Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


BHP - Broken Horse Power

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

scorpio69
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 10 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:43 - 27 Oct 2005    Post subject: BHP - Broken Horse Power Reply with quote

Embarassed I haven't been on line for a while - I've been in hospital recovering from a "One Horse Power" incident. What's that? I hear you ask. Well, um, now for the embarrassing bit. I only started riding this year - May - and I got myself a Honda NSR. I got ribbed a lot by the guys who I know as they thought, being a lady, that there was no way I could ride one. I proved them wrong but my biking was cut short by an arm op so I only rode for almost two months. I started riding my bike again and it was a great late summer day and I thought I'd blast up to my parents. It's in the middle of nowhere with some bitching roads (as in really crap and hard work). My mum got herself a young horse called Charlie. She wanted me to try his new saddle out on him and as I went to mount he threw one almighty buck and I was airborne. Unfortunately, on the way down, I took out a low level retaining wall and succeeded in breaking my tibia, fibula and ankle. Sick The pain was unbelievable and unfortunately for me I was conscious throughout so I could see my foot flopping about on the end of my leg and all the blood etc. Hey! You should have seen the state of the wall! Wink When the paramedics arrived I was laughing (think they thought I was delirious) but it occurred to me that I'd been joking about wearing my bike boots and leathers etc and it was kind of ironic. I use to ride horses all the time as a kid and never broke a bone no matter what kind of fall I'd had. Turns out the break is similar to what would happen if you weren't wearing protective boot wear on a bike and went down and impacted with something. I don't know how long it will be before I can walk again but I'm determined to ride my bike again. 3 ops so far and 5 weeks on today, I'm hoping it won't be too long. As for Charlie, well, no more one horse power for me. Besides, he made a "Charlie" out of me and I can't let that go!

Anyone else had one of these breaks and how long did it take before you could ride again?

P.S. Any suggestions as to how to make a manual wheelchair more interesting?!!!!! Laughing
____________________
Smile Live Life to the Full
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

phill.c
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 27 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad luck your having, just make sure you get the ok before getting back on the bike, as you havn't been riding long. but i hope everything goes well for you so you can get out on it soon.
3 ops in 5 weeks bet you feel like shite Very Happy
im sure soemeone will have a spare engine you can borrow to stick on the whhelchair, or see how long you can wheelie it for Cool
____________________
CBR400RR the funs started - Honda MTX 125 ongoing project when i can be arsed Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

scorpio69
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 10 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 27 Oct 2005    Post subject: BHP Reply with quote

Thanks Phill - to say I've got a bad case of cabin fever is an understatement!

By the way, how cruel is this site? I couldn't help but notice all the "Horse Holidays" etc links come up on the bottom of this page. B*stards!
____________________
Smile Live Life to the Full
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 27 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Ouch. Hope you recover quickly. Length of recovery seems to vary but hopefully you are well on your way.

The NHS wheelchairs are too heavy to do anything with short of using them as a boat anchor. Said from experience of pushing one for a while including just about killing myself up a steep hill. On the other hand if you go to Alton Towers you can avoid all the queues.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LUXY DJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 27 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: BHP - Broken Horse Power Reply with quote

scorpio69 wrote:
Hey! You should have seen the state of the wall! Wink


Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

sounds nasty tho
____________________
GSXR750
(FAR FAR from standard) www.gixerjunkies.net
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

scorpio69
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 10 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:02 - 27 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: BHP - Broken Horse Power Reply with quote

LUXY DJ wrote:
scorpio69 wrote:
Hey! You should have seen the state of the wall! Wink


Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink

sounds nasty tho


That's nothing - when they finally got me to hospital the Consultant asked me, "And what you done today?" to which I replied, "Had a smashing time!" Wink

Of course, I guess my reply should have been, "Shit Sherlock - I thought YOU were the doctor!"
____________________
Smile Live Life to the Full
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 28 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had any intraveinous morphine yet? the oramorph is shite, bt the push-button stuff sends you on the train to loopy land! Laughing Hope you have a speedy recovery! Thumbs Up

Jack
____________________
www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:39 - 28 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

people say a big bike will try to kill you, but actually it only does what you tell it to. A horse is another matter.

