've got better a better feel of power throughout say 60% of it I'd say.

A friend found dusty's R6 (stanadard gearing) easier to wheely than his own early blade!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:49 - 04 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, the impression of a better feel of power you say?

didn't i read in PB or bike or summat about the old thundercat making more power through most of the range than the new r6?

they are lighter i suppose, that would make a lot of difference to perceived power shirley
____________________
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:03 - 05 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:
AI reckon you'd be better off buying a newer 600 than an older Blade. Consumables wear out faster too, Blades eat head bearings, wheel bearings, tyres and chain and sprockets. Not as bad as a Busa but still worse than a 600.


Don't agree with any of that. I've never heard of Blades eating head bearings, bikes that get wheelied eat head bearings... same for wheel bearings, only replaced the rears once in my blade in 19,000miles. Tyres and C&S are again of average wear, about 12000miles to C&S if you keep it lubed, probably more, and I was getting roughly 8000miles to a set of 010s with commuting and reasonably fast riding.

And as for the 893 not being a superbike so not insured as one, well that sounds like the rule of some yokel insurance company. The word fireblade makes it a superbike. And the 'Blade was 893 from 92-95, and insurance was £15 cheaper on my '96 918cc than it was on my 95 893.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarsBar
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:02 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the usefull info guys!
Still looking though. Crying or Very sad

Mark.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix:
Quote:

Don't agree with any of that. I've never heard of Blades eating head bearings, bikes that get wheelied eat head bearings... same for wheel bearings, only replaced the rears once in my blade in 19,000miles. Tyres and C&S are again of average wear, about 12000miles to C&S if you keep it lubed, probably more, and I was getting roughly 8000miles to a set of 010s with commuting and reasonably fast riding.

And as for the 893 not being a superbike so not insured as one, well that sounds like the rule of some yokel insurance company. The word fireblade makes it a superbike. And the 'Blade was 893 from 92-95, and insurance was £15 cheaper on my '96 918cc than it was on my 95 893


OK, so which is more likely to get wheelied, badly? A Blade or a 600? One of the jobs I've had to do fairly often on Blades is head bearings, they notch quite easily, normally from people opening them up, feeling the front lift and then slamming the throttle shut. They are also renowned for doing wheel bearings, especially the rears. A mate of mine was running a Blade track bike (admittedly heavier than normal wear but not by that much) and was replacing about two sets of rear wheel bearings each season. C&S are about 12k miles but you compare that to a GSXR600, my neighbour has a chain that is at 15k and about halfway through it's lifetime.

8000 miles to a set of 010s is fairly impressive, the best I've ever managed was about 6500 to a set.

I don't think Bennetts are likely to be happy with you calling them a yokel company either. When I spoke to them, they said that the 900cc threshold was where they put up their insurance prices. This is why the 750 class became so popular. It might have changed by now as this was about 6 years ago, when I got my first Blade.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:10 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head bearings aren't too bad, except the lower race that sits in the steering stem. I have a set of modified pullers that do the job nicely but, without them, it is a pain. I've heard of people using a dremel to cut a slot, most of the way through the lower race, then inserting a screwdriver and t***ing it with a hammer. This sounds good in principal but be careful not to mark the stem.

Once you've done the job, don't forget to check the bearings quite often until they bed in, the lower race will 'settle' unless you've used the proper (expensive) Honda tool to seat it.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:
When I spoke to them, they said that the 900cc threshold was where they put up their insurance prices. This is why the 750 class became so popular.


The Fireblade was the bike that killed off the 750 class.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that, I meant that the 750 class was popular because the insurance was/is cheaper than the litre bikes.

The GSXR750 and ZX7R survived, anyway. It was the YZF that seemed to be hit the hardest, they're cracking bikes but got hammered byt the arrival of the Blade.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bish777
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Re: Seen a CBR900RR Fireblade in a deelers today Reply with quote

MarsBar wrote:
Priced at £2399. It's a 1992 model. It's at the right price for what I wanted to pay for a sports 600 but I think it might be a little more than what I'm looking for.
What do you think the insurance would be... 25 year old, 2 years NCB, 3 points.

P.S. Good to be back! Very Happy

Cheers,
Mark.


If its a low mileage minter go for it! great bikes!

Insurace wont be steep tpf+t. I pay £205 a year for my GSXR 1100, im 25 and have 2 year ncb.
____________________
GSXR1100J
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:24 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Re: Seen a CBR900RR Fireblade in a deelers today Reply with quote

Even for TPO, insurance is cheaper on older bikes; about half the price for an eleven year old NSR vs an under a year old NSR!

I would try and get a test ride on a blade and a 600.

I would definitely go for the 600 for fun, but can see the blade might be better for distance etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.13 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.32 Kb