Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Project Bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Project Bike? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm giving up smoking at the moment (Due to health reasons, and being skint) and I've been thinking of things to get my mind off of worries/cigs.

So I came across the idea of getting a project bike? Pretty sure it's a good idea as:

Arrow Will take addled brain off of smoking
Arrow Will make addled brain learn mechanics and basic bike stuff
Arrow Will make addled brain feel like it has achieved something
Arrow Will give me something to ride once I've done my DAS in about 3 months
Arrow Will be able to get it exactly how I want it and squeaky clean
Arrow If it doesn't work out, I can get rid of it and just add 50 or so quid to the price due to all the cleaning/etc I will do to it!

Just wondering, how viable is this for someone with next to no mechanical skills? And how much do you think this will cost me just to buy the bike? Can anyone recommend any bike salvage places in the Liverpool area? I'm not looking for something simple to get running, has to be a little bit taxing and I'm not that bothered about spending money on parts in the future, just want a cheap startup cost! Smile

Thanks guys,

TobyR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:50 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's West Coast Motorcycles just need Southport? Smile
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:52 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah... I have heard of the place...

Apparently, it's the place where Ghostrider got his 500HP Hayabusa sorted from... There's their logo on the tank I think? Can't remember, will have to ask one of my mates but apparently GR is also Liverpool based? I've seen a picture of him somewhere and apparently one of my mate's dad's knows him?

Don't know how much truth there is in that, but would be cool to think so!

Will find out their contact number and give them a ring... Only want to spend about a 100! Smile

Tobyr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:00 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobyr wrote:
Only want to spend about a 100!

www.adtrader.co.uk

For £100 you're not going to get any bike from a breakers yard unless it's been run over by a train or something.

One of your dads mates knows ghostrider? Of course he does.... Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what I've heard, but apparently he's based in Liverpool and my mates Dad knows people in West Coast... He also participates in lots of North West biking events so it's possible...

Oh no because it's Ghost Rider it means that no one possibly on the face of this planet has ever interacted with him. Obviously he must be a complete loner with no friends anywhere! Smile

So I'm not going to get a project for under £100? There's people on here that have got fully rideable bikes for under 200! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Re: Project Bike? Reply with quote

tobyr wrote:
Hi,
project bike,
skint,
no mechanical skills,

Thanks guys,

TobyR

Doesnt sound too promising does it?

Why not try something like a PW50 with a blocked carb or something? That way you can sort the carb out yourself for little or no money, and it wont be that difficult... and you get a great little popalong bike to thrash around for a bit of fun? Laughing
____________________
CBT Aug '03 ... Gilera GSM 50 ... Honda NSR 125 Aug '04 ...
Full Test Dec 04... Suzuki GS500 Jan 05... Suzuki SV650 Mar 07... Gixxer 6 K5 May 08... Oh and my 'Rado Wink
My Bikepics.com - No Brakes, No Gears... No Fear.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:29 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea method! Smile Might actually try that out.

I have people that can help me if I get stuck, plus in a couple of months I can start putting some money into it, I just want SOMETHING in my garage so I at least feel like I'm advancing in my goal of getting a bike! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobyr wrote:
Good idea method! Smile Might actually try that out.

See, im not just a pretty face.

tobyr wrote:
I just want SOMETHING in my garage so I at least feel like I'm advancing in my goal of getting a bike! Smile

Well i wouldnt say a PW50 is a GREAT advance... but hey, my brother had one for a while and i had great fun thrashing it around the back garden during study leave Wink
____________________
CBT Aug '03 ... Gilera GSM 50 ... Honda NSR 125 Aug '04 ...
Full Test Dec 04... Suzuki GS500 Jan 05... Suzuki SV650 Mar 07... Gixxer 6 K5 May 08... Oh and my 'Rado Wink
My Bikepics.com - No Brakes, No Gears... No Fear.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:10 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've got an orchard Very Happy Sort of Sad

There's an old ZZR/GPZ (Don't know exactly, it's some mid 80's 500 as far as I can see) That has been sat outside someones house with no cover for about 6 months... Might get the bottle to ask whoever lives there if I can buy it... Still has an engine at least Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

landy.s11a
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:56 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tobyr

Be a little careful when getting an old Gpz500, as a lot of forum members will tell you they have their problems, and they can be expensive to sort out, problems with alternator rotors can be costly even when buying from breakers and thats if you can find one,

I bought my Gpz500 for £200 as a 'nearly' runner, I was lucky to find a rebuilt engine on ebay with the rotor and alternator intact, the fork stanchions were pitted and even after cleaning back with an arkansas stone they still knackered the new seals, had to buy new forks to swap the stanchions over.

Apart from that the bike is now in a decent state (apart from some mended cracks in the plastics) and a dent in the tank (covered with a baglux tank cover) has only cost me about £500 and
is well fast enough for me, (usually ride cruisers).

Best of luck

Lee
____________________
"Speed:The thing about speed is that you can't catch the people who've attained it to ask them how they got so fast. You chase them day after day, until you find yourself getting closer. Then you catch them, and realize that your question has just been answered."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:06 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, don't know what the reaction would be if I walked up to someone's door and offered to buy their bike, could end up with a bike for dirt cheap, dead expensive, or a punch in the head!

