|
|
| Author |
Message |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:28 - 09 Nov 2005 Post subject: Lessons (North West) |
 |
|
Hi,
I've just passed my theory test this morning and I want to book my test... I'm not sure exactly how/what/when I should be doing things...
I've covered about 2100 miles on my CG125... But I'm still unsure about certain things such as...
a) Road Positioning - I don't move to the right and left to negotiate bends, I tend to stay quite central to the road, especially if there is incoming traffic on a left hander, I will stay closer to the kerb to turn.
b) Oncoming traffic - On single carrigeway roads... I get pretty "scared" when there's a lot of oncoming... I freak out a bit if the incoming vehicle in question is an HGV.
c) Holding a line in the road - Disturbingly, I have the tendancy to move left and right whilst riding in a straight line, I can notice my bike moving right when I ride it, although I think it is me rather than a mechanical problem with the bike.
d) Type of license to go for - As I am 21, Direct Access is an option for me, but having only ever done miles on a small capacity light motorbike I am worrying I might have trouble learning how to ride a larger one in the lessons I am going to take before my test. I don't really want the bother of having a restricted bike as I am on a budget anyway and would rather not spend £150 on a restrictor kit. I am also worried about walking a UTurn and doing the actual UTurn itself on a larger machine.
e) Motorcycle Schools - I am in a bit of a fix, because the school I was using has lost their instructor... Could anyone recommend an instructor either in Liverpool or Warrington please?
Other than that, I think I am ok, I remember most of my other stuff and I'm pretty sure I'm almost riding to test standard. How many lessons do you think I should take? I can't really afford more than 6 hours (The 6 hours must cover the test day too) but I'd really like to know if I'd get away with doing 4!
Thanks for the advice guys,
Toby R |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Davo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Davo Davo To The Rescue!

Joined: 05 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:52 - 09 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi, just to answer a couple of your points:
a) Usually the examiner on the test will prefer to stay in the center of the road, I find it's only when you start upping the pace that I start to make full use of the road
b) with regards to oncoming traffic, this would be a confidence issue, I'm don't know what your road experience is, but this should get easier as you become more experienced.
c) It may be worth getting your wheel alignment, tyre wear etc.. checked out, although it may be that the bike is so light.
d) Like you said you may as well go for the DAS, you will find the DAS learner bikes a lot more stable than your CG125 (well I did), you shouldn't have too much problems with the moving the 500cc bike.
e) Can't help you there, as I'm down Sussex way. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:58 - 09 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks Davo,
I think it IS because the bike is so light... Although I did adjust the chain myself... Hmm :/
Getting new chain/sprockets/filter(oil and air) and some other stuff so I'm going to fix the bike up anyway  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| innominate |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 innominate Brolly Dolly

Joined: 18 Nov 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:13 - 09 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi, i did my lessons HERE , the instructors seemed good & freindly.
i passed first time, so can't really fault em  ____________________ I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coast-guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yambabe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yambabe World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:46 - 09 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well I did mine with these guys: https://www.piczo.com/grainger-som?g=4453070&cr=1
Didn't pass 1st time, it took me 3 goes, but that was more to do with me than Malc's training! One useful thing that they offer is a guaranteed pass scheme. This means that if you book a course rather than individual lessons and you fail your first test, all further lessons that you need until you eventually pass are free. You only have to pay for more test fees.
Say Hi to Malc for me if you go there. ____________________ Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kawakid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kawakid World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Mar 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dodger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dodger Traffic Copper

Joined: 13 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ..... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ..... Quote Me Happy
Joined: 15 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:33 - 09 Nov 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
If you've done 2100 miles then I would say a 3 day DAS course will see you through your test no problem
Depends on money and getting time off work, but I think is definately worth it.
If you've managed to last this long on a CG then waiting a little longer to get the money together to do ouyr DAS won't hurt. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|