Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What do you think should be included when buying a new bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:24 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: What do you think should be included when buying a new bike? Reply with quote

When buying a new bike what do you think is reasonable to try and get included in the price? Also what sort of % do you think you should be able to negotiate off the list price?

Free first service, how about the second service?

An alarm?

R&Gs?

Seat cowl?

What would you try and get included in the price?

P.S. I know the best way to get money off and the extras is to buy second hand, but anyway......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

XS1954
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:08 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience, dealers will not include anything with the sale of the bike. They would much rather lose the sale than give you anything so what ever you get you will have done well.
____________________
You're a cock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:11 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure, whilst they can't do much price wise on a new bike, you can get stuff thrown in/discounted. First service is a standard, I find, and I got a cowl. I'd also push for R&Gs, but alarms aren't cheap.
____________________
TheShaggyDA: I've got 3 or 4 pairs that predate my wife, so at least 11.5 years old.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

strag
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH Joe, the mark up on new bikes is pretty poor I believe, so it is unlikely you will get much at all. prices on a lot of new bikes are very low now so make sure you play a few dealers off against one another to get the best deal!

No harm in asking though.
____________________
carbon bling
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:59 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRASH BUNGS for sure!

R&G as said! Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wildcat
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:05 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my lid, a disk lock and a chain when I first bought my 125, but I think it would be benificial to both buyer and dealer if they threw in a free lesson or 2 for first time 125 buyers. Not only would it be great when you're starting out, but the dealer would benifit as you'd be off the 125 and on to something bigger in no time. Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:10 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice Thumbs Up

I've been offered a good(ish) deal on a bike - £400 off the list price (I think) but it's a price I'm happy with. The dealer is local and a decent bloke who offers good service so I want to buy from there. A good dealer relationship can be worth alot more than saving a couple of hundred £ on the buying price.

Will go for seat cowl and try for R&Gs. Will have to pay for the alarm - can't reallistically expect that thrown in. Never hurts to try though Wink

It's doing my head in - not having a bike. But what is worse is having the insurance payout and not buying one because I know it won't get used much over the winter.

When do you think would be the best time to buy to get a good deal? Just before Christmas? After Christmas but before the Spring?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fire_Eyes
Crazy Courier



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:28 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think after Christmas would be the best time to buy, but then again I don't live in the UK so you can discard my comment Razz .

I'd shoot for:
Crash bungs
Seat Cowl
chain lube, engine oil , etc
____________________
Kawasaki ZZR 400 | K5 GSX-R 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fire_Eyes
Crazy Courier



Joined: 07 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe aren't you the guy on 600rr? I didn't notice your name because of your new avatar. Sorry for being offtopic but what happened to your bike?!
____________________
Kawasaki ZZR 400 | K5 GSX-R 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:31 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire_Eyes wrote:
Joe aren't you the guy on 600rr? I didn't notice your name because of your new avatar. Sorry for being offtopic but what happened to your bike?!


I was the guy on the 600RR Neutral

I was hit by an uninsured driver Thumbs Down Sad

Read about it HERE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

shop_addict
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 11 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:53 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about buying from new...but I'm a haggling fanatic.

When I bought a second hand SV from a dealer, I did my normal 'thoughtful delay' face (make it look like you're trying to work out if you can afford it). Make it clear to them what you need to go through with the sale, and what money you have (knock a bit off how much money you really have at the start - makes it look like you're willing to pull out all the stops when you up your budget later). E.g. if you need an alarm, tell them that you have to factor the cost in to your total budget.

Extended warranty is always an easy one, it's a common negotiating tool so most dealers are used to throwing in a bit extra.

If they cause any delay once you've handed over the deposit, you've another opportunity. My bike was delayed because they couldn't find the original can (it had a race can on). In the end they paid for a £170 road legal scorpion can for me. That still got delayed, so I said that I would stay committed to the purchase as long as they compensated me in some way, for example, I needed a new disk lock. They gave me a £60 alarmed disk lock for nowt! Better than I'd expected Very Happy

Also, if you're having extras fitted, ask them to wave the labour cost. As long as it's not something really cheap you have a decent chance of getting this - I said to the dealer that I'd buy a scottoiler off them if they fitted it free of charge, and they did!

As long as you make it clear you're a serious purchaser, not a time-waster, you should get some extras for nothing. But there is a limit, you just need to realise when you've pushed it as far as you can.

Good luck

Jo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
Joe, did you get some sort of payout already?


Yeah, claimed from my insurance company cos I was FC. My insurance company will try and recover their costs from the twat, that way I get my NCB back. Now I have to wait for the other payout that my solicitors are chasing for the lid, leathers, insurance excess and personal injury. This will take ages - I think will be at least a year Rolling Eyes If the bloke can't pay then the MIB will cough up and they have the problem of getting the ££ out of the dickhead.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
Fuck me, that's a bit of a revelation! Shocked A good one though. Thumbs Up


Yes mate Thumbs Up Just utterly fu*ked off that the good weather for this year is behind us now. Can't wait to get out on the SE ride outs again.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

R4nger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask for a knob extension.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

R4nger wrote:
Ask for a knob extension.


Or the full body conversion you had Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

strag
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, do you really have to buy brand new? I got my Gixer 1000 with 800 miles on the clock, still in warranty for £2500 cheaper than the seller paid for it Smile

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/strag/DSCN0611.jpg
____________________
carbon bling
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:58 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon you'd get more if you buy the bike on finance, because the comission they get through arranging finance will offset the losses on free stock. I was under the impression that people regularly got disk locks and helmets chucked in for free, even when paying in full.

Jack
____________________
www.bikepics.com/members/jackcheese <--- NOW FOR SALE! 51 Plate Cagiva Planet 125
Quacker_boy: "Jack, you really are a dick!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mongrel
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 29 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but Strag, you coulda got a really good bike for that much:P
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strag, That is a gorgeous bike Thumbs Up

If I saw the right bike with very low milage up for sale then I would go for it. At the moment I can only find 2nd hand ones that are only a little under what I have been offered a new one for. And the colour I want is only available on the 2006 bikes
Rolling Eyes Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:23 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The margins on new bikes can be thin (default margin is probably not bad, but you are not paying that much).

Best bet is probably to go for getting free fitting and a discounted price on things that you want. Eg, you pay trade (ish) price for crash bungs, alarm, Scott Oiler and they fit them for free when they pdi it. Chances are at this time of year the workshop will not be that busy at this time of year so that reduces the effective cost to them.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been changing my mind quite a lot but have come back to my original decision. Considered a GSXR 750 and a ZX10R but have settled on the ZX6R. Ruled out the ZX10R because it's too much for the road - I like to rev my bike and work it hard - on the ZX10 you'd be going stupid speeds everywhere. The GSXR is ruled out by the Kwak's price.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/baldgit/zx636c6f06blackrhs800.jpg

That's a US bike (doesn't have the flush mounted indicators) but you get the idea.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:29 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um now lets see, what do I think should be thown in when buying a bike...ah yes, my own personnal mechanic that I can keep on hand in the shed and if he can cook and clean that would be a good bonus too Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith - when do you think the best time to buy would be? After Christmas as Fire_Eyes suggested? I'd imagine so as a combination of recovering financially from the festive period and the crap weather puts people off from buying?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.85 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 125.83 Kb