Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Jumping on the panic buying bandwagon!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

superstacker
Traffic Copper



Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:29 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Jumping on the panic buying bandwagon! Reply with quote

Went out to fill the car up tonight, obviously wasnt the only one with the same idea!

every station around, with cars backing out onto the street, the local tesco with about 75 cars in front of me.

But still needed fuel for my journey to base tommorrow.

Also my brother needed petrol for his moped, so i grabbed a jerry can.

Looked like a right panic buyer and got some dirty looks by the woman on the forcourt, and other drivers. (was in the car)

If he doesnt pass the CBT tommorrow then i have 5 litres of the finest unleaded right here.

Ill start the bidding at 7 pounds! Laughing (imagine how much it will be worth in a couple of weeks lol)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put £20's worth in a jerry can, looked like a panic buyer but not really. I need to ride the bike home on saturday and if there's no fuel left i'm f*cked. I'd of filled the bike up today if i had it and wouldn't of had to look like a panic tw*t. Laughing

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-LITRES-OF-THE-FINEST-UNLEADED-PETROL-AROUND-TOWN_W0QQitemZ7999970725QQcategoryZ30928QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

£50 for 15 litres
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:53 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

l,ve got 10 litres in the shed which is for dads outboard,s which l could use but l can,t see it getting really that bad. if it did l,ll use my 125cc rat bike and ride around like a road warrior hunting for guzlien Smile
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:01 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted a bit of petrol extra becuase with my new ram air trying to crack crack 150mph is gonna guzzle fuel. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsmith95
Traffic Copper



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:01 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I filled up one of my CB250s at the weekend, I used the other CB250 for work today and filled her up after work so I have enough fuel to last me the week Middle Finger Anyway every station had a queue of cars, but I was lucky to goto Sainsbury's just south of the Blackwall tunnel where I waited only five minutes. BTW, I didn't push in, I waited like everybody else.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TOM M
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:02 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long is this strike ment to last??????

Only when i go to pick up my zxr400 from being fixed i might have a problem of getting it home as there is hardly any petrol in her and its a good 40mins drive.
____________________
Now owner of a 1200 Bandit
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ben RVF
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 03 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:04 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been riding around looking for petrol in southend - tescos is chokka. Only one station out of 6 that I checked had unleaded, which was ultimate at over £1/litre. Its annoying because sometimes I go and fill up at night to go for a ride and generally to avoid the daytime crowding but it was madness.

Bad time for the fuel warning light to come on Smile
____________________
Ben
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:06 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starts day after tomorrow and they say will be until Brown cracks. It won't be though, a week tops, as the police now have powers to remove the protestors from refineries.

I cancelled my MOT and just won't drive the car for a couple of weeks, as I won't be able to get fuel in the next week anyway, and can't afford to fill the car and get it MOTd!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

superstacker
Traffic Copper



Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:09 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest i wouldnt panic too much


then again im off to northern ireland on wednesday morning!, military transport (our diesel is kept on base)

then civvy flight to belfast. so im alright jack lol Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kram
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:37 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

am filling the bike up tomoro sometime, will last me a week, and if i have trouble... of to work to steal some Twisted Evil
____________________
FS1E -> SR125 -> CB400N -> CB650 -> FZR600 Genises -> VFR400 NC21 -> CBR900RR Fireblade -> Renault Clio 1.4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mario
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:56 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it doesnt last long, but prices need to go down! My normal garage was closed so saw all the queue's but only to one pump in each dock, turns out they filtered to next available but skipped them all through small space and got straight away Laughing Joys of biking, was flippin lucky not to get knocked out!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spitfire
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:00 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

so glad I just bought a fiesta 1.4 diesel, I get 50-60 to the gallon Very Happy

If I ride the R6 very carefully I can get over 45mpg as well, hopefully that will see me through!

if alll that fails will need to dust off the push bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RealNinja
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:09 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sat in the queue at our local Tesco for about 25 minutes on the way to work (10.30 last night) until I thought about using the bikes....

