Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Research Question.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Lex
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 25 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Research Question..... Reply with quote

I've been hired to set up a bike advocacy program in a city in Canada. We've completed one stage of the research and are now trying to uncover the barriers that keep people from using their bikes to commute to work. We're looking for general opinion answers....

1) If you commute to work via bike, what is your primary motivation for doing so?

2) Why do you think stops people who normally might consider biking to work from doing so?

Thanks for taking the time to consider and answer,
Lex
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:09 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why do you think stops people who normally might consider biking to work from doing so?


Presume the first word should actually be 'what'. Wink

Unable to fit all work equipment on bike.

Company car is free.

Extra insurance premium to be payed if bike is used for commuting to work.

Universally shit parts and workshop service from motorcycle shops ensures that relying on a bike for transport means it is likely to be off the road for several days with something as simple as a broken chain/snapped lever. eg, it recently took five days to get an air filter for one of the most common bikes in the UK (GPZ500s) to me.

Risk of bike theft or damage when parked at work.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lex
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 25 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:15 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: I'm starting out on minus karma....LOL Reply with quote

Has anyone started out on a minus karma score before? *Hanging head in shame* You are absolutely correct, the first word should be "what." I checked the message over before posting and just didn't even notice. *sigh* It's been a long decade. LOL

Thanks for responding,
Lex
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:15 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) If you commute to work via bike, what is your primary motivation for doing so?

Cheaper on gas, Insurance is lower than a car, and i enjoy it.

2) What do you think stops people who normally might consider biking to work from doing so?

Weather temprature etc, they can afford the gas prices Wink there wimps Wink
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) If you commute to work via bike, what is your primary motivation for doing so?

I couldn't give one reason, mainly because a) At the moment it's the only time I get to ride b) It's cheaper on fuel and c) It's quicker through traffic

2) Why do you think stops people who normally might consider biking to work from doing so?

I couldn't decide whether you meant people who like riding already, or people who drive cars and haven't touched bikes before.

The former, I think some people have too much equipment to carry into work, and for the latter I think it's a general fear of motorcycles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:32 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Research Question..... Reply with quote

Lex wrote:
1) If you commute to work via bike, what is your primary motivation for doing so?


Filtering. Can get through to the city centre about 10-15 minutes quicker than a car can in Glasgow. This is closely followed by the fact I can pretty much park anywhere, it has better fuel efficiency than my dad's VW Passat and also the fact I enjoy it. Wink Thumbs Up

Lex wrote:
2) Why do you think stops people who normally might consider biking to work from doing so?


They prefer the comforts of a car Confused Air conditioning, radio, eating etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:10 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Research Question..... Reply with quote

Lex wrote:
1) If you commute to work via bike, what is your primary motivation for doing so?


Less likely to get caught in a hideous traffic jam, so more choices as to route (eg, I might consider the motorway on the way home on a Friday evening on the bike but would rather do unpaid overtime that try that in the car).

Lex wrote:
2) Why do you think stops people who normally might consider biking to work from doing so?


Extra cost (most people would need a car as well, so it is a large chunk of extra money to have a bike), perceptions of safety, licensing issues (ie, requirement for a motorcycle licence), extra insurance cost, lack of secure bike parking, lack of storage facilities for bike gear, pathetic motorcycle tyre life and image.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:11 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) cheaper, quicker and more fun than a car
2) bad weather is less fun and being cosy in a car might be better sometimes if there is no traffic. People unlikely to take up biking if they think its too risky.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:14 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Research Question..... Reply with quote

Lex wrote:

1) If you commute to work via bike, what is your primary motivation for doing so?

Bikes do wheelies, stoppies and all sorts of other fun things.
Also a bit quicker, but not that much for me.

Quote:
2) Why do you think stops people who normally might consider biking to work from doing so?

The weather (most of us are in the UK).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:47 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Research Question..... Reply with quote

Lex wrote:
Why do you think stops people who normally might consider biking to work from doing so?


