BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How Embarrassing !!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time, I decided to see how far my bike would go before reserve. Normally it'll do about 300 km before I fill it up again. I start getting a bit worried when it passed 365 km without needing the tap turned to reserve and decide to fill up anyway. My tank holds 10.25 litres. I filled it with 10.15 litres. Embarassed

Reserve? Be thankful you have one. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i think reserve/fuel taps is a stupid idea, why not just have a fuel light?
On my SRAD GSXR the light flashes first, then is lit constantly when it gets really low. I know that from the first flashes i have about 50 miles to empty, when it's constantly lit i start to panic!
A few years ago, my mate traded his SRAD 750 for a K3 1000, when he got to my house the fuel light was flashing - no probs, about 50 miles left in the tank. We got about 10 miles down the road and he coasted over to the side and stopped - out of fuel.
A classic case of RTFM, Suzuki had decided to change from a 'flashing then constant' to a 'flashing only' fuel light. I had to lend him my bike to go back to his house, get his wallet and fuel can. He returned with the fuel can stuffed down the front of his jacket, highlighting his rather bizarre approach to motorcycle safety!
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...

PostPosted: 20:13 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: How Embarrassing !!! Reply with quote

White Noise wrote:
that happened to me this morning, did some miles for work so reset the odometer for it. figured i was ok for gas by my calculations. first mistake! Laughing

You silly bugger. You, of all people, should know better Rolling Eyes

Me? I NEVER rely on the oddometer (spelling intentional), since it only ever tells you how far you've gone, not how fast or how hard you've ridden to get there.

Also, I always make sure I've put the tap back into the 'ON' position as soon as I get to a petrol station - BEFORE I even fill the bike back up. It's a good habit to get into, since it's so easy to fill up the tank, forgetting that you are already on Reserve (like WN) Razz

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 20:16 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Me? I NEVER rely on the oddometer (spelling intentional), since it only ever tells you how far you've gone, not how fast or how hard you've ridden to get there

true but i use it as a guide to how far i got till the reserve, i normally fill when i get to reserve and meter normally tell me about a range of 10KM at the most, otherwise i would get on in the morning and think,"did i fill is the other day" my memory being so bad i would never know!

i also change off reserve before filling, i have a filling that its wrong to keep it on reserve which is great as i never forget to change it!

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 20:19 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy13_uk wrote:
true but i use it as a guide to how far i got till the reserve, i normally fill when i get to reserve and meter normally tell me about a range of 10KM at the most, otherwise i would get on in the morning and think,"did i fill is the other day" my memory being so bad i would never know!

same here, my bike does 270~280 KM's till reserve when i start getting near that figure i find a petrol station Thumbs Up
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...

PostPosted: 20:19 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bish777 wrote:
Doesnt your bike have a PRIME position on the tap? I go to prime if i run down, then put it to reserve after the bikes started. Saves much fuss.

No, it doesn't.

My bike doesn't cater for the 'Mamby Pamby' bikers of today. I think Kawasaki have decided that maybe their riders might just have a little bit of brain power left in order to sort out any common or garden problems themselves Shocked

Having a PRIME position might save fuss, but it's nowhere near as exciting as experiencing the real joys of running out on the main tank Thumbs Up

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...

PostPosted: 20:30 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Noise wrote:
same here, my bike does 270~280 KM's till reserve when i start getting near that figure i find a petrol station Thumbs Up
WN

Until today, when you ran out completely Rolling Eyes

You said it, not me Smile

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 20:33 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Old Geeza wrote:
Until today, when you ran out completely Rolling Eyes

nope it have done about 300 km's on the one tank, i did my sums wrong in what mileage i had done with a full tank and what my odometer was showing!
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're nothing but a 'joy rider' The Old Geeza. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:38 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odometers are well and good and I can usually count on 165 miles to reserve on the GPZ500. Went out far a stupidly fast run at the weekend and it went onto reserve after 130. Embarassed

JodieWodie
Reflective Banana

PostPosted: 20:54 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green Surprised Haha..I did this only a few days ago on the way to work.

My petrol light usually gives me about 20 miles-ish notice of run-out.
A few minutes after set off light comes on..slowly.
My journey is 12 miles each way to work.
Anyways..I set off...about 8 miles in..approaching 4 lane BUSY roundabout..slowing down..
JUDDER.
Judder..gone Shocked
Noooooooooooooo
I was in the 2nd lane.
At the give way lines... STOPPED.
Flick to reserve. Nothing. Again..nothing. Wait..nothing.
SH*T! Evil or Very Mad

So ignition on..indicate left..and push the bike off the roundabout. Luckily all traffic noticed me...stopped and waited for me (must be the bright white helmet) !

I then waited and tried a couple more times and eventually the bike livedddddddd ! Hoorah ! Petrol station nearby so fine. Thumbs Up

I usually put the od on..but didn't at last fill up (usually get 170 ish) so had no idea.
Idiot

I would have got stressed last year, but now I don't give a damn. Everyone said 'did you not get scared as all of the trucks, etc..thundered past. I should have been ...but I didn't.
Lil' old me stood on a roundabout Mr. Green Thumbs Up Karma

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...

PostPosted: 21:01 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
You're nothing but a 'joy rider' The Old Geeza. Laughing

Yeh. That's me.

So what's wrong with that Question

Am I doing something wrong during my time off work ?

I dunno!

unfazed
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:19 - 11 Oct 2005    Post subject: How Embarrassing Reply with quote

I always used to put my GPZ's tap on prime, leave it 2 mins then wind her over and away she used to go, no probs!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:34 - 11 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Old Geeza wrote:
...the Custom Title. It gives everyone something to refer to. And they love using it (especially map) to 'slag me off'.....

Just joshing banter old bean Thumbs Up

You should know I like hearing your stories of the old days.
Just think, the youth of today will be calling 'our tune' with a request for 'Slap My Bitch Up' Rolling Eyes Shocked
...and the motorbike stories will be all "in my day I had one of those GSXRs, not like the bikes of today, they're much too fast, and whatever happened to the Japanese bike industry, couldn't compete with China I suppose :sigh:"
Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...

PostPosted: 18:42 - 11 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Just joshing banter old bean Thumbs Up

Always fully understood that, map, and I never doubted it for one minute Thumbs Up

I know I get a bit carried away at times and come across a bit harsh. We all speak our minds at times - and I'm only human too Shocked

But your replies always make me snigger and smile Smile

Regards.

The Old Geeza Thumbs Up

Tim_H
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 11 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't help thinking the 'reserve' tap's a bit useless on my Honda 125.

It's got a 2 gallon tank, and needs to be switched to reserve at 1 gallon.

So when I switch to reserve, i've got approximately 130 miles before I run out Shocked .

Hardly a 'reserve' valve, more like a "here's the rest of the tank valve"

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...

PostPosted: 23:25 - 11 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim_H wrote:
Hardly a 'reserve' valve, more like a "here's the rest of the tank valve"

Yeh, they are a bit like that I'm afraid. My CG was just about the same. Bit of a laugh, really, but, at least you do get a warning!

Also, the 125's seem to go for miles coughing and spluttering before the main tank actually runs out, so you've got absolutely loads of time to find the reserve tap and turn it on. You can even stop the bike, get off, find the tap and change to reserve without even turning off the engine. It just keeps running Shocked

Nice reply though Thumbs Up

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 202 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2