Break his legs and lets see how he likes it.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

scorpio69
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 10 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:53 - 28 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing To say I would have rattled if you'd shaken me is an understatement - I was on 28 pills a day and was also on the dreaded oromorph which tastes like a really nasty shot! The first few days I was in hospital they kept dosing me up with morphine shots and to be honest, I really didn't know what was going on as I was totally tripping Doh!

As for breaking the horses legs - man! That would be darn mean. Don't you think enough animals get abused in this country? Besides, it was all I could do to stop my father from wanting to shoot him! Tut Tut
____________________
Smile Live Life to the Full
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

scorpio69
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 10 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:56 - 28 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack: lid on, leg over, knee down (at least when i pass my test)


Couldn't help but notice your signature - poor you. No leg over until you pass your test! Laughing Whistle
____________________
Smile Live Life to the Full
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:01 - 28 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio69 wrote:
...it was all I could do to stop my father from wanting to shoot him! Tut Tut

Very Happy you'll find fathers tend to have that reaction with their daughter's boyfriends too Wink

Hope you get ok soon. Make sure you insist on plenty of physio so you walk ok.

Just worrying now about the step kids who are visiting their father and his girlfriend. She's into horses big time but strangly insists it's ok to wear trainers and you don't really need all that bulky protective stuff (have to admit she does make them wear a helmet though). Having experienced a few horses I'd rather be wearing my rigger boots Smile For some reason I'm always wary sitting on something that has a mind and agenda of it's own (now cue the sex life gags...Very Happy).
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

scorpio69
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 10 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:11 - 28 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Thanks Map. Yep, I remember my fathers reaction to all my boyfriends only too clearly! At the time we lived in a semi so he couldn't legally use his shotgun as it wasn't on farmland Wink

Totally understand your concern re: horses. As a kid I was trampled, dragged and crushed by varying horses over the years. I always had a helmet and long boots on. Nowadays, the kit is better and resembles the Moto X gear. If you've got concerns - invest in some. Kids ones come up regularly on Ebay and are a lot cheaper than in the saddlery shops.

I agree - you know where you are with a bike. If you screw up - it's your fault. If somebody else screws up and you get hurt - it's their fault. Anyway, you can't push 100mph on a horse Dance!

P.S. Not that I do that on the road of course as that would be illegal Police
____________________
Smile Live Life to the Full
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 28 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio69 wrote:


As for breaking the horses legs - man! That would be darn mean. Don't you think enough animals get abused in this country? Besides, it was all I could do to stop my father from wanting to shoot him! Tut Tut


Hear hear, that would be so cruel, after all I did not set out to deliberatly hurt you. Animals are just unpredictable thats all and need a wide berth.......a bit like some men, lol! Sorry guys Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

scorpio69
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 10 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 28 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animals are just unpredictable thats all and need a wide berth.......a bit like some men, lol! Sorry guys

Clapping Girl you've got that one right! I'm with you on that one. Anyway, a bike doesn't answer back, doesn't mind if you go out with the girls and is always there if you need a thrill! Wink
____________________
Smile Live Life to the Full
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:29 - 28 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio69 wrote:
...you can't push 100mph on a horse Dance! ...

Maybe not a horse but some cows can moo-ve quite quick Very Happy

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/sc_cow.jpg
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

scorpio69
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 10 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 28 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map, isn't that just some Dalmation hit with the Ugly Stick? Laughing Laughing Laughing
____________________
Smile Live Life to the Full
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:06 - 28 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio69 wrote:
Jack: lid on, leg over, knee down (at least when i pass my test)


Couldn't help but notice your signature - poor you. No leg over until you pass your test! Laughing Whistle


Rubbing salt in my wounds Sad
____________________
www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.64 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 101.45 Kb