My car gets me to work just as fast, is better on fuel and generally cheaper to run, keeps me dry, and doesn't crumple my suit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teaman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:00 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

answer to q1, i dont drive so bike makes sence, quicker (and cheeper) than public transport and cars

answer to q2, they have cars. weather plays a factor, work equipment, security, insurance, hastle of taking so long getting ready for a short ride.
____________________
There is no point in ranting about someone stupid because there is nothing u can do about it. There is no cure for stupid.
Someone stupid does not realise they r stupid.stupidity is indistinguishable from malice U just have to accept that some people are thick as p1gsh1t and work around them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Lex
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 25 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Thank you to everyone who responded..... Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who took the time to consider the question and respond. Your responses were awesome and will be be very helpful in the design of the program.

Thanks again,
Lex Dance!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) If you commute to work via bike, what is your primary motivation for doing so?

I can get to where I am going quicker rain or shine. once at uni I can park on campus away from the back streets so my vehicle is safe and locked up. I dont sit in the traffic.

Dont drive a car so public transport adds another 3 hours minimum to my day if I took bus/train.

2) Why do you think stops people who normally might consider biking to work from doing so?

People may own bikes that are not suited to be commuted on and hence they are toys which would be no fun to commute on. Creature comforts.

oh and not feeling the force.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Liono
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:26 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Research Question..... Reply with quote

1) If you commute to work via bike, what is your primary motivation for doing so?

Well, I have to carry a lot of stuff into work, so the bike is impractical in this respect. I also have to spend a lot longer getting changed into and out of leathers/waterproofs than I would in a car, and the cost of consumables seems much higher on my bike than it would for the equivalent milage in a car. In the winter I get cold and wet, and in the summer I get hot and sweaty. Despite this, I still love my ride into work and my ride home. I start to get excited near 'hometime' as I will be out for a ride soon, and the ride into work is the only thing that makes the morning bearable. So, my primary motivation for commuting on my bike is the fact that i enjoy it.

2) Why do you think stops people who normally might consider biking to work from doing so?

People who already ride bikes:
Arrow Cold, wet weather, especially in winter
Arrow The fact that you can jump into and out of a car without faffing with leathers etc.
Arrow Many people like to keep their bikes as weekend toys only, perhaps by commuting they would dilute the fun they feel at the weekend - the Sunday ride would no longer be special.
Arrow Keeping on top of the cleaning. During winter in the UK (presumably in Canada too) a lot of grit is used on the roads, which means a fair bit of cleaning just to stop the bike dropping to bits. Perhaps for the people who strip, wash and rebuild their bikes after each trip to the shops this would be far too much work.

People who don't ride bikes:
Well, I'm not sure if you would convert many people to bikes simply as a commuting tool, possibly scooters though (check out scooter sales in London before and after the congestion charge if you are interested). I should imagine that the people who commute on bikes are already bikers who just happen to use their bikes for work. I don't think many people will come into biking purely for commuting purposes. However, barriers to non-bikers commuting on bikes could include:
Arrow Cost issues of running a bike as well as a car.
Arrow Lack of knowledge, experience of or contact with the biking community.
Arrow Percieved image of bikers. This varies from bearded Hells Angel type stereotypes to loony wheelie everywhere at 150mph type assumptions. These are rarely positive associations with bikers.
Arrow If you are over about 30 and you buy a bike, people automatically assume you are having a mid-life crisis.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:49 - 25 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to commute on my bike as it was my only form of transport, now i have a nice company car to go in Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:19 - 26 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Research Question..... Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
pathetic motorcycle tyre life.


Not necessarily the case. You'll get 20-30,000 miles out of Avon Safety Mileage tyres and they make them to fit almost anything. Using them would kerb anything like an enthusiastic riding style though.
https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/photos/300/g9169.jpg
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 26 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Research Question..... Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Not necessarily the case. You'll get 20-30,000 miles out of Avon Safety Mileage tyres and they make them to fit almost anything


Mmm, but having to change the bike half a dozen times per set of times is not really an improvement Wink .

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:34 - 26 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Research Question..... Reply with quote

Lex wrote:
1) If you commute to work via bike, what is your primary motivation for doing so?

I commute within London on a scooter. I bought it as I got tired of the unreliable tube service, always being caught in security alerts, 'this service terminates here' announcements, having to stand like a sardine, with my nose in somebody's smelly armpit while being poked either by an umbrella or a pervert. I also have a 20 minute walk to my nearest tube station.

It's also a lot faster: door to door on a scooter takes me no more than 15-20 minutes (I don't wear leathers, so no need to change), whereas on the tube, I spent easily 45 minutes.


