Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Just got rear ended

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

SimonB
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 23 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:38 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Just got rear ended Reply with quote

Hey I just come in to work after being rear ended by a car here’s how it happened I was going down a main road coming up towards a roundabout and the sun was very bright making me glad that I had spent the time looking for my sunglasses this morning funnily enough I was thinking at the time “I bet someone won’t be able to see me because of this sun” Rolling Eyes so as I approached the roundabout to turn left I stopped as there was traffic already on it and as soon as I moved off the bike jumped forward and stalled and I just managed to catch it before it fell turned round to find a car had hit me.

So got off the bike to see what damage there was and found none looked at the guys car to find his front bumper on the floor lol he very nearly said SMIDSY but said “Sorry Mate I Lost You In The Sun” so that’ll be SMILYITS. We swapped details and I arrived at work slightly shaken as I feel it could have much worse.

So that’s not the best of starts to the day then.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

White Noise
Mr Dudwee



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

arse! hope you are not too shaken up! and nicely done keepin git upright
i would take your bike to the garage just to check it over as so damage may have been caused to the wheel, swingarm et al. sounds like a clear case of his fault so if there is anything wrong you won't be paying Thumbs Up
WN
____________________
Buy my wife: 96' Yam XJ600s (Diversion)
Wing Commander White Noise - SE Clique
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

paulthewitt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:48 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the bike to a garage, and get them to check it over. if there is no damage phone him personally and get him to cover the bill for the check over (not worth going through insurance)

if there is damage, its up to you, insurance or not....

Glad your okay.

Paul
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your chain adjusters, something i failed to do when i got rear ended. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:29 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulthewitt wrote:

if there is damage, its up to you, insurance or not....


Shouldn't that be it's up to the car driver to go through his insurance or not...? It was the cars fault. He will have to go through his insurance anyway to fix his car. If he's got full no claims then chances are he's got protection on it so he won't lose it this time round.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

paulthewitt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shouldn't that be it's up to the car driver to go through his insurance or not...? It was the cars fault. He will have to go through his insurance anyway to fix his car. If he's got full no claims then chances are he's got protection on it so he won't lose it this time round.


yeah i suppose. i gues i meant if there is damage, then it is your choice whether you report it your insurers or not. worth speaking to the guy though as he may wish to settle with out the insurance getting involved.

Paul
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:29 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

He lost you in the sun?

That would imply he knew that you had previously been and may still have been there. Rolling Eyes
____________________
Pictorgraphicalfantastical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SimonB
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 23 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:08 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies guys

I've checked the bike over and found that one of the chain adjusters was lose thats now fixed I'll give it a proper look tonight. I doubt that there is any point in claiming as I'm ok and the bike appears to be fine. The bike is due its MOT on Saturday so if there is something there that I have missed they will find it then.

So just be careful when your out riding in bright low sun as cagers seem to become blinder.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your're ok. Its not just the sun it tends to be night time as well, just lately when I have been riding home I have had drivers up my arse so far they are almost hitching a tow! I have dayglo coat on as well as my lights, obviously but why do they have to drive so close, I dont like it, maybe they think I am some sort of little boy racer and so want to run me off the road, who knows Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

White Noise
Mr Dudwee



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonB wrote:
So just be careful when your out riding in bright low sun as cagers seem to become blinder.


yep if you can see your shadow and its long infront of you, be careful as you are coming right out of the sun and people may lose sight of you in the glare
WN
____________________
Buy my wife: 96' Yam XJ600s (Diversion)
Wing Commander White Noise - SE Clique
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:22 - 16 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its not just the sun it tends to be night time as well, just lately when I have been riding home I have had drivers up my arse so far they are almost hitching a tow! I have dayglo coat on as well as my lights, obviously but why do they have to drive so close, I dont like it, maybe they think I am some sort of little boy racer and so want to run me off the road, who knows


Your a learner, most people will drive like that as you are one. Try and take up your whole lane so if they wish to overtake they must go right around you into the opposing lane.
If in doubt or danger then just pull over, adding 20-30 seconds to your journey is better than ending up in hospital or worse.
____________________
Pictorgraphicalfantastical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.68 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 70.26 Kb