Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Chains

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Kram
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Chains Reply with quote

Lube or Wax?

am in need of purchasing some chain stuff today...

do i go for a spray on lube, or a wax?

Edit: also how much are torque wrenches??
____________________
FS1E -> SR125 -> CB400N -> CB650 -> FZR600 Genises -> VFR400 NC21 -> CBR900RR Fireblade -> Renault Clio 1.4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a torque wrench from argos 15 quid
I use spray on lube but am told wax is better
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sheepy1209
Nova Slayer



Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say about chain lube (I'm waiting for replies with interest).

I bought a 'micrometer' torque wrench yesterday for £24.99 - but you can get them cheaper.

Cheap ones tend to have a scale with a pointer - you have to watch the position of the pointer and stop turning when it reaches the right point on the scale.

It's much easier to go for a 'micrometer' type - on these you dial in the torque before you start, and the wrench releases itself when you reach that torque - much easier, and less chance of over-tightening.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea with my wrench I twist the bottom till it points to the desired setting thet when I use it it "pings" when you have reached the desired torque. I think the make is Challenge, its only a cheapie but it'll do for the amount I'll use it
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a torque wrench that covers all the torque settings on a bike. You usually need two.
according to my Honda manual I need to be able to cover 8 m/n to 110 m/n (or is that Ft/lb whatever) and I've never found a single wrench that covers this range.

As for chain lube get a Scotoiler but make sure it's fitter right and that you know how the fooka works. Amazing how many people whinge about them not working then you find out they've been filling the reservoir through the breather tube or something.
____________________
https://hyperbikes.forumsplace.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cover the chain in engine oil and then apply chain wax.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oldgit
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that you actually need to oil sealed chains, only the older type of standard chain. As I understand it 'O' and 'X' ring chains are sealed link chains and don't require any oil. What they do need is protection from dirt and corrosive stuff like salt. So, when I fit a new chain I use wax on it to seal the crap out. During the winter I also periodically clean the chain (paraffin and then degreaser), dry it off and re-wax it - works for me. The problem with oil or grease based products is that the dirt and grit sticks to them, creating an abrasive paste that wears both the chain and sprockets.
Conversely I believe that oiling also has a bit of a cooling effect on chains, and I know from experience that auto chain oilers do make the chain last longer, but I think they use a thinner, not-so-tacky mixture with continuous small applications of oil, and mine still sprayed oil over the back wheel no matter how I adjusted it.
____________________
grumpy old man
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW Draper do a good small torque wrench that's ok for most bike bits except the really big ones like those holding on the wheels. It's the 3/8" drive starting at 10Nm, cost around £15-£20 from what I remember (try this search from eBay). The Argos one will be ok for the bigger sort of stuff.

If you get a chance before buying a torque wrench see if you can set it up and put it in a vice to test the 'break' action. On some I've seen it either doesn't happen or is such a small click and feel you can miss it.

If you're very rich then you could go for the Snap-On one shown in 'The Long Way Round' that actually beeps at you at the correct setting Rolling Eyes

HTH Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:27 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Profi dry lube for the chain.
Wax grease and oil is a fu(ker to remove for 'correct' chain maintenance. Grit sticks to it causing wear to rollers and sprocket teeth.

Profi Dry lube every couple of tanks works.

Or a Scott oiler, coz it's another innovation from the North that works.

Main thing is clean chain lasts longer. And will require less maintenance.

Torque wrenches are fickle things so if you must, buy a good one. Not much for £30.00< out there.
I only trust compendent tools at work so why compromise on the one thing I love?
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DAF
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:05 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottoiler works for me so happy to recommend that.

Spent a fair amount of time looking for a torque wrench recently - found a couple of useful links in the course of my search if anyone's looking;

https://www.tooled-up.com/MicroCategory.asp?CID=30&SCID=324&MCID=1590&referrer=google

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/search.asp?q=torque+wrench
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:08 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a scottoiler but its not fitted. The wire that comes off the end of it, where does it go? anywhere with 12v thats only on when ignition is??
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DAF
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:46 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a scottoiler but its not fitted. The wire that comes off the end of it, where does it go? anywhere with 12v thats only on when ignition is??


Confused Not sure on that one; mine was fitted by the garage when I bought the bike. Having said that, I can't think there's any electrical connection involved (not with the Mk7 anyway) - what makes it work is a vacuum link into the carb. Basically all my model has is a dispenser feed pipe, a vacuum pipe and a breather pipe; there's no electrical wiring. If you haven't got fitting instructions you might want to visit www.scottoiler.com or give them a call

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:58 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh so its not a wire, its a pipe for vacum. Intresting. Thinking


I should look and try to fit it sometime.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:06 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zxr400er wrote:
...I should look and try to fit it sometime.

The current edition of Bike (Sept 2005) has a step-by-step guide, with pictures, in the back 'Home Mechanic' section.

There's an MCN guide (pdf download) on how to fit one if you click here.

HTH Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely use a torque wrench when working on the bike...

I had the rear wheel off my mate's bike to do his wheel bearings, and happened to have a torque wrench handy... my "that'll be fine" estimate with my arm and spanner (not to be confused with the toothpaste) was almost spot on when I checked it with the torque wrench.

no harm in checking a torque wrench, but it's not crucial..

it's like cooking.. once you get used to it, and know what you're doing, you don't have to have all measurements exact.

a
(rebuilt a GPZ engine without a torque wrench, including head bolts)
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:00 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find 3 in 1 Lube to be much better than Castrol Chain Wax. The latter dries out far too quickly, attracts grime and dust like crazy, and is a bitch to clean.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:29 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use spray on grease, not a light oil spray
i have heard that wax is fine in the dry but not if you are gonna use it in the wet
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkyPancake
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:49 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently use a grease spray, but will try a different product/brand once it's empty.

A good tip is to lube the chain after a ride, so that it's warm and soaks up the lube better.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cleaning regime is wash the bike and dry, put on paddock stand and clean chain. Ride around the block with a dry chain to warm it then back on the paddock stand and put new lube on. Don't know if I'm thorough enough cleaning the chain though really difficult to get it spotless as the old lube is so sticky. Do you all use chain cleaner and a rag or is there a better way (thought about a brush but don't want to damage the o rings) I read somewhere that WD40 was good but can damage the o rings over time
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:03 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

O and X ring chains do need lubing.

I use old engine oil myself, and have a loob-man fitted to my TRX, which seems to be working very nicely.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fozberry
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:16 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Re: Chains Reply with quote

[quote="Drummer"]Lube or Wax?[/quote]
I lube my chain in a couple of ways. I put a drop of normal engine oil onto each of the O rings to keep them nice and lubricated, then spray on some chain wax to help keep water away and prevent rusting etc.

Quick hint for applying chain wax - many people recommend that you spray them on after a ride while the chain is warm as this will help melt the wax and get a better spread. Personally, I never get round to doing this, so what I do is spray the wax on, then rub it in with my hand - the wax melts at body temperature, so it gets into all the nooks and crannies very nicely this way. Wear surgical gloves when you try this though!
[quote="Drummer"]also how much are torque wrenches??[/quote]
Dunno about prices really, but I'd recommend getting one. You'd be surprised how often you over-tighten bolts without a torwue wrench!

fozberry
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:09 - 11 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Wurth Chain Wax Thumbs Up

Great stuff.
____________________
Past: Honda NSR125R >> Kawasaki ER-5a2 >> Kawasaki ZZR-600e1 >> Suzuki GSXR-750Y >> Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm
"Chickity China the Chinese Chicken..."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.35 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 118.08 Kb