I will keep an eye out for knackered bikes to restore though Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

landy.s11a
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

give it a go, they might be happy to see the bike gone

you get nowhere if you don't try,

Lee
____________________
"Speed:The thing about speed is that you can't catch the people who've attained it to ask them how they got so fast. You chase them day after day, until you find yourself getting closer. Then you catch them, and realize that your question has just been answered."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL you'll not get a project from West Coast! They do mainly customs & cruisers, you might get a decent Harley from them though!

If you are fairly near Southport, Blacks is a better option, although they are a bugger to find cos they're in the middle of nowhere.

MD Spares here in Warrington are good too, although you may be pushing it getting something for £100, £200 is nearer the mark even for a non-runner.

Ebay would be a good bet though, all sorts of shite on there!

Or if you've got £250 you can have a Yam XS750 with 2 engines, complete rolling chassis, most of the bits needed to finish it. I'd even deliver it seeing as you're not that far from us!
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:19 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, Blacks Joke Shop.

I did not enjoy my brief encounter with them. Wink

West Coast Salvage don't have anything project like? Razz
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriss wrote:

West Coast Salvage don't have anything project like? Razz


Embarassed Forgot that bit, I was just thinking about the shop, where I go to dream occasionally..... Wink

Do tell about Blacks, their bikes seemed overpriced for the condition but the lads in the salvage bit (on the other side of the road) have always been OK when we've been in?

There's another place in Southport too, it's basically just some guy's back garden, fascinating place & he lets you just go in & rummage, but I can't remember the name of it.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooooooooh,

Forgot you're in Warrington Babyyam! Will give you a shout if I end up in the area as my girlfriend lives in Warrington!

I would be interested, and I didn't think that West Coast would help! (As I said, I think it's where GhostRiders Hayabusa came from Smile)

I know of Blacks, in Ormskirk somewhere, keep badgering my mate to take me, and could probably get a runner from blacks for a tad over a ton!

Not sure whether it'd be a good idea, me riding an 750 considering it'd be the first bike I jump on after my DAS (although I will have no restriction when I pass), but if it's fairly torquey instead of psychotic I will be very interested! Smile

Thanks a lot babyyam! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:25 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Crosby by the way! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:29 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of thing do you want to do?

I mean are you after a non-runner to build up and make run again? Or are you after a tatty old thing that does start and run, that you can sit down and make look half pretty and get it road legal?
____________________
CBT Aug '03 ... Gilera GSM 50 ... Honda NSR 125 Aug '04 ...
Full Test Dec 04... Suzuki GS500 Jan 05... Suzuki SV650 Mar 07... Gixxer 6 K5 May 08... Oh and my 'Rado Wink
My Bikepics.com - No Brakes, No Gears... No Fear.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:33 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mixture of both really Method,

Arrow Something that's tatty and runs would be fine, but I would be looking for 125cc if I can get on it straight away.
Arrow Or something that needs restoring would also be good, as I would have to learn what I need to do, get manuals, ask around, find parts and get accustomed to mechanics (To give me something to do, I learn pretty quickly!)

So at the end of the day I don't really mind - I would consider anything! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:38 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so what about say a DT125...?
Pick one up that has maybe been dropped? Would probably require new plastics, levers, bars replacing... along with checking over the frame for bends and forks etc...? Or perhaps a "non-runner" that you could take a look at... they normally go for chips on eGay.

You could spend say £70 on a non-running 125 and see what you could do with it? if the worst comes to worst then you can simply strip it and flog the bits individually to get back what you spent on it in the first place Thumbs Up
____________________
CBT Aug '03 ... Gilera GSM 50 ... Honda NSR 125 Aug '04 ...
Full Test Dec 04... Suzuki GS500 Jan 05... Suzuki SV650 Mar 07... Gixxer 6 K5 May 08... Oh and my 'Rado Wink
My Bikepics.com - No Brakes, No Gears... No Fear.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your thinking method! I'm going to start keeping an eye out on ebay...

Even if all I do is scrub it up and give it a damn good tidy, I might be able to make a nice clean profit by selling it on! (Would be fair as well, as they wouldn't have to clean and sort everything!)

Smile


Last edited by veeeffarr on 17:56 - 07 Jul 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh that reminds me, I know of an old CB125 that might suit too, but not sure what they want for it, I know it's been off the road for at least 10 years now though & might come in a box..... Wink

Was gonna be our mate's gf's bike but he stripped it to do up and I don't think it ever got put back together properly.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollocks, there's a TZR on there for 300 quid Buy It Now!

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9809&item=4560564933&rd=1

That would have been awesome... but 500 quid overdrawn already! Must... wait... until... next... month...!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:54 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobyr wrote:
I might be able to make a nice clean profile by selling it on!

Hey you never know, but you might be able to make a little Profit aswell Thumbs Up
____________________
CBT Aug '03 ... Gilera GSM 50 ... Honda NSR 125 Aug '04 ...
Full Test Dec 04... Suzuki GS500 Jan 05... Suzuki SV650 Mar 07... Gixxer 6 K5 May 08... Oh and my 'Rado Wink
My Bikepics.com - No Brakes, No Gears... No Fear.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:57 - 07 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't care about that though!

It's all about the profile...

Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 101 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.52 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.66 Kb