Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


The Daily Commute?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:34 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commute everyday to college which is a total of 20 mile(10 miles there, 10miles back). Been commuting to college now everyday on the bike since last September and I'm prepared to do it all again even if that includes riding in the snow. Mad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:38 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason i bought my bike was for commuting. It's 20 miles each way and, like others on here, i use one of the rucksacks with the laptop compartment in it. I commute all weather apart from when the roads get real icy. Even I'm not that stupid!

Works a treat for me. I'm on a mixture of twisty country roads to play on and towns to practice me filtering!

We have a drying room especially for motorbike gear at work, and I've space in one of our cuboards at work for my helmet, though i normally keep it on my desk as I've loads of room there as well. It's great working for a company that activly supports bikers. We have a scheme to encorage people to come to work on motorbikes and cycles. We are guarenteed parking spaces, and for each day we come on two wheels we get a sticker. Each sticker is worth a pound. We collect them up and when we fill a pge (50 stickers) we can claim the money for any motorbike shop. They give us bonus money for the more points we collect as well. so it works out 1 page gets you £55, 2 gets you £115, 3 pages is £125 and so on. I haven't paid for a service in ages! Got new helmet, boots, all sorts of stuff! Can't praise work enough for this!

Back to topic!

By having the rucksack with the laptop held against my back, I'm thinking it would make a rather nice spine protector if i come off. I should be able to slide a good distance on my laptop before i wear through it! Hell I don't care, work paid for it!!!

The other nice thing with having the laptop on my back is that i can put MP3's on, and have one headphone in while i ride! over 4000 songs on shuffle, and as it's in the bag it doesn't matter if it rains as the laptop stays dry!
____________________
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could Chuck Norris?

All of it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TOM M
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:52 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the hell do those cargo nets work?
Possible to use them on a zxr400???
____________________
Now owner of a 1200 Bandit
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kram
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:55 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ride about 11 miles round trip to work... carrying a tie because it's to much work starting the bike
____________________
FS1E -> SR125 -> CB400N -> CB650 -> FZR600 Genises -> VFR400 NC21 -> CBR900RR Fireblade -> Renault Clio 1.4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

innominate
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:43 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 Miles each way.

Liverpool to Salford.

So its the M62 most of the way.

Can take back roads but they go all over the place & turn a 25min ride into a 45min one.


Commute every day , only take the train if its too icy to ride.
____________________
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:04 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammyboy wrote:
18 mile trek. Took me 10mins every day Razz.


So you carried an average speed of about 110mph, bet you went past a primary school as well! Crying or Very sad

I commute about 5 miles each way, a tank bag/back pack does the job fine for carrying stuff, whack my textiles and coat on the hangers and put my helmet in my draw by my desk or leave it by my coat. Its all done down the A34 so some filtering is usually necessary, especillay if some dumb twat decides to lie his truck on its side on the M6.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Russ
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 02 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:18 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute 75 miles a day, 40 miles are boring m/way Evil or Very Mad , so the tyres are getting so bloody square. when I bought the the bike it was left with the full givi set (top box and panniers) bloody nice bloke !!!! Laughing
____________________
knock on the devils door and HE will answer...............
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:27 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom wrote:
According to the routeplanner I've just put my route into it should take 50 minutes, but I do it in about 25. Shocked Probably not a good thing considering the advent of the winter means more weird crap on those roads, hell I've already hit a branch at 60 so I think I need to start leaving earlier.


Fuck sake, talk about a good guess. Decided to take a more 'relaxed' approach to riding in today. Was sitting behind a car at 50ish down one of the smaller roads and a little deer runs out in front of him. Bang, shit, off goes Mr Cager. Can't bring myself to leave the thing, which is still very much alive... and kicking. Screaming too. Confused Fortunately a bloke in a BT van turned up and could actually get a phone signal to ring the RSPCA. After about 30 mins I headed in to work but will hopefully get a call in a while to find out the outcome (do they shoot it, fix it or is it going to have to settle for the slow and painful option). The thing didn't look too bad really, still breathing regularly etc.

Gah, wish I wasn't one of those 'animal lover' types cause that wasn't a very fun way to spend a morning.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:37 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I commute by car most of the time, but if we get moved to the other building where car parking's not free I think I'll invest in a CB or a Bros or similar and slap a nice big topbox on the back. Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

headlamp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 miles each way on the North Circular Road from Finchley to Chiswick in London. Journey involves a minimum of 4 miles of filtering - on some occasions 10 miles!!

I have a Givi Box attached to my Fazer - so it takes most things I need.
____________________
Using a mobile phone while driving a car should be made a capital offence!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sheepy1209
Nova Slayer



Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:05 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 10 miles each way, down Blackpool promenade - a little bit of filtering, but mostly just hanging on and leaning into the wind. A bit boring, as there's one roundabout, a bend, and a couple of miles of 40-limit.

Was using a tankbag on my GPZ500, but the shape of the tank on the V-Strom is a bit weird and it doesn't fit - just ordered a Givi box and rack.

No problem with parking, it's a secure Government site - but I'm currently at war with the car drivers who keep parking across the exit from the bike sheds - Security are great, ticketing all the selfish bastards!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GearboxGeezer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:44 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have to ride 7 or so miles, love every secound of it, whether its filtering threw the 3 laned a road with traffic at a stand still or ragging it round 1 of 7 lovely round-a-bouts on my journey, Oh and we also got a section called the " Iver Mile " which is a wicked place to open the thortle.... problem is is that im on a 50cc.... But I enjoy watching the other bikers doing ridiculous speeds when passing me Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

moog
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:58 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a 16 mile round trip every day on B-roads from North Walsham via Felmingham to Aylsham, in Norfolk. I leave my house at 5:20 every morning, so there's no traffic about, and I use a CBR125. Journey takes about 10 - 15 mins each way, and I thoroughly enjoy it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
Cargo nets cheap and you can strap most things down with one...I normally have 2 under my seat.


normally yes, but not at the moment as you've left one in my garage!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mattfuzzy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:02 - 10 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i go to college (or will be going once again as of next thursday) but its only like 6 miles each way so thats not too bad, the DNA is pretty good though, never tryed putting the lid in the lid compartment but its good for storing bits Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:05 - 10 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to have to switch to bike for commuting to work, when I start my new job, as it's smack in a city center and I'm too impatient to drive in and too lazy to go in early to beat the traffic.

So keeping my eyes open for a commuter bike at the moment, seen a nice Honda CB-1 for sale.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:06 - 10 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 ish miles each way, so many choices its still fun, even in crap weather. 30/40 minutes by bike, an hour by car. Use a rucksack for general stuff, cargo net or soft panniers when I have to.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DAF
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:45 - 10 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 miles each way into the city and back - motorway for a few miles and then mostly dual carriageway. Always at least a few miles filtering; more so now everyone's back from summer holiday Thumbs Down

Quick start in the morning; brush teeth, quick breakfast, throw on protective gear and jump on bike. Get showered at work, changed into suit etc and Bob's your uncle.

Use Oxford Products tankbag for transporting various stuff - shower gear, towel, clean shirt etc. Beats any other means of transport although forced to use shitty public transport, generally on a Friday, when I'm out for a few shandies after work.
____________________
2005 Yam Fazer (FZ6-S)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevoriv
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:40 - 12 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

kind of relevant....

how many ppl commute into a town/city centre?

For me its only a couple of miles but im paranoid about where to park my bike!

Theres a few free places just out of town but they're in rough areas. Can park in town for £10 a week but i never see any bikes parked there, so where do all the bikers park in town centres?!?!

i live in bolton by the way so if anyone parks in bolton town centre lemme know Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:13 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute from Warrington to Speke most days, which is plenty of long A road action (It's about 30 miles a day)

I carry a rucksack with my trainers/jeans/phone/cigarettes in and I carry my wallet in my jacket pocket.

Sometimes if my bag is bulky with other things I'll cargo net it to the back of my bike to stop it injuring me if I come off.

I've done rain, fog, boiling hot sun and I have to say the freezing cold days are my favorite, because I don't get sweaty after I've just had a shower.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:38 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoko, juding from your map, do you work at Lloyds TSB? I used to go to Worthing College just opposite before I moved to Birmingham.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ava_Banana
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:57 - 14 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute from East of Chelmsford in Essex into London every day.

It is about 40 miles.

...first 6 is full-on country lanes....then there is about 23 miles of dual-carriageway shennanigans.....

...then the filtering begins in ernest.

Oxford tank bag for all my bits........just because I am so lazy and all I have to do is place it on the tank, then lift it off when I get to work. Air conditioning room to dry my gear off in, locker for my other bits, and my helmet sits on the locker (and they know not to touch it Twisted Evil Twisted Evil )

Bike is parked round the back of the workplace just off Old Street roundabout (London).

And I love it....... Very Happy Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.51 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 117.51 Kb