Lex wrote:
2) Why do you think stops people who normally might consider biking to work from doing so?

Perceived danger, with so much congestion on the London roads, especially the all-too fashionable 4x4s, as well as the arrogant reputation of vans and buses. Also, lack of parking safely at home and at the office.

Obviously, in this country, and definitely in Canada, weather is a major factor. In London, we don't tend to get much snow, but a lot of rain. In Canada, of course, you've got the snow and ice to cope with as well. The rain isn't that much of an issue on a scooter, though, as we can have full height windscreens and leg covers to stay dry.

Also, people seem to be carrying a lot of stuff, gym gear, laptops, packed lunches, etc, and unless you have a top box or a scooter, these are more easily transported in a car or on the tube. It also makes it more difficult to carry any shopping home, be it grocery shopping en route or the pair of shoes you bought at lunchtime.

A small thing my colleagues keep saying is that if they were to buy a bike, they would no longer be able to read, and for a new parent, the tube journey is often the only time they have for themselves.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:29 - 27 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had a motorbike for a year and a scooter for about a month.

Id say the concerns in the wet are different for scooter and motorbike

You dont get as wet on a big scooter with a big fairing, but its far less stable in the wet than a motorbike.

Id say a scooter is quite dangerous in the wet unless you ride quite slowly as the back swings out and loses grip.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:35 - 27 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
Id say a scooter is quite dangerous in the wet unless you ride quite slowly as the back swings out and loses grip.


There is a solution: smooth throttle, clutch and brake control. Razz Get heavy on the rear brake or swift with the right wrist on almost anything on shitty, greasy roads and the back'll step out, especially if you're cornering.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tintin
Traffic Copper



Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:22 - 27 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) If you commute to work via bike, what is your primary motivation for doing so?
Convenience, I don't have to leave at a particular time to catch the train, I can leave to go home at any time, and I often have to work late. I dislike the train, especially when it is crowded and late.

Fun - I love riding my bike! I can get home after a commute and feel in a great mood, I can also be in a bad mood if I have had a close shave or brush with bad drivers.

Cost - Yes I know the bike, tyres and servicing costs me a lot of money but I sort of forget that... The train costs £15 a day, £15 of petrol/gas lasts me for 2.5 days.

2) Why do you think stops people who normally might consider biking to work from doing so?

Bad weather (I don't ride in the Winter)
Clothing - you need protective clothing, helmet, leather etc, plus you have to change somewhere when you get to work
Fear of accidents in crowded city traffic - better training helps
Fear of theft - I have had 2 bikes stolen, secure bike bays with a bar at the back to lock your bike to are great
____________________
The older I get the better I was
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:31 - 27 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Dunno if the "no filtering" law exists in Caneda like in the USA but here in the UK you can filter which cuts 15 mins off my journey to work every day and I can now park free of charge in the city (saving £4.30 a day)

2) How many time do you have to put on a helmet when you get into your car (gonna get some Arial atom or morgan drivers now arent we Wink ) As said before its the prep work my -5 mins saved for getting ready

But its so much damn fun and thats what life's all about, if you don't enjoy it whats the point Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

innominate
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:37 - 27 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Research Question..... Reply with quote

Lex wrote:

1) If you commute to work via bike, what is your primary motivation for doing so?


Work life balance.
Travelling via bike gives me an extra hour or more each day to do what I want. ie not in traffic jams or waiting for public transport.

Lex wrote:

2) Why do you think stops people who normally might consider biking to work from doing so?


The weather. The hassle of getting kitted up for the conditions you have to ride in. (May even be more appropriate in Canada, guessing cold winters)
____________________
I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:06 - 27 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
COLINWALL wrote:
Id say a scooter is quite dangerous in the wet unless you ride quite slowly as the back swings out and loses grip.


There is a solution: smooth throttle, clutch and brake control. Razz Get heavy on the rear brake or swift with the right wrist on almost anything on shitty, greasy roads and the back'll step out, especially if you're cornering.



its not just that, its the way weight is distributed that will mean its always gonna be worse in the wet and on fast bends

I love my yp250 scooter but with all the weight at the back, you need to be more careful than on a perfectly balance mid engined rs125.

Generally I will use my yp250 in town, but I might revert to rs125 in icy weather.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.22 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.62 Kb