A quick call to the wife confirmed that I have a full tank in the 400 and 3/4 tank in the 750, which should last me a good two weeks, if I am careful Wink

..and to think I made myself late for work waiting in the queue Rolling Eyes Embarassed
____________________
You will become my force of retribution. Where you tread, doom will follow. Go now and claim your destiny
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:20 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

superstacker wrote:
to be honest i wouldnt panic too much


then again im off to northern ireland on wednesday morning!, military transport (our diesel is kept on base)

then civvy flight to belfast. so im alright jack lol Laughing


OK, so instead of having no fuel you'll go to the place where there is so much, people throwing it at you in milk bottles!

God I love Northren Ireland!
____________________
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could Chuck Norris?

All of it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Slickfish
Crazy Courier



Joined: 24 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:21 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our cars full my 250's full my 600 has 3 quaters full, however, the people in my scooter racing team arnt pulling their weight and non of them have petrol for the BMF weekend, I got half afew litres for the scooter they have nothing!, their cars are empty!.
And they have ago at me for wanting to have abit of a plan, get things sorted!
takes the p8ss every member of our team has something vital to the team, and at this rate it will be a flop!.

I support the petrol strike, but I think the team mates could have sorted something.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cbrbiker
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 17 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:22 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was filtering down the A41 this morning, I passed 2 queues of cars for the same station. As I passed them I just shouted "Fcuking idiots!" as loud as I could! Mad
____________________
My Bikepics page
www.trackdaypix.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkyPancake
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:31 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I better put some more in the car last night, just in case, so went to one of the cheapest stations at 92.9p per litre to ride past a Shell garage this morning selling it at 90.9p per litre. The few pence difference adds up to more fuel for the same cash amount. It's annoying when you come across this.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:54 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to fill up the car and bike tonight...

beacause they are both empty.

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsmith95
Traffic Copper



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 13 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I run out of fuel and I can't get anymore fuel I can't work..So I hope this lasts a few days..

All three bikes are full, I have enough to last me till next tuesday.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:34 - 14 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I queued at Tescos for 30 mins and then i got 3 cars away and they ran out so they had to shut it!

Some c**t starts off with an idea and that leads to people panic buying petrol! Evil or Very Mad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:36 - 14 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some reading.

Got these from the BBC website:

Quote:
Dismissing the idea of government intervention to cut prices at the pump, Gordon Brown said that the current price spike was a "global problem that demands global solutions".


Quote:
Sir Jonathan Porritt, chairman of the Sustainable Development Commission, said the last thing the government should do was cut fuel duty.

Fuel prices needed to be kept high to drive changes in consumer behaviour and drive investment in new energy efficiency technology.


Evil or Very Mad
____________________
<Simple> no I'm shaven Jon Razz
<Simple> it is a big enough hole.. I'll leave it now
Ride: 1999 Suzuki GSXR600 (yellow/black) IRC: Stats - Relationship Map
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:40 - 14 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a full tank on my CG, and a 9.2 mile commute to work... I wonder how long that will last me? 2 weeks? Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:46 - 14 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well some of us were planning to go upto the Peterborough show on the 17th/18th.

Looks doubtful unless fuel can be bought! Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:48 - 14 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh FFS will you all listen to yourselves! Rolling Eyes

Do any of you live near a petrol station? Do you notice how often the tankers come to refill? I bet it's not more than once or twice a week.

A picket of the refineries would get bored or broken up by the police long before it had any great effect, if only people were not so dumb and filling every available orifice with fuel.

You think the emergency services and public transport don't have their own reserves? It will be an inconvenience at worst, more likely (another) storm in a teacup.

Tell you what I would like to see though. Most modern perol pumps can have a limit to the fuel dispensed set by the cashier. Wouldn't it be good if instead of everyone buying fuel that they will likely either find mostly evaporated when they come across it in 6 months, it was limited to say a maximum of £20 per customer?

I just can't believe so many people have been sucked in by the hype. It makes me so angry. Muppets.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 19 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.86 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 124.67 Kb