Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike fashion. Six, Three, Five or Eight Spoke Wheels?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Which do you think looks better?
A sleek set of five spokers, the spokes are thinner, makes the wheel look bigger!
31%
 31%  [ 22 ]
A chunky set of three spokers - Big hard spokes, and only three of 'em!
45%
 45%  [ 32 ]
Six - There's something I love about six spokers!
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Eight! The more spokes the better!
12%
 12%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 70

Author Message

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:16 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Bike fashion. Six, Three, Five or Eight Spoke Wheels? Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm not quite sure how I breezed onto this subject [edit - it's inspired by whatsisname's powdercoating wheels thread] , it's just something I've noticed.

I personally don't like three spoke wheels. The less spokes there are, the bigger they have to be (gixxers as a case in point), and the more they foul up the looks of the wheel. The spokes are so big they look like it's a semi solid wheel.

My NSR had six spokes in each wheel, not fantastic but passable I suppose, but one fashion point I always looked for when looking for a new bike was the wheels. I didn't want three huge tree trunk type spokes, and nor did i want shotblasted rough metal coloured finished wheels - No, for me, my ideal wheel was a wheel from a 2005 R6 - five sleek spokes radiating out to a beautifully glossy wheel.

So in general, the more spokes a wheel has, the less thick the spokes have to be, so up to a point, more is better. But only up to Five spokes IMO.

You then have bikes like the RVF and the VFR with their sickening 8 plus spokes (can't be bothered to count), that make the wheel look like it's one whole solid disc of metal - bloody fugly IMO.

So, eight spokes is too many, so is six IMO, five is great (four makes your wheel look like a quad pizza) and three just looks tacky and ill formed, no artwork to it at all....


What do you lot prefer on your bikes?
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:18 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not a fan of 3 spokes on cars Sick But they look fine on bikes.

I still want those 5 spoke carbon fibre rims Confused
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eww!
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

3. The less spokes to clean, the better. You cant tell how many spokes there are when you're moving so it doesn't matter then.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:24 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR default 3 spokes looks good imho. Embarassed But i dont have 3500 for the carbon fibre wheels Wink
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:24 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

3

Thumbs Up

Only becasue my hornet and ninja have 3. Personally I couldn't give a sh*t.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:26 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have an eye for these things because you have to admit the RS is a two wheeled work of art - like a £1200 MV Augusta Wink Thumbs Up .


Laughing
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:27 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clean my once a week and never noticed they had 3 until this thread started Shocked
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

36 spokes is a hell of a lot stronger.

Nowt wrong with three spoke wheels Wink

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=24139
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:46 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RS's five spokes are a BIGGER pain in the arse to clean than the NSR's!

The RS spokes are such a shape that they suck in all the road crap!!!!
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three.

https://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/yamaha-xj900-85-bikepics-202570.jpg
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:54 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bike is the embodiment of disgusting commuteriness, the very thing which I swore to destroy when I first became a Jedi.
um, I mean a biker.

Grr hate commuters grr Confused .
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:54 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

3 spoke wheels for me, although they look awful on cars.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:54 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steel spoked wheels look far better than any cast wheels you could care to mention.

I believe Marjay posted some pics of the Triumph Speed Triple some time back, which included some of the spoked-wheel version. It looked far nicer than the model with the cast wheels. Proof that spoked wheels can be cool even on modern bikes Cool
____________________
Hard livin', hard luck.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
That bike is the embodiment of disgusting commuteriness, the very thing which I swore to destroy when I first became a Jedi.


No, you are wrong. Inverse comstar wheels are the pinnicle of cool.

You are young an uneducated in the way of riteousness and for this I will make an exception young padowan, but be sure to avoid such mistakes in future.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, curvy 10 spoke wheels are also a design classic. I can't believe noone uses them nowadays.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/skullandscrewdrivers/The%20Snark/rd250lc.jpg
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
That bike is the embodiment of disgusting commuteriness, the very thing which I swore to destroy when I first became a Jedi.


What, the XJ?
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what it is! Confused

It looks like a two wheeled locomotive Confused
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:19 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much how it handled.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:31 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the option for no spokes ? Shocked



https://www.strangevehicles.com/images/content/102666.jpg
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a freaky optical illusion Razz .
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:09 - 13 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Everready wrote:


This is the second time i've said this today on two separate posts...

Where are the brakes?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:02 - 14 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant Hill Mob stylee, how else ? Rolling Eyes Yoe never watch Wacky Races ?
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:08 - 14 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Of course, curvy 10 spoke wheels are also a design classic. I can't believe noone uses them nowadays.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/skullandscrewdrivers/The%20Snark/rd250lc.jpg


Ahh yes, but they're actually in 5 pairs, so they could be classed as a 5 spoke design Wink

Personally I like 3. The SV wheels are just so easy to clean. The NSR was annoying getting into the grooves. I could never get them completely sparkling.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/fuzzbcf/
Bikes: '99 NSR125R, '00 SV650S, K1 GSX-R600, '97 CB500, K3 SV1000S, '16 VFR800
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:12 - 14 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite fond of my RD wheel spokes. Really does suit the bike.
____________________
Honda MBX50 | Yamaha RD125LC | Suzuki RG125F Lucky Strike | Suzuki GSF600S
RD125LC Pictures
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.26 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 138.